Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THE Official Star Wars EPVII The Force Awakens Thread

codeorama

I really, really hope they use more practical effects. But that's doubtful. As long as they stay away from the fake-looking shine everything had in the prequels. I want grunge, and wear and tear, and dirt. Not perfection and blurred CGI animations.

this^^^

the biggest problem with the prequels was that the environments were sooooooo lifeless and fake

this^^^

the biggest problem with the prequels was that the environments were sooooooo lifeless and fake

Just to say, the original trilogy was supposed to be grungy, dirty, dark...because the galaxy was in a dark ages of sorts. The Prequels were set in a different time. It was the height of the republic. There are interviews out there before the prequels came out laying these facts out. We never went to Coruscant (Rome) in the OT. The OT mostly takes place in the outer rim where there's less money and there's also no Jedi Order, which is a stiff organization compared to the band of pirates in the OT. The Prequels are different. It's not the same story. IMO, its apples and oranges.

Just to say, the original trilogy was supposed to be grungy, dirty, dark...because the galaxy was in a dark ages of sorts. The Prequels were set in a different time. It was the height of the republic. There are interviews out there before the prequels came out laying these facts out. We never went to Coruscant (Rome) in the OT. The OT mostly takes place in the outer rim where there's less money and there's also no Jedi Order, which is a stiff organization compared to the band of pirates in the OT. The Prequels are different. It's not the same story. IMO, its apples and oranges.

The stylistic choice is understandable, even if I don't like it. The thing is that they didn't pull it off. I have a problem with the stylistic choice because we're talking about a couple of decades. That's it. In a galaxy that's been around much longer, that's a drop in the ocean of time. The whole universe went to ****? Fighters and capital ships went from gleaming to grungy, and not just the rebel ships?

No. I understand WHY you can rationalize the stylistic choice of going to shiny and gleaming in the prequels. But I think it was mostly the result of it being way harder to CGI something into looking old and worn, but in a unique, believable way. Much easier to render a clean, shiny model. And that's what they did.

All that aside, it doesn't matter why. It looked like ****. The visuals changed too much to simply be a 20-30 year time difference anyways, I don't care how chaotic the galaxy got when the Republic fell. The only exception is Tattioone because they recreated it. This goes along with everyone in the originals talking about the clone wars like they were this mysterious, ancient war. It happened less than 3 decades earlier. Tattioone is a backwater planet, but Han Solo had been around the block as a smuggler. Yet it was this crazy mysterious era.

The reality is that when it came time to portray the time period of the prequels, they fell completely short of what anyone would expect from watching the originals. The visuals are just a part of that.

Personally, I'm not thrilled with the choice of Abrams but we don't have much of a choice.

You have hundreds of directors out there, dozens being very, very talented, and Disney chooses the guy that is directing a rival flagship sci-fi franchise, Star Trek? The temptation of the force is strong. I'm assuming he was the only decent name available schedule-wise that didn't have any new directing projects coming up.

I would love to see Neill Blomkamp direct a Star Wars film. That would be epic, full of droids and gritty images with emotional storytelling. Ohhh, could you imagine him doing a movie built around HK-47? Nerdgasm.

I think Abrams will do a good job with Ep 7, but let's face it - the story is rather daunting. They have Lucas' outline and other SW writers to leverage, but what conflict will they focus on? The remnants of the Imperial army, bandits/rebellions in the outer rim, or lurking Sith? With the wrong writer, I could see 7-9 being too much like 1-3. Ep 7 introduces us to young characters who will be the centerpoints of 8 & 9 (the Skywalker and Solo kids). If you've read those stories, it could make for an interesting 3 movie series, but it doesn't seem very Disney with all the betrayal, and we've already had that with Anakin already, so it's time to think out of the box here.

I think Abrams will do a good job with Ep 7, but let's face it - the story is rather daunting. They have Lucas' outline and other SW writers to leverage, but what conflict will they focus on? The remnants of the Imperial army, bandits/rebellions in the outer rim, or lurking Sith? With the wrong writer, I could see 7-9 being too much like 1-3. Ep 7 introduces us to young characters who will be the centerpoints of 8 & 9 (the Skywalker and Solo kids). If you've read those stories, it could make for an interesting 3 movie series, but it doesn't seem very Disney with all the betrayal, and we've already had that with Anakin already, so it's time to think out of the box here.

Thrawn series! But please make Jarrus a legitimate BA and not a whiner like he was in the book.

It wont happen with EP VII - IX, but after those are done, Disney is going to have other movies, set in the star wars universe, but which arent part of the main saga. So there could be a movie about bounty hunters or Sith in the old republic or whatever - but they'd be standalone movies that werent part of the "skywalker story" which is what the "Episodic" focus on.

Personally, I'm not thrilled with the choice of Abrams but we don't have much of a choice.

You have hundreds of directors out there, dozens being very, very talented, and Disney chooses the guy that is directing a rival flagship sci-fi franchise, Star Trek? The temptation of the force is strong. I'm assuming he was the only decent name available schedule-wise that didn't have any new directing projects coming up.

I would love to see Neill Blomkamp direct a Star Wars film. That would be epic, full of droids and gritty images with emotional storytelling. Ohhh, could you imagine him doing a movie built around HK-47? Nerdgasm.

I think Abrams is a great choice. He's already rejuvinated 2 franchises (MI and Star Trek). He'll direct the first, and then probably oversee the rest. Abrams is done with star trek (atleast as far as directing goes) I imagine he'll oversee the series, like he does with the MI series. He may even chose Brad Bird to direct the next trek. Still, i dont think you could do better than Abrams to bring life back into a series that hasnt produced a quality movie since 1980.

The primary reasons the prequels were so horrible, in order: 1) poor dialog 2) poor acting 3) no compelling drama 4) over-use of CGI; . None of these are problems with Abram's movies. He uses real sets whenever possible and a knack for casting the right actors and creating characters you can "relate" to. I mean, think back to when he took the job to re-boot star trek. Can you imagine how daunting of a task it was to recast iconic characters such as kirk, spock, and mccoy? But he did it. In fact, he NAILED it. Not only did he cast actors who had a passing physical similarity to the original cast, but he chose actors who could really embody established roles. Most importantly, he made star trek FUN again. The prequel trilogy was boring and "sterile," a polar opposite from the the rich and compelling original trilogy. He's the perfect director to reinvigorate the franchise and remind us all why we all loved it in the first place.

I fully expect Episode VII to break every box office record out there.

I think Abrams is a great choice. He's already rejuvinated 2 franchises (MI and Star Trek). He'll direct the first, and then probably oversee the rest. Abrams is done with star trek (atleast as far as directing goes) I imagine he'll oversee the series, like he does with the MI series. He may even chose Brad Bird to direct the next trek. Still, i dont think you could do better than Abrams to bring life back into a series that hasnt produced a quality movie since 1980.

The primary reasons the prequels were so horrible, in order: 1) poor dialog 2) poor acting 3) no compelling drama 4) over-use of CGI; . None of these are problems with Abram's movies. He uses real sets whenever possible and a knack for casting the right actors and creating characters you can "relate" to. I mean, think back to when he took the job to re-boot star trek. Can you imagine how daunting of a task it was to recast iconic characters such as kirk, spock, and mccoy? But he did it. In fact, he NAILED it. Not only did he cast actors who had a passing physical similarity to the original cast, but he chose actors who could really embody established roles. Most importantly, he made star