Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best/Worst Redskins draft picks in Super Bowl era

Hitman21ST

Re: Lohmiller and the list.

I took a closer look at this career stats, and have to say that I now agree with you. He was solid and consistently good. But he was no Mort Anderson and had a pretty short career for a kicker.

Chip didn't last very long, but without him, the 91' season would have turned out differently.

He hit 4 FGs in the game in Dallas, 2 of them over 50 yds, and he actually out-scored the entire Colts team [i think ] that year.

Andre Johnson, T in '97 was the worst. 1st round pick never saw the field. So many people forget about him, I guess its understandable.
Don't remember a lot about him. What was the reason he was such a bust? Was he of the Albert Haynesworth variety? or did the front office just do a bad job of evaluating him (i.e., not really 1st-round material)?

I've been working on a database for NFL players and the Redskins, as a way to practice in MS access. I've compiled a list of their draft picks, sorted by position in the superbowl era. Some of it I need to clean up because of the position they were listed in. (before they might have just been listed as linebacker, instead of OLB or ILB, etc). Here's a quick breakdown. I thought this might be a good reference. I can provide a more detailed breakdown upon request.

Wsh-Drafted.jpg

Walter Murray was a WR from the University of Hawaii. He was selected in the 2nd round of the 1986 draft, and for some reason he held out, even though he was offered a pretty fair contract for a 2nd round pick at that time (3 years, $770,000).

The reason was he wanted his option clause out. The option was to sign him in his fourth year at a 10% raise. I don't think we would have heard from Reagan "Where's Walter Murray?" considering his production stats in Indy. But it does look like he kissed his SB ring goodbye.

Don't remember a lot about him. What was the reason he was such a bust? Was he of the Albert Haynesworth variety? or did the front office just do a bad job of evaluating him (i.e., not really 1st-round material)?

I guess they either misevaluted his potential or his mind set. Because the one thing I remember is during training camp Norv Turner yelled at him, grabbed him by the facemask and pulled him off the field basically yelling for somebody who wanted to play to get on the field

Reggie Brooks? Did I miss his name on here somewhere?

Finished 5th in the Heisman Trophy voting, played 2 years for the Skins, 1 year for Tampa Bay, then P O O F he's gone. I think he amassed about 1700 yds and 6 TDs in his illustrious 3 year career.

Well, he was over 1,000 yards his rookie season, so I don't think it was that bad a pick even though it didn't work out in the long-term. What happened that he fell off so badly? I remember him playing but can't recall what went on to cause his decline.

Is this best draft picks ever or best value? Russ Grimm was I think a 3rd round pick and he's in the HoF.

Chris Hanburger - 18th round and HOF....

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=294

---------- Post added April-14th-2013 at 10:22 PM ----------

Chip didn't last very long, but without him, the 91' season would have turned out differently.

He hit 4 FGs in the game in Dallas, 2 of them over 50 yds, and he actually out-scored the entire Colts team [i think ] that year.

Just like Moseley was inconsistent w/o Joey T, I think Chip missed Jeff "I hold, therefore I am" Rutledge.

---------- Post added April-14th-2013 at 10:26 PM ----------

Worst:

Heath Shuler 1994

Dan Miller K 1982 (A kicker with Mosely on the team?) << He was supposed to take Mosely's job. Mosely went on to be league MVP that year.

Desmond Howard WR 1992

Bobby Wilson DT 1991 (too injured)

Cary Conklin QB 1990 (his presence on the team led us to trade Stan Humphries)

---------- Post added April-14th-2013 at 10:37 PM ----------

1981 best draft

Best all time pick

Round 18 Chris Hanburger, North Carolina, LB

Worst all time pick

1- Heath Shuler, Tennessee, QB

Worst #1 picks {why did we ever take 2 kickers #1}

Round - Pick (Overall Pick)

1-30 (30) - Andre Johnson, Penn State, T

1-6 (6) - Charlie Gogolak, Princeton, K

1-27 (27) - Tony Zendejas, Nevada-Reno, K

1-3 (3) - Heath Shuler, Tennessee, QB

1-13 (13) - Ray McDonald, Idaho, RB

Best picks by round

1-7 (7) - Champ Bailey, Georgia, DB

1-3 (3) - Chris Samuels, Alabama, T

1-28 (28) - Darrell Green, Texas A&I, DB

1-18 (18) - Art Monk, Syracuse, WR

2-27 (55) - Gary Clark, James Madison, WR

3-13 (69) - Russ Grimm, Pittsburgh, C

3-28 (84) - Charles Mann, Nevada, DE

4-21 (103) - Don Warren, San Diego State, TE

5-8 (119) - Dexter Manley, Oklahoma State, DE

5-21 (130) - Brian Mitchell, Southwestern Louisiana, RB

6-9 (139) - Harold McLinton, Southern, LB

7-3 (197) - Gus Frerotte, Tulsa, QB

8-8 (201) - Charlie Brown, South Carolina State, WR

8-9 (191) - Larry Brown, Kansas State, RB

9-3 (226) - Ken Coffey, Southwest Texas State, DB

9-6 (118) - Jerry Smith, Arizona State, TE

10-11 (263) - Terry Orr, Texas, TE

10-12 (263) - Mark Schlereth, Idaho, G

11-12 (272) - George Starke, Columbia, T

11-14 (289) - Monte Coleman, Central Arkansas, LB

12-10 (314) - Clint Didier, Portland State, TE

12-20 (326) - Keenan McCardell, UNLV, WR

18-7 (245) - Chris Hanburger, North Carolina, LB

Zendehaus and Clark were picked in the USFL Supplemental draft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_NFL_Supplemental_Draft_of_USFL_and_CFL_Players

Dude never saw the field. We traded a 3rd pick to move up to get him and he NEVER saw the field, not due to injuries but he just sucked. He makes all our other busts look like pro bowlers.

Archived