Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

43 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

it doesn’t go into detail in the show but in the books it’s because he’s from the Mariner Valley of Mars which was originally a group of colonies established from Texas that kept their defined accent over the years and leaned into that history. “Muh heritage” lol

if you are telling me it’s unrealistic that even 200 years into the future a massive group of Texans can go anywhere and not bring Texas with them, I would be surprised 

the history of the colony establishments and space exploration is why belters have a creole accent too 

Well then that explains it. Thank you!

I guess I’ll try to be less indignant when I post crap, lest I get humbled again. 😂

Edited by Die Hard

41 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

It's Reacher.  Not highbrow stuff to begin with but the show is so much closer to my mental image from reading the books.

I've never read the books nor do I care about the books.

I'm just wondering if it is like the movies pretty much and/or feels like a B movie type of show.

14 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm just wondering if it is like the movies pretty much and/or feels like a B movie type of show.

Not at all the slick production of a Tom Cruise movie. B movie, similar to the CW super hero shows but better due to the B movie feel of the original material (that you don't care about).  Deliciously so, with a cherry on top.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Well then that explains it. Thank you!

I guess I’ll try to be less indignant when I post crap, lest I get humbled again. 😂

i didn’t mean that to come across as rude. It’s just something the show ignores but included as sort of background world building. I only know of it  because of a podcast I listened to about the show 

18 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

i didn’t mean that to come across as rude. It’s just something the show ignores but included as sort of background world building. I only know of it  because of a podcast I listened to about the show 

You were cool. I was totally calling myself out for criticizing without full knowledge..... could've just asked first 🙂

• Like 1

Reacher has some fairly big holes in it, but it's fun, and they got the character right. That was my prime concern. I do enjoy the books, and it's a good representation.

I've been watching Raised By Wolves, and it's pretty good. Sci-Fi done well.

~Bang

Holy ****ing ****, "Worst Roommate Ever" on Netflix.  I'm one episode in and I want to stop working for the rest of the day and binge.

First episode talks about this old lady in the late 80s in Sacramento who ran a boardinghouse for elderly people.  Basically she was poisoning them to death and stealing their social security checks.  Burying their bodies in her back yard.

Never heard this story before but it was crazy.  And a legit WHAT THE **** WERE YOU THINKING MOMENT.

Spoiler

So the police are in her house and in her yard digging up skeletal remains and she's like "Am I under arrest?" and the cop is like "Well, no, we don't have probable cause right now so I have no grounds to arrest you." (K, seriously, what the ****, THERE ARE BODIES IN HER YARD.

So she goes, "Okay, well I just want to go across the street to my son's for coffee." and the cop goes "Where's that?" and she's like "In that hotel."

So the cop just straight up lets her leave.  THE COP.  LET.  HER.  LEAVE.

Right after that, they dig up a body of a missing person that they thought might be there, so the lead detective's like "Where'd she go?"  And the idiot cop is like "Durrrrrh, well I let her go across the street..." 

Yeah, she's gone. Vanished.  

I had to rewind that part to make sure I saw it right.  

• Like 2

15 minutes into this Lakers show on HBO and I am absolutely hooked.  This is ****ing awesome. 

They nailed the look/feel of the era.  And the way it's filmed in parts it's like a documentary of the era.  But Jerry Buss and Magic Johnson are breaking the 4th wall and it's great.  

• Like 1

Okay, I finished Euphoria. 

Fiance wasn't into it, she couldn't make it past the first episode where the guys were in the room with Kat asking if she was a slut, etc.  So I watched it on my own.

I loved it and hated it altogether at once.  I think I hated myself for loving it because it's a drama about teenagers in a version of high school that doesn't really exist, though I suppose that's any teen drama about high school.  But this show took it to the next level, like I said a bunch of teenage characters running around acting like adults.  

That said, there's so much to think about with this show and the acting is SO GOOD, plus the way it's filmed is incredible.  It is true art.

More thoughts and spoilers:

Spoiler

The last episode of Season 2 left me wanting more, it didn't leave on enough of a cliffhanger.  

First of all, did they really need to kill Ashtray?  That kid had balls the size of boulders and I wanted to see what him and Fezco could do together.  

I want Rue to get clean but I don't think that's going to happen.  She said in the end "I spent the rest of the year clean" or something to that effect so I think she relapses again.

