Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

8 minutes ago, turtle2328 said:

1. Rednecks, Racists, etc.

2. red skinned potato. 

3. The Washington Burgundy & Gold

1. Like Pouring gasoline on a bonfire lol. This idea is no good. 

2. This has been a joke for years now, but to be completely honest, I wouldn't hate it if this happened. It would work better if the team was located in Idaho though. 

3. Somebody else mentioned this idea yesterday. I like the burgundy and gold as a nickname but not the main name. It's just a little too clunky for the primary team name. What would be your logo? just curious.

19 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Good God, take a chill pill man. I see that same 90% bull**** statistic thrown around by every fan adamant about keeping the name. It's an insensitive nickname and it's changing whether you want it to or not. You can either embrace the new name or just whine about why we aren't the Redskins anymore. One of those two options sounds a hell of a lot better to me. 

As usual the PC clowns make a statement without any verification, any facts to back it up!!!! Typical!!! 

And of course...no idea why or how the name "Redskin" came about!!! 

4 minutes ago, duffy said:

1. Like Pouring gasoline on a bonfire lol. This idea is no good. 

2. This has been a joke for years now, but to be completely honest, I wouldn't hate it if this happened. It would work better if the team was located in Idaho though. 

3. Somebody else mentioned this idea yesterday. I like the burgundy and gold as a nickname but not the main name. It's just a little too clunky for the primary team name. What would be your logo? just curious.

1. Yes - but it'd be great for the lulz.

2. Sure we don't really potatoes here, but we also don't have wolves of any variety, Warriors is taken/has been changed because it's also disparaging, etc. 

3. I'd keep the logo. It was drawn by a native and isn't disparaging/comical in any way is it? It's not like the Indians mascot.

42 minutes ago, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

*some idiocy Jumbo wouldn't want quoted*

Hey guy, stop mucking up the thread:

12 hours ago, Jumbo said:
dear @THE HAMMER'IN HOG  your most recent post in here will be your last screed (post) in this thread--this is your curtain call so excuse yourself from the thread...maybe soon there will be a new name thread and you can try that :) 

12 hours ago, Jumbo said:
good morning vietnam--wow, a lot of activity here of course and imv the majority of the posting is great (not saying that based solely on whether you're pro or anti change)

but first, on the other side of that coin: dear @THE HAMMER'IN HOG  your most recent post in here will be your last screed (post) in this thread--this is your curtain call so excuse yourself from the thread...maybe soon there will be a new name thread and you can try that :) 

now the rest of this is long and was mainly written yesterday and much of the thread dialogue has moved on from in-depth discussion on what it goes into length on, so you should skip reading this if length or "the way i write" (any of the 'ways', as there's more than one) is an issue for you :) 

i was kinda surprised on gmfb today to see nate literally applaud the change saying it was long overdue, and kyle brandt really went to to town on the matter and  expressed amazement that some were so resistant and how he couldn't see any good argument from anyone for keeping in the name (he was emphatic and detailed)

first, i think anyone hanging their hats heavily on 'these two polls' as major points of support (<---note wording) for 'either side'...you should stop it...you come off as under-informed in such matters and biased on the topic to people who really understand using valid research (which includes amount and nature of type available) properly in forming a conclusion in social science or 'hard' science (i won't be replying to any reply posts defending doing it)

a reminder: i said in an earlier post that for most of my life i made all the classic arguments for keeping the name/imagery (which i loved and meant a lot to me, emo-wise) when the matter arose, until this last decade when it began "weakening" objectively, though emo-wise i was still loving/celebrating it all with good intentions (yeah, a tricky phrase)

some people, understandably, keep talking about "how many does it take" in terms of native americans objecting to it for it to carry enough water with name-keepers

well, rather than focusing on a non-existent body of sufficiently broad, valid, and substantive research of "how many favor it vs not"  let frame the matter another way: if you're in the "i'm extremely upset over this and wish we were fighting to keep the name" camp, consider the following anecdotal comments and information in relation to your views

though i've had close enough personal  involvement with a fair share of indigenous peoples and their cultures growing up in ak and living in the pac nw, it was my work in my later life that took me deeper into several tribes and found me, as  i sated in that earlier post, meeting more and more n/a people who either did not like our usages or were just "resigned" to them as it was often a comparatively small thing  compared to other issues they face and there are so many of those other issues

