Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So in a couple months I get to Cash In on My Thanksgiving bet with my Girlfriend whose a Cowboys Fan!

Mjbluff24

I'd go with Chevy, Chevy Vega. Has a ring to it.

That's great. If my last name was Vega and I had a son, I think Chevy would be a great choice. I have a buddy with the last name Wood. He and his wife had a girl, but he swears if they had a boy he was going to name him Ply! Funny stuff.

I remember in the 90s when Shaquille O'Neal came into the NBA, how they said with the babies being born then, the name of the day for newborns was Shaquille. My sister was in love (not literally) with Orioles centerfielder Brady Anderson and she had already had 3 girls, so when my nephew was born, he got the name Brady.

First kid we had we spent ages talking about names, looking options up on Google making shortlists etc etc. We had it down to a favourite for a boy and for a girl. Then after about a 4 or 5 hour delivery (at which I was present) the baby is born and a name is blurted out by my wife which we had not even discussed. After what she had been through I somehow did not feel in any position to be arguing with her and that was that. Next two kids we hardly talked about names as I was under no further illusion that my input was needed! I did retain a right of veto although one to be used with caution ....

Amazing, but please don't make any more bets involving major life choices for your children. You got very lucky that he wasn't named Chalupa Batman.

Props to anyone who gets the reference.

Taco Corp should hire this RGV as the first child in their run of ads.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 09:46 AM ----------

She was going to name your child after Miles Austin? Bwahahahaha dear God.

You're lucky, or the kid would have had a lifetime of hamstring injuries.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 09:47 AM ----------

She was going to name your child after Miles Austin? Bwahahahaha dear God.

You're lucky, or the kid would have had a lifetime of hamstring injuries.

I know u are a fan and like rg3 but naming a kid off an athlete is stupid imo. To each there own but I wouldn't do it

Stupid? Nah, unless you're going to name your child some off the wall name theres a pretty good damn chance that the name will be someone elses name anyway. My brothers and I all were named after my parents fav athletes cause we're a big time sports family. Thank God my mom got to choose mine and didnt end up getting named after a Cowboy like one of my brothers.

I thought of naming my son Robert Griffin but my wife said no, she didnt think it would be a good idea..ya know cause hes 22yrs old and it would just confuse people.

But seriously, thats a very cool story. Bets of luck with the new baby.

Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy; there's nothing in the world like having a little baby looking up at you and giving you that cute little smile. Really makes you 50 feet tall and proud.

And you DO know that we expect pictures of the bundle in full Redskins outfit.

But I will admit, just waking up and seeing this thread, I fully expected to see someone having a little humor by posting a pic of a lirttle baby with the Miles Austin Mr. Ed rack of teeth. But it could have been a good thing; you coulda showed your woman 'look, this is what the baby could have looked like if Dallas won'.

SIC

Amazing, but please don't make any more bets involving major life choices for your children. You got very lucky that he wasn't named Chalupa Batman.

Props to anyone who gets the reference.

But Chalupa Batman is a great name.....could be worse could be named Ruxin

And at least it was based on a game and not a draft pick in the draft

Congrats! Hope all goes well.

But your idea is very presumptuous. Naming a kid after a legend who has completed their run (Gibbs, Riggins, Taylor), while a little strange to me, does make sense and is a pretty safe bet.

Naming a child after a current player (and a young one at that) is pretty risky.

By all accounts, RG3 is an awesome dude and will never do anything to soil his name or reputation, but you never know. More importantly, there is no guarantee he will a Redskin for life. Who knows, at the end of his career he could even play for the Cowboys :)

Lets just that Packers fans that named their kids "Favre" in 1996 may not be thrilled with that decision today.

I'd tread lightly.

OJ Simpson invalidates your reasoning.

Congrats to the OP, cool story! HTTR

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/02/21/man-wins-bet-will-name-son-after-rgiii/

Story in the Sports Bog today.

How big a Redskins fan is Emanuel Vega?

“Big enough to name my son after RGIII,” the 27-year old answered.

It gets better, though. Because if things had gone slightly differently on Thanksgiving Day, Vega’s first son-to-be would instead have been named “Austin Miles Vega.” As in Miles Austin. As in a Dallas Cowboy.

“Horrible,” Vega said, seeming to shudder at the very thought.

See, Vega lives in Tuscon, but is a lifelong Redskins fan thanks to his mom. He has a wall of memorabilia at home, posts on Extreme Skins, spends Sundays at a Skins bar in Arizona, and has traveled to Washington for several games.

His girlfriend Marissa Pena, though, is a lifelong Cowboys fan, thanks to her mom. They’ve been friends for years, and have had several wagers on Redskins-Cowboys games in the past, but they only started dating last year. That meant last season’s Thanksgiving Day game would be their first Washington-Dallas meeting as a couple.

“I thought that was cool, our first official relationship game on Thanksgiving of all days,” Vega told me by phone. “She thought it was cool, too, so we needed some kind of bet. She said the loser would wear the jersey of the other team on the last game of the season at a Redskins bar. That would be horrible for me. That would be horrible.”

But they were also pregnant with their first child, and were struggling to come up with a name. And Vega suggested the winner would get to choose the baby’s name.

“She didn’t really disagree with that at all, but she started saying she would name it Troy Aikman or Emmitt Smith, all these old Cowboys,” he recalled. “I would die if my son grew up to be a Cowboys fan. That’d be awful. I don’t even know how I’d feel.”

(Click Link for more)

And Dan gets credit for sourcing, at least: (Via ExtremeSkins.)

I know a guy who named his son after an NFL player. He is now very sorry that his son's middle name is Favre.

Glad you won the bet, but I hope Robert lives up to our hopes, you have even more invested that the rest of us.

One of my powerball numbers is 4...he always found a way to win (except here, where he was known as Capt. Jagermeister, I believe)...haha!

Yep, I thought I had a lot to lose...hubby couldn't believe I named one of our kittens we rescued in September "RG"...none of many cats we've had in the past lived less than 14 years. You've got farther to go than that, and my faith in is your son's namesake, may he have a fine appreciation for who he's named after. (Maybe he'll carry on and be a great lawyer, if not a football player!)

Hail!

Congrats on the news article...your family is now part of history.

Archived