Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

12 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Does YouTube Red have a separate app or do you just use a regular YouTube app and log in and subscribe to watch?

I think they have a first month free trial. 

I wasn't expecting much going into it, but after watching it the other night I was surprised how much fun it was. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TK said:

I think they have a first month free trial. 

I wasn't expecting much going into it, but after watching it the other night I was surprised how much fun it was. 

Cool, regardless I’m gonna check it out now. Your recommendations have never left me disappointed.  

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 10:18 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Asked my roommate. You just pay You tube and it turns your You tube into YouTubeRed, so no separate app.

Checking out this new YouRedTube with my family and I think...I may be on the wrong site.

:mellow:  :blink:

:P  Just kidding.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Checking out this new YouRedTube with my family and I think...I may be on the wrong site.

:mellow:  :blink:

:P  Just kidding.

What?  Is Stormy getting into the Streaming business.

Everyone is come up with a streaming service.

For those who have seen it, were you surprised who you were rooting for?

Spoiler

I was surprised that I would be rooting for Johnny.  Really showed depth for his character and why he did what he did.  I thought Daniel was actually a dick, for most the series.

Six episodes into The Handmaid's Tale.  Not sure I've ever been so off as far as what I was expecting the show to be versus what it actually was.   I love this show so far, and per usual, Ann Dowd is brilliant.  One of the best actresses out there right now.  I recognize Elisabeth Moss, thought not seen her in a whole lot.  She's been great so far.  

And with everything going on today politically, it's eerie how possible it seems that an America like the one portrayed in Handmaid's Tale could happen.  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

Cobra Kai was excellent.  My biggest worry going in was that it would rely far too much on nostalgia and be empty without it, but they managed to really make a compelling storyline(s) and set it up great for future seasons.  I'd say the only thing that felt rushed and a bit corny was the tournament itself.  It just seemed like all these kids were too brand new to karate to compete in an actual tournament.  I could overlook it though. And wow.....the character who shows up at the end? WHOA.

47 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Cobra Kai was excellent.  My biggest worry going in was that it would rely far too much on nostalgia and be empty without it, but they managed to really make a compelling storyline(s) and set it up great for future seasons.  I'd say the only thing that felt rushed and a bit corny was the tournament itself.  It just seemed like all these kids were too brand new to karate to compete in an actual tournament.  I could overlook it though. And wow.....the character who shows up at the end? WHOA.

Wife and I just binge watched all 10 episodes today.  It was fantastic, imo.  When Johnny was talking to Miguel at the tourny he said you've been training all year for this.  Still rushed though.  I loved how they mixed in clips from the movie and Johnny's character was just hilarious.  Perfect mix of humor, nostalgia and story.  Can't wait for season 2.  

This was solid gold.  And @TK was right, you get a free month trial when you first sign up, so I'd recommend doing that as it's one of the better series out there right now.

22 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Wife and I just binge watched all 10 episodes today.  It was fantastic, imo.  When Johnny was talking to Miguel at the tourny he said you've been training all year for this.  Still rushed though.  I loved how they mixed in clips from the movie and Johnny's character was just hilarious.  Perfect mix of humor, nostalgia and story.  Can't wait for season 2.  

This was solid gold.  And @TK was right, you get a free month trial when you first sign up, so I'd recommend doing that as it's one of the better series out there right now.

My wife and I binged all 10 episodes yesterday.  Add me to the list of those recommending this show.  Hollywood needs to take notes on this one because this is so much better than their reboot formula.  The writers did a great job here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chew said:

Six episodes into The Handmaid's Tale.  Not sure I've ever been so off as far as what I was expecting the show to be versus what it actually was.   I love this show so far, and per usual, Ann Dowd is brilliant.  One of the best actresses out there right now.  I recognize Elisabeth Moss, thought not seen her in a whole lot.  She's been great so far.  

And with everything going on today politically, it's eerie how possible it seems that an America like the one portrayed in Handmaid's Tale could happen.  

Absolutely loved this show. Season 2 just started at the end of April. Elizabeth Moss is outstanding and the show is just fantastic. Definitely topical with the way current events are unfolding. It’s a warning  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

It just seemed like all these kids were too brand new to karate to compete in an actual tournament.  I could overlook it though. And wow.....the character who shows up at the end? WHOA.

It's not that they were to new for a tourney, but that they were ALL Black Belts in this tourney.

19 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Cool, regardless I’m gonna check it out now. Your recommendations have never left me disappointed.  

So I'm still batting a thousand? :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Absolutely loved this show. Season 2 just started at the end of April. Elizabeth Moss is outstanding and the show is just fantastic. Definitely topical with the way current events are unfolding. It’s a warning  

Can't get enough of it.  We'll be done with Season 1 tonight hopefully.  The Australian actress who plays Serena Joy is drop dead gorge. :wub: 

Interesting tidbit, I was telling my dad he should watch the show.  Turns out he had Margaret Atwood, author of The Handmaid's Tale, come speak to his AP English class about the book after they read it back in like 1991. 

