Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THE Official Star Wars EPVII The Force Awakens Thread

codeorama

I think the whole prophecy is stupid, just like jar-jar and midichlorians, but Lucas introduced the idea anyway.

Both sides do not need eachother to be balanced. The force is in all living things and binds things together. The jedi use the force for good. The Sith use the force to cause death. Therefore, by their very existence, the sith create an imbalance in the force. For the force to be balanced again, the sith must be destroyed. Thats the only way ive ever interpreted the prophecy.

The prophecy was that a "chosen one" would bring back balance to the force. In the prequel trilogies, the light side and the Jedi dominated the force. It was Anakin's rise on the dark side that brought destruction to the Jedi order and balanced things back out from all light to light and dark (hence the name of episode three.... "Return of the Sith").

Remember, Yoda said in "Attack of the Clones" that "Misread this prophecy may have been". For some reason, the Jedi thought that the prophecy meant that some 'chosen one' was going to lead them to some special golden age, when in fact, it meant an actual re-balancing of the force with the emergence of the Sith again.

I think that is what the whole 'prophecy' storyline was about. :)

What scene?

http://www.slashfilm.com/r2-d2s-star-trek-cameo-revealed/

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 09:54 AM ----------

not a "cameo" role...and Abrams has done this kind of stuff since Alias days...and since Cloverfield, there's something related to the fictional Tagruato company, or it's most famous product Slusho in everything else he's done. In Lost he's salted things related to Alias and Cloverfield (even before the movie came out). Everything he's done is tied together in his universe (barring some restrictions, I imagine). Since he's a sci-fi geek, he's likely inspired by Heinlein's Future History premise or Asimov's eventual unification of Robots & Foundation.

Palpatines story about Plaguis ability was the same thing as the jedi-ghost trick. Plaguis learned how to prevent himself (and presumably others) from DYING - not from living on as a ghost after he died. Remember, Palpatine referred to the ability as being "unnatural" and something you could only learn if you embrased the dark side. If what Palpatine was referring to was in fact the ghost-trick, then that would mean that Qui-gon, Yoda, and Obi-wan used a dark-side power to become ghosts, and i dont think thats likely.

I also dont know if I would even want to see a Palpatine ghost story line. His rise to power, rule, and ultimate destruction was chronicled in Episodes I-VI. Other than being a "mentor" to new sith, i dont even know what purpose he would serve in the story or what threat he could pose.

Confussion is strong in this one. Allow me to correct you. :)

The "Jedi ghost trick" wasn't Plaguis. It was Qui-Gon Jin that stumbled on that & passed it on to Yoda from beyond the grave.

What you're actually thinking of is a Sith spell known as "essence transfer" which was rediscovered by Darth Bane who had previously wiped out the entire Sith order only to restart it under his Rule of Two philosophy.

Also, there is no Palpatine ghost story. There's actually a Palpatine clone story or two published by Dark Horse. Go find a collected trade paperback copy of Dark Empire.

I'd LOVE to see the Darth Bane trilogy adapted to film. :)

Confussion is strong in this one. Allow me to correct you. :)

The "Jedi ghost trick" wasn't Plaguis. It was Qui-Gon Jin that stumbled on that & passed it on to Yoda from beyond the grave.

What you're actually thinking of is a Sith spell known as "essence transfer" which was rediscovered by Darth Bane who had previously wiped out the entire Sith order only to restart it under his Rule of Two philosophy.

Also, there is no Palpatine ghost story. There's actually a Palpatine clone story or two published by Dark Horse. Go find a collected trade paperback copy of Dark Empire.

I'd LOVE to see the Darth Bane trilogy adapted to film. :)

Ohhh, I'm assuming you've read the Darth Bane trilogy? Going by my mental image, I would love to see Zannah and Cognus...that would be an awesome duo.

I love the EU/Old Republic and the history it delves into. The Bane trilogy was fascinating in that regard.

Ohhh, I'm assuming you've read the Darth Bane trilogy? Going by my mental image, I would love to see Zannah and Cognus...that would be an awesome duo.

I love the EU/Old Republic and the history it delves into. The Bane trilogy was fascinating in that regard.

Yeah I just finished reading it the other day. Working on the Darth Plagueis book now. Then I'm jumping into Zahn's new one, Scroundels. :)

Am I wrong in remembering the Jedi as Buddhist like? I thought they were to remain celibate and thus never be swayed by emotional attachment. Anakin marrying Padme was a huge faux pa specifically bc emotion is easily cultivated BH the dark side.