and there were still a few that liked it too (not unlike our own kosher ham, if i got his take right), but it was a notable minority, and to be clear the topic only came up maybe 80-100 times in that ten-year stint of mine...but while large on one hand, this is still a comparatively small regional pool of a very diverse demographic once you explore tribal diffs/identities vs. their greater unity when it comes to dealing with "us" (white people running things)

so as a matter of self exploration, ask how/if it would affect you if you personally talked with a few dozen different n/a people over an extended course of time and in different locales who were decent, fine, enjoyable folk and they told you with sincerity and in reasonable manner how it did hurt/offend/bother them to see the usage even if many "mean well" by using it and those using it as such have a "positive attitude" towards native americans

would it "count" and how much vs your reasons for wanting to keep the name? would you still turn to 'polls' to defend? would those face-to-face talks be "outvoted" and "dismissed" as less decisive in your analysis if you talked to other n/as who liked it?...is it numbers that the 'principle' in question for the defense of keeping based on numbers to a large extent? that's just one place to begin, if interested

most of these interactions i refer to included those folks believing that most redskins fans didn't mean ill by it, and such fans did indeed "like stuff" about n/a people...but it was still an ignorant, superficial, self-serving kind of 'like' and mainly comprised of white people's imaginings of cookie-cutter warring figures made alluring so we could claim some shared identification that puffed us up in our own heads...underdog noble fighters, and here i speak for myself, too, as a kid especially...just like cowboys and raiders and vikings do their 'imagined glory' thing, imagery/role wise

but all that fan 'celebration of n/a culture' appears as just a really narrow sliver of romanticized focus and really just for the appropriation---a good word for this---of we fans (cue endless pics white guys dressed, often in caricatured manner and acting like fools, as 'indians'....maybe that's another version of blackface)

how many 'cultural-adoring' fans actually invest anything of their time or energy to real n/a issues let alone actively advocate for them, or even just bother to look into such...how much of that has been any part of being a redskins fan who "loves and celebrates" native americans for how many fans?

i suggest that for the vast majority of us it's simply the 'coolness' of the imagined courageous and noble and brave, oft underdog, warrior role we love and want to see in ourselves and our team and that's the beginning/end and 99% of the journey in-between...and we fluff the imagery up in our heads with all kinds of self-identity desires

to those who insist (sometimes screaming it) it's all about principle and what is and isn't fair/right ...that's mostly self-delusional bull****, even given that some claims in opposition to the name usage are indeed false or weak in some manner, or that many of the people picking up the anti-name banner are supercritical themselves in their embrace of this issue...and i'll give you just one 'for instance' in support of my 'bs that it's principle' remark: 

the tailgate is always populated with serious topics that involves all the 'principles' you could think of, yet some who are rarely or never seen on all the other very big issues post in quite animated (even frothy) manner, and repeatedly on this one...so the observable realty is that some are not so moved to share impassioned takes on all those other serious matters involving principles, but when it comes to the 'branding' of their football team they are very activated to go big, go hard, and go often

there is indeed some principle involved with most everyone's serious takes, but there's a lot of other things too

Just saw this a little late, but quite honestly you want to single me out...then you can kiss my ass blow hard! I am not kneeling to your PC BS, and your holier than thou judgments of others because "you" don't agree with them!!! Especially for some stupid football blog "supervisor" LOL! So go look in the mirror, pat yourself on the back, and tell yourself how important you are, then send your big time resume to Mark Zuckerberg, he doesn't have enough PC no nothings working for him, attempting to tell everyone what to say and how to act!!   Redskin football moderator  Yeah I will bend over backwards!!! lol Frigg'in joke!!! 

Imagine threatening to stop watching football because you don't get to refer to people based on their skin color in 2020.

I would say this is my last post in this thread, but I'm a human being and I can't help myself.

I welcome the change and I'll root for Washington football because they will always be my home team.  Hopefully they can make something of themselves with new talent, a new head coach, a new culture, and a new name.

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

WarHawks

I've been a fan of WarHawks for awhile. I believe it goes back to just prior to the War of 1812. I'll bet someone could come up with a pretty cool design for a WarHawk. 

I figured this board is gonna get cleaned out real quick in the coming weeks.

We are in the lashing out stage, but it will stabilize once the new name sets in and the positive, supportive people remain.

What we are witnessing is a lot of users giving us their death throes.

Archived