Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I was just thinking about that. They are probably going to make fun of the whole situation. I don't think they are going to be choosing sides.

I mean if they can't ruin Kanye West's career by equating him to a gay dolphin I don't think they'll sway anything. It's publicity for sure.

Also, I wonder if this is Comedy Central becoming political. Considering both South Park as The Daily Show are humping our legs at the same time... odd.

I mean if they can't ruin Kanye West's career by equating him to a gay dolphin I don't think they'll sway anything. It's publicity for sure.

Also, I wonder if this is Comedy Central becoming political. Considering both South Park as The Daily Show are humping our legs at the same time... odd.

You think a network with The Daily Show and the Colbert Report is BECOMING political?

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph........

I get it. I certainly wouldn't refer to anyone as a Redskin.

Indian is outdated and geographically incorrect, but hardly offensive.

Braves is a trip, chief is a leader.

Just change it to the Warriors and be done with it. I'm sure the sales from the new gear, will outshine any other costs.

Becoming?

South Park, at the very least, has been political for quite some time. There's actually a book I believe dedicatd to it's political views. Just to give a small example:

Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride in season 1 concerned whether or not people are born gay, and if that's okay. Ditto for Cartman Sucks in season 11

Sexual Harassment Panda in season 3 went after frivilous lawsuits

Do the Handicap Go to Hell and Probably in season 4, Red Hot Catholic Love and others, tackled all sorts of issues with organized religion and the Catholic church

It Hits the Fan, Death Camp of Tolerance, and the Cartoon Wars shows all touch on free speech, censorship, etc in some fashion.

Douche and Turd, Little bit Country, and a Ladder to heaven all lampoon certain aspects of politics or the politicizing of things (like 9/11) in the country.

The devestating effects of Walmart on local communities, the steriod problem in sports, the sensationalism of news, immigration, Global Warming alarmism, the haughtyness of athiests, and on and on...

And that's just grabbing a few up through season 10. Political and Social commentary is kind of the staple of South Park past the first few season. Heck, that fact was lampoon BY THE SHOW ITSELF:

Kyle: Thanks a lot for the ride.

Trucker: Ey, it's the least I could do. I hope you succeed, kid. I really don't wanna see Family Guy go off the air. I love that show!

Kyle: I'll do everything I can.

Trucker: I mean, I know it's just joke after joke, but I like that. At least it doesn't get all preachy and up its own ass with messages, you know?

And the following said to Terrance and Philips, whose show is essentially the in universe spoof of how people percieve south park (similar to how itchy and scratchy was somewhat that for the Simpsons)

Network President: Ey! I run this network, not you guys! And if you ask me, your show has become so preachy and full of messages that you've forgotten how to be funny! NO Mohammed!

It's actually because of being a fan of South Park for so many years that makes me really wonder how they're going to come at this. Because their past suggests the normal reactions don't really fit...

"The F Word" was an entire episode dedicated to explaining how people see a particular word that was used as a slur towards a particular group, but recognizes it's used in other forms now rather than as a slur towards that specific group. As a writer from the A.V. club sums up rather well:

"'The F Word' advocates a philosophy that language is malleable and ever-changing, and that the idea of taboo words are only assigned their stigma because society allows them to become so"

Or you have the entire spiel in Cartoon Wars basically saying that if you give in to the demands of unreasonable people who want you to be censored all you're doing is embolding them to continue to force censorship:

Kyle: [runs in and interrupts] Sir! Mister television executive! Stop!

FOX President: Who are you?

Kyle: Listen to me: the little boy who convinced you to pull the episode is a **** child. He only wants you to pull it because he knows it will be the end of Family Guy forever!

FOX President: The end of Family Guy?

Woman: Mr. President, we need final authorization!

FOX President: Hold on, Julie! [covers the transmitter] What are you talking about, kid?

Kyle: Pulling an episode because someoen is offended starts a chain reaction. You'll have to pull more and more episodes until the show goes off the air completely. It's what happened to Laverne & Shirley

FOX President: You mean... the manatees aren't trying to run the network?

Kyle: What manatees??!! [a fist knocks him away and Cartman steps in]

Cartman: Go ahead, Mr. President! Continue what you were doing!

Kyle: [quickly rises] No! You have to show Mohammed, Mr. President!

Woman: Mr. President, we're awaiting your orders!

Kyle: Sir, just think about what you're doing to free speech!

Cartman: No! Think about the people who could get hurt!

FOX President: Ah... I don't know who to listen to!

Cartman: Okay, I'll make it easy for you. [pulls out a gun and aims it at the president] Pull the Mohammed episode, now!

FOX President: Okay, I'll listen to you. [gets back to the phone] Julie?