I'd like to see her and Jules get back together.  I hope Cassie and Nate and Maddy all drown somewhere, especially Maddy, someone needs to take her down a peg or six.  As annoying as Cassie is, I'm glad she banged Nate with the byproduct being that Maddy was pissed.  When she's all like, "this is just the beginning," I just hope she keeps getting knocked down. 

Kat is a character that's unnecessary. 

I think Lexi is amazing, what she did with that play was fantastic, but heartbreaking because Fezco couldn't be there.  I thought it was great how Fezco completely laps her in the field of pop culture references when he busted out the Little House on the Prarie line, meanwhile Lexi had no idea what it was.  

Seeing Nate doing what he had to do to get the disc back to give to Jules made me think maybe, just maybe, there's a redeemable character there.  But that's what they want us to think.  

But come on...Ashtray, really?  

I suppose we're going to have to wait 3 more years for the third season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fiance wasn't into it, she couldn't make it past the first episode where the guys were in the room with Kat asking if she was a slut, etc.  So I watched it on my own.

I loved it and hated it altogether at once.  I think I hated myself for loving it because it's a drama about teenagers in a version of high school that doesn't really exist, though I suppose that's any teen drama about high school.  But this show took it to the next level, like I said a bunch of teenage characters running around acting like adults.  

That said, there's so much to think about with this show and the acting is SO GOOD, plus the way it's filmed is incredible.  It is true art.

More thoughts and spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

The last episode of Season 2 left me wanting more, it didn't leave on enough of a cliffhanger.  

First of all, did they really need to kill Ashtray?  That kid had balls the size of boulders and I wanted to see what him and Fezco could do together.  

I want Rue to get clean but I don't think that's going to happen.  She said in the end "I spent the rest of the year clean" or something to that effect so I think she relapses again.

I'd like to see her and Jules get back together.  I hope Cassie and Nate and Maddy all drown somewhere, especially Maddy, someone needs to take her down a peg or six.  As annoying as Cassie is, I'm glad she banged Nate with the byproduct being that Maddy was pissed.  When she's all like, "this is just the beginning," I just hope she keeps getting knocked down. 

Kat is a character that's unnecessary. 

I think Lexi is amazing, what she did with that play was fantastic, but heartbreaking because Fezco couldn't be there.  I thought it was great how Fezco completely laps her in the field of pop culture references when he busted out the Little House on the Prarie line, meanwhile Lexi had no idea what it was.  

Seeing Nate doing what he had to do to get the disc back to give to Jules made me think maybe, just maybe, there's a redeemable character there.  But that's what they want us to think.  

But come on...Ashtray, really?  

I suppose we're going to have to wait 3 more years for the third season.

Worst Roommate Ever. Laker’s Show. Euphoria.

Is it possible you just have a TV addiction?!? 🙂

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I loved it and hated it altogether at once.

Yep. Welcome LOL.  Euphoria is an over-the-top, ridiculous trainwreck.  But you can't look away.  And I agree 100%, it's the acting that really carries the show.  

Fez.  Am I right? 🤙🏾 :headbang:

Check out the two special episodes that came out Dec 2020.  Really good.  "Part 1: Rue" is my favorite episode of the entire show.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 9:31 AM, The 12th Commandment said:

It's Reacher.  Not highbrow stuff to begin with but the show is so much closer to my mental image from reading the books.

I never read the books, but I have read some reviews from people who did.  I find it awesome that they cast 5'7" Tom Cruise to play a character who is supposed to be 6'5" tall.  I don't remember the movie, but I have a mental image of the casting director of the movie going through tons of actors trying to find convincing bad guys that are all around 5'2" tall so that Cruise towers over them.

The movie was forgettable, but I thought the first season of Reacher was very well done.  I liked several of the characters, and the lead was really good.  Many of the events are highly unrealistic, but I was able to ignore that and really enjoy the show.

I think the comparison to Banshee is pretty good, though I liked Reacher more.  There was an unrealistic sexual aspect in Banshee that I was not able to ignore.  In Banshee, anytime an attractive women would show up in town, they would sleep with the lead character within the first 45 minutes they met him.  If I remember correctly, there was even a woman that ambushed him in his room, but when she had the chance to kill the dude... she decided to have sex with him instead. It was a bit over the top, but I enjoyed the overall show.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yaaay! Glad you enjoyed! I felt the same way, being absolutely in love with what boils down to a "teen drama." Can't wait for more. 

• Like 1