I don't see how Luke can marry and have children or Lea become a Jedi (both because she's in with Han and because she's way too old.) I thought the Jedi always recruited externally from promising children.

Am I wrong in remembering the Jedi as Buddhist like? I thought they were to remain celibate and thus never be swayed by emotional attachment. Anakin marrying Padme was a huge faux pa specifically bc emotion is easily cultivated BH the dark side.

I don't see how Luke can marry and have children or Lea become a Jedi (both because she's in with Han and because she's way too old.) I thought the Jedi always recruited externally from promising children.

That was the old Jedi order. Te new Jedi order did not operate that way. Luke married the emperors assassin (Mara jade) and had a kid named Ben.

Gotcha. So they just flip the switch and start operating on a totally different platform?

The Jedi order doesn't exist anymore. I'm sure there were thousands of rules Luke never learned, he's starting his own Jedi order and will make up the rules he thinks are best. Besides, the Jedis belief in emotional detachment is what ultimately led to their downfall.if they'd actually given a crap about anakin, he never would have turned to the dark side.

Gotcha. So they just flip the switch and start operating on a totally different platform?

talk show explains it how i understood it.

The Jedi order doesn't exist anymore. I'm sure there were thousands of rules Luke never learned, he's starting his own Jedi order and will make up the rules he thinks are best. Besides, the Jedis belief in emotional detachment is what ultimately led to their downfall.if they'd actually given a crap about anakin, he never would have turned to the dark side.

Google it and you will see. From the 3 - Harrison has aged well than both Fisher and Hammil who are younger than him. Personally I never liked Fisher as the princess anyway - maybe that is all Lucas could get at the time.

This is pretty interesting to read. Most people loved Fisher as the princess because of the bite, the sarcasm, the anti-princess feeling she brought to the role. Her personality was perfect, and it won Lucas over despite the more stereotypical, feminine princess he had written in the script originally.

I'm not even remotely interested in Yoda and Boba Fett Movies. Part of what makes those characters great is the mystery surrounding where they came from and how they became who they are. No matter how well those movies will be made (and i have full confidence in Disney making good movies), i just cant help but think it will only take away from the characters. How will seeing a young yoda learn the ways of the force help us appreciate the old wise yoda we see in episodes 1-6? The LAST thing i want is to have a boba-centric movie that actually gives me sympathy for the character, so when i watch him get eaten by sarlac in ROTJ i actually feel sorry for him.

I know some of you want to see a vader-centric movie set between EpIII-IV which shows the remaining jedi being hunted down and destroyed, but i dont see it happening. The skywalker saga is contained in the Episodic movies - it just wouldnt make sense to have a part of anakins story being told in a spin-off. However, we could see a movie set in that time period, perhaps even one focusing on a Jedi in hiding, and we see them fighting stormtroopers or some special assassins/bounty hunters commishioned by Vader (off screen).

I'd prefer if the spin-off movies focused on smaller characters, or new characters all together, that exist in the same universe. I'd like to see a movie circa Episode IV of a young, optomistic man who wants to join the empire to get off his small planet (kind of like how luke wanted to join the Empire before he ran into Obiwan). Maybe he really beleives the rebels are bad, but once he gets into the Empire and sees what they do, he realizes he chose the wrong side. Maybe at some point he escapes and joins the rebel alliance. Perhaps we end up seeing the attack on the death start in EPIV from HIS perspective. Heck, maybe the character we follow is wedge antilles (since his back-story is not explained in detail in the movie cannon).

I also think it would be wise for Disney to stick with spin-off movies in the Ep I-IX time period until EPIX comes out. If we're going to compare to the Marvel movie model, i'd refer to this as "Phase I." Once Ep IX comes out, we can move to Phase 2, which perhaps takes us to the Old republic. We can have a series of 3-6 movies there, and sprinkle in some spin-offs. Phase 3 could consist of remaking Episodes I-VI. Some of you might consider this sacrilige (atleast for the OT movies), but you have to know its going to happen at some point. The prequel trilogy is horrible and i'd love to see it remade by competent individuals. And it would only make sense to remake the OT, as by that point, they'd be very "dated" in comparison with everything else that comes out and then you could have a more consistent story between Episodes I-IX.

Finally, im curious if the spinoff movies will be carry the "Star Wars" moniker in the title. Will they be called "Appendices" instead of "Episodes"? Will they feature the classic opening crawl with John Williams score? Personally, I hope so. I think its important to tie these movies in with the Episodes and give the Star Wars Universe a consistent feel.