Kyle: Noo! Wait! You can't listen to him! He's a lying deceitful monster who only wants Family Guy off the air!

FOX President: But he has a gun.

Kyle: You can't do what he wants just because he's the one threatening you with violence!

Cartman: Shut up, Kyle!

FOX President: I can't be responsible for people getting hurt. Especially me.

Kyle: Yes, people can get hurt. That's how terrorism works. But if you give into that, Doug, you're allowing terrorism to work. Do the right thing here.

Cartman: Give the orders to pull the episode, Mr. President!

FOX President: I shouldn't even be in the office still. It's supposed to be half-day Friday.

Woman: Mr. President, thirty seconds to airtime. What do you want us to do?!

Kyle: Do the right thing, Mr. President.

FOX President: How about I allow the episode to air but, just censor out the image of Mohammed again.

Kyle: I wish that was good enough, but if you censor out Mohammed, then soon you'll have to censor out more.

Cartman: No gay speeches, Kyle!

Kyle: If you don't show Mohammed, then you've made a distinction what is okay to poke fun at, and what isn't. Either it's all okay, or none of it is.

Woman: Five seconds, Mr. President! [the programmer J. Walker has his finger hovering on the button]

Kyle: [softly] Do the right thing. Show Mohammed. [Cartman still has his gun on the president] Do. The right. Thing.

Woman: Mr. President, we need a decision now!

FOX President: Family Guy goes on air as planned. Uncensored.

Kyle: Yes! [dances]

Cartman: No! No, I hate Family Guy!! [tries to fire the gun, but it seems to be empty. No bullets come out. He throws it down.]

SOURCE

Not to mention lampooning of media over reaction all over the place throughout the series. From the full on roasting of what news has become in "Quest for Ratings", to the throw away jokes of the death tolls they were "reporting" on in "Two days before the day after tomorrow", and more.

Heck, they've even done episodes kind of making fun of the Ray Hallibritter type native americans, such as in "Red Man's Greed"

I just have a really hard time imagining that South Park is going to wade in with a notion that the Redskins should just give into pressure and change the name without any real lashes given out to those on the other side of that issue.

So first these guys are going to use the Redskins name (probably without authority) to promote their business.  Then they get a few complaints from pc numbskulls, and they turn around and go out of their way to trash the name?  I would say a boycott of Pete's New Haven Pizza is in order.  Thanks to Steinberg for picking this up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/09/19/pizza-chain-apologizes-for-using-wrong-offensive-and-hurtful-redskins-name/

I think I'll order several of their 18" specialty pizzas. But not pay for them or eat them or receive them.

Wouldn't be surprised of Jon Oliver gets on this at some point on his show as well. The recent negative publicity in the NFL will only make this issue worse.

Jon Oliver already did a lousy segment on it after Halbritter's commercial aired. Fortunately, I don't think anyone still watches that show. I love The Daily Show and Colbert, but Oliver's show just plain sucks. Same tired banging the fists on the desk feigned outrage schtick over and over. Only the "And Now, This..." segments are worth watching.

I get it. I certainly wouldn't refer to anyone as a Redskin.

Indian is outdated and geographically incorrect, but hardly offensive.

Braves is a trip, chief is a leader.

Just change it to the Warriors and be done with it. I'm sure the sales from the new gear, will outshine any other costs.

NFL splits merchandise sales among all team except where team sells it itself such as at stadium.  The $$ from gear sales is a myth insofar as the team is concerned.  And the hit to franchise value from doing away with an 80 year strong brand would be huge.  No way. 

The only thing worse than having South Park against you is having South Park on your side.

There are plenty of times where the show makes me laugh, but its political takes are inevitably the dumbest, shallowest, most meanspirited bull**** ever.  Like the worst of Ayn Rand filtered through the mind of a drunken 14 year old boy.  

South Parks makes fun of handicapped children, don't take it too seriously.

Seriously. South Park makes fun of practically EVERYTHING, including themselves on multiple occasions.

Is it a given that the South Park episode is going to side totally against us?   South Park is known to make a lot of fun of the PC crowd.  There's a good chance that both sides of the issue will be made fun of.

I have a feeling this is probably going to be most likely. There's too much to riff on in this to focus on one area.

The only thing worse than having South Park against you is having South Park on your side.

There are plenty of times where the show makes me laugh, but its political takes are inevitably the dumbest, shallowest, most meanspirited bull**** ever.  Like the worst of Ayn Rand filtered through the mind of a drunken 14 year old boy.

And honestly, this is probably the type of mentality that says why this isn't too bad. When it comes to the "political" messages of South Park, most of those on the ideological side of the aisle that's most likely to be up in arms about the Redskins don't generally like South Park messages

Do you like fish sticks?

Archived