Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could have the skills of any athlete (all time) who would you choose?

daveakl

The choice or Lebron and Shaq brings me to a question...do we have their bodies/skills or just their skills? I think Shaq, and to a lesser degree Lebron, have freakish builds which combine with some skill to help them dominate. Shaq wasn't a very skilled basketball player, in my opinion. I'd take Iverson's skills over Lebron's skills, but Lebron's complete package (body + skills) makes him a better player.

Does that make sense?

Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson... Just an incredible athlete... He dominated baseball and football. Came out of college as the #1 overall pick in football and got to call his own shots on where/who he wanted to play for. He ended up being drafted 3 times in 2 sports.... Just a dynamic athlete.

"Bo Knows"

Went through the thread and expected to see this sooner. This is who I would have picked also. Strength, speed, skill, could run, jump, hit, etc.

Bo Jackson for me also.

The choice or Lebron and Shaq brings me to a question...do we have their bodies/skills or just their skills? I think Shaq, and to a lesser degree Lebron, have freakish builds which combine with some skill to help them dominate. Shaq wasn't a very skilled basketball player, in my opinion. I'd take Iverson's skills over Lebron's skills, but Lebron's complete package (body + skills) makes him a better player.

Does that make sense?

Sort of, but I just want to note that Shaq was actually very skilled for a big guy.

I want Tim Hardaway's ball handling skills, combined with Reggie Miller's outside shooting skills, Gary Payton's defensive skills and Michael Jordan's finishing skills. Not asking much.

Sort of, but I just want to note that Shaq was actually very skilled for a big guy.

I want Tim Hardaway's ball handling skills, combined with Kevin Durant's outside shooting skills, Gary Payton's defensive skills and Michael Jordan's finishing skills. Not asking much.

Shaq was skilled for a big guy, I agree. But he was pretty far down the list of skilled NBA players. If I had Shaq's basketball skills at my current size (5'10/160), I wouldn't get too far. If I was his size in his prime, I'd be a MVP candidate. That's why I'm asking...do the skills convey or the entire package.

Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson... Just an incredible athlete... He dominated baseball and football. Came out of college as the #1 overall pick in football and got to call his own shots on where/who he wanted to play for. He ended up being drafted 3 times in 2 sports.... Just a dynamic athlete.

"Bo Knows"

Why you gotta take mine?! Good choice though, I saw his ESPN story and this is the first athlete that popped into my mind. I cannot believe all these wusses trying to be golfers or tennis players, aren't we on a football message board? ;)

Shaq was skilled for a big guy, I agree. But he was pretty far down the list of skilled NBA players. If I had Shaq's basketball skills at my current size (5'10/160), I wouldn't get too far. If I was his size in his prime, I'd be a MVP candidate. That's why I'm asking...do the skills convey or the entire package.

I am a big dude TD... (Closer to Lebron's height but Shaq's Weight :doh: ) I am quick for my size, but nowhere near as quick or skilled as Shaq was. Shoot if I was, I would have probably used those quick basketball skills to play some D-Line in football. :D

I couldn't decide between:

Rafa Nadal. As others have said, you can play tennis until you die. Hell, you can still make tons of money playing on the "legends" tour over 50. Not only is he my favorite, but the dude can play the sport ambidextrously. And I love anyone who wears you down in a war of attrition.

Bruce Lee or Tony Jaa. I am a huge martial arts nerd and I love practicing. As with tennis, you can practice martial arts well past middle age and it's one of the few sports that actually improves the body as you age, instead of degrading it.

Also, both sports I could still do at my size (5'6, 150, with a surgically repaired back). Even tennis, give me all of Nadal's skills, and I could still do it. I wouldn't be Nadal at that size, I'd be David Ferrer. And I'm okay with that :)

Do we have the skills/abilities of the players when they are our age or when they are in their prime? If its the latter, our age doesn't really matter...

In their prime, but at your age. So say you are 47 and have the skills of Jordan in his prime, that's great and all, but how will your body hold up playing 82 games plus playoffs? How long would it take you to get an audition for a team and even get a chance to play?

I would think the players and sports chosen by those in their 20's would differ greatly form those in their 40's.

For me at 34 I think I could go baseball as the only one of the big four. If I had the skills of Randy Johnson (mentioned before) then I could easily go to an open tryout at a minor league team, throw 100 mph and get through the ranks fast.

In their prime, but at your age. So say you are 47 and have the skills of Jordan in his prime, that's great and all, but how will your body hold up playing 82 games plus playoffs? How long would it take you to get an audition for a team and even get a chance to play?

At my age?

Is there a wheelchair Olympics?

Martina Navratilova.

Greatest female tennis player of all time. She's won titles in singles, doubles and mixed doubles in every Grand Slam --- only a few players in history have done that, it's called the "boxed set." Her list of titles during an open era is unbelievable and she was still winning major titles in her forties (women's doubles and mixed doubles). The lady is just incredible. Definitely my favorite tennis player of all time.

At 31, (if going by Navratilova's timeline) I still have 15 years to be in the title hunt in major tournaments. And obviously, as others mentioned, will be able to kick butt in tennis until I die. Like Navratilova, I'd parlay my tennis legacy into coaching and tennis commentating. I'd also write an autobiography as well as tennis coaching books. Eventually, I would retire a multimillionaire and continue to kick my grandchildren's and great grandchildren's butts on the tennis court. :)

Barry Sanders' vision and elusiveness:

Crossed with Usain Bolt's top end speed: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8205451.stm : Usain Bolt's 40 yard during his 100m record was likely a VERY low 4 such as 4.09 or 4.02. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the_world's_fastest_runner_in_the_40-yard_dash:

Crossed with Louis Cyr strongest man ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Cyr His recorded feats, including lifting 500 pounds (227 kg) with three fingers and carrying 4,337 pounds (1967 kg) on his back.

Throw in some brains: Nikola Tesla: Not exactly an athlete, but I heard he created a deathray ;P

HTTR

Archived