Edited by Chew

6 minutes ago, Chew said:

Can't get enough of it.  We'll be done with Season 1 tonight hopefully.  The Australian actress who plays Serena Joy is drop dead gorge. :wub: 

Interesting tidbit, I was telling my dad he should watch the show.  Turns out he had Margaret Atwood, author of The Handmaid's Tale, come speak to his AP English class about the book after they read it back in like 1991. 

That's pretty cool. From what a friend has described, the show and book differ quite a bit at the end and I think from season 2 on, it will go beyond any material covered in the book. 

The performances are all great and man is it haunting thinking of an ultra conservative dystopian world like this.  Made me immediately go read 1984 after finishing season 1 lol

I haven't started season 2 yet but probably will later this week once I finish season 2 of Man in the High Castle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That's pretty cool. From what a friend has described, the show and book differ quite a bit at the end and I think from season 2 on, it will go beyond any material covered in the book. 

The performances are all great and man is it haunting thinking of an ultra conservative dystopian world like this.  Made me immediately go read 1984 after finishing season 1 lol

I haven't started season 2 yet but probably will later this week once I finish season 2 of Man in the High Castle

Interesting, maybe I'll read the book after I'm done with Season 2.  I wasn't even aware, but they actually made a Handmaid's Tale movie in 1990, shortly after the book was release.  Fairly solid cast, too.  Faye Dunaway, Aidan Quinn, Elizabeth McGovern, Robert Duvall.  It got trashed on Rotten though, 31%.  Not sure if I care to see it.

Ugh, I still have to catch up on Man in the High Castle.  Peakly Blinders, too.  And new seasons of Wentworth & OITNB drop next month.  There's too much quality stuff out there to keep up with.  :( 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chew said:

Interesting, maybe I'll read the book after I'm done with Season 2.  I wasn't even aware, but they actually made a Handmaid's Tale movie in 1990, shortly after the book was release.  Fairly solid cast, too.  Faye Dunaway, Aidan Quinn, Elizabeth McGovern, Robert Duvall.  It got trashed on Rotten though, 31%.  Not sure if I care to see it.

Ugh, I still have to catch up on Man in the High Castle.  Peakly Blinders, too.  And new seasons of Wentworth & OITNB drop next month.  There's too much quality stuff out there to keep up with.  :( 

You are all about some Rotten Tomatoes scores lol.  While I think they are fairly reliable, I tend to still take any low rating with a grain of salt.  So many movies/shows out there that get slammed and are actually really good, imo.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chew said:

Had no idea there was a movie either. I feel like we're pretty plugged into movies around that time period so if we are both unaware of this, it may not have been too good lol.

MITHC is really good but some things frustrate me about it. i'll give full thoughts in here when I finish the second season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

MITHC is really good but some things frustrate me about it. i'll give full thoughts in here when I finish the second season

It's really slow at times and episodes seem to drag out to the point of boredom.  Especially in season 1, imo.  I am halfway through season 1 and had to stop cause there was other shows I wanted to finish up and while the entire concept/story is great, just was hard for me to feel like I had to watch it.  

My wife said it got really good towards the end of season 1 and the second season though.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

You are all about some Rotten Tomatoes scores lol.  While I think they are fairly reliable, I tend to still take any low rating with a grain of salt.  So many movies/shows out there that get slammed and are actually really good, imo.  

Haha, I really do.  My wife hates it.  I realize it's not always accurate, so I take Rotten scores with a grain of salt.  But it's kind of my initial "is this joint worth watching" filter. 

POWER returns 7/1/18 :headbang:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It's really slow at times and episodes seem to drag out to the point of boredom.  Especially in season 1, imo.  I am halfway through season 1 and had to stop cause there was other shows I wanted to finish up and while the entire concept/story is great, just was hard for me to feel like I had to watch it.  

My wife said it got really good towards the end of season 1 and the second season though.  

I;m with you. The thing that really intrigued me about the show was the films and the alternate reality. They don't get into that nearly as much as I was hoping which makes some of the other character arcs feel like they drag because i was wanting to get to something else. It does pick up though, in both regards. 

Spoiler

I also went in with the thought that they somehow would be able to fix their reality to match ours where the allies win. That doesn't seem like something they can do or are interested in doing in the show. 

But then Trade Minister Tagomi is starting to basically hop to the allies winning reality at will now so who knows. 

On 5/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, NoCalMike said:

Cobra Kai was awesome.  Finished it a few minutes ago.  Read your post earlier and you didn't spoil it for me but I had a hunch that character was going to show up.  

I hope we don't have to wait a year for season 2.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Cobra Kai was awesome.  Finished it a few minutes ago.  Read your post earlier and you didn't spoil it for me but I had a hunch that character was going to show up.  

I hope we don't have to wait a year for season 2.

I have to assume up to now, Cobra Kai is the most widely known show on youtube red. I hesitate to say "most successful" only because the network will likely judge that by it's budget, which I also assume is the network's highest to date for a series.  I know that I have heard pretty much nothing but positive (varying levels to be fair) reaction to Cobra Kai so far.  Maybe this show could be the flagship of the network for now to bring in viewers who will then browse around and find other stuff.