• 2 weeks later...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rumor-mark-hamill-carrie-fisher-returning-for-star-wars-episode-vii-plot-to-revolve-around-children-of-original-characters-20130219

Rumor: Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher Returning For 'Star Wars Episode VII,' Plot To Revolve Around Children Of Original Characters

Last week's news that Harrison Ford could be returning to reprise the role of Han Solo in J.J Abrams' "Star Wars Episode VII" was, if true, big news for fans of the franchise. It means that there'll be clear continuity between the classic films and the new ones, and means that there'll be a chance for them to see arguably the most beloved character in the franchise on the big screen, played by the man who embodied him, before the mooted Solo-centric prequel.

But of course, it led to a certain amount of speculation about what it means for the other main trio from the original films. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, while fairly busy, haven't exactly been regular presences on the big screen in recent years; the former's last major on-screen presence was as '****nocker' in Kevin Smith's "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back," Fisher's was in horror film "Sorority Row." But Ford's rumored signing certainly seems to pave the way to their return, and if the "Star Wars" whispers of the day are to be believed, that is indeed the case.

When you finally decipher a grumpy, semi-coherent report from Showbiz 411's Roger Friedman, it reveals that the veteran gossip-monger was told some time ago that Ford, Fisher and Hamill would all be returning for the new films. What's more, he claims to have further plot details on the coming movies, saying that their stories will center around the children of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia Organa and Han Solo.

• 6 months later...

Benedict Cumberbatch Rumored For STAR WARS EPISODE VII

Benedict Cumberbatch Rumored For STAR WARS EPISODE VII

Last week I mentioned that all of the movie bloggers were sitting on one bit of Star Wars casting rumor. That rumor has finally been published, and now I can weigh in with my own thoughts: Screencrush is reporting that Benedict Cumberbatch may appear in Star Wars Episode VII.

I've heard this too, and I've heard the role he's up for is that of a bad guy, almost certainly a Sith. And it's a major role, one that will continue throughout the whole new trilogy. This part is why he dropped out of Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak

But it's not a done deal, and it may not yet come together. There are some other commitments Cumberbatch will have to break to secure the part. In the meantime, I know that there have been official denials coming down from multiple channels - these denials are why the story didn't break in a trade - but with a JJ Abrams production I never believe the denials. That's not to say I think Cumberbatch is guaranteed the part, I just ignore the denials and wait for the official announcement. I mean, remember when Abrams said Khan wasn't the bad guy inStar Trek Into Darkness?

http://badassdigest.com/2013/09/02/benedict-cumberbatch-rumored-for-star-wars-episode-vii/

http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/20130902/star-auditions-for-leias-daughter-in-star-wars-episode-7/

Star auditions for Leia’s daughter in Star Wars: Episode 7

As Star Wars enthusiasts look forward to the 2015 release of Episode 7 kicking off the upcoming trilogy, we are sure that details about the plot and cast are prominent demands when it comes fans requiring information. We recently spoke about the possibility of Emperor Palpatine and Obi-Wan Kenobi returning as force ghosts in the next film, but until we have official confirmation we are more intrigued about the younger cast members and those going up for auditions.

This is where an insightful report by Latino Review discusses news of an actress going for the part of Princess Leia’s daughter. Their sources tell them Rachel Hurd-Wood has auditioned for the part, although she is one of many trying to make it into the film. Known for her role as Wendy Darling in Peter Pan they do highlight that she hasn’t got the role yet, and they also mention another actor who has also gone for a part.

Apparently, Alex Pettyfer who starred in Magic Mike is one of many who have attending meetings about a possible role, but we are unsure which one this is. Could he be up for the part of Luke Skywalker’s son?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a516346/star-wars-episode-7-mark-hamill-gets-in-shape-for-luke-skywalker-return.html

Star Wars Episode 7: Mark Hamill gets in shape for Luke Skywalker return

Mark Hamill has begun a fitness regime to get in shape for Star Wars Episode 7.

According to friend and Nightmare on Elm Street star Robert Englund, the actor is preparing for his return as Luke Skywalker in JJ Abrams's Disney sequel.

"They've got Mark in the gym," said Englund at the Nashville Comic Expo (via ComicBook.com). "Because Mark's coming back as Luke Skywalker.

"They've got him doing his sit-ups."

Englund also spoke about his own audition for the role of Han Solo in the 1977 original. After being rejected for being too young, he suggested that his roommate Hamill audition for the part of Luke Skywalker.

"He got on the phone and the rest was history," said Englund.

No castings have been confirmed for Star Wars Episode 7, which is scheduled for release in 2015.

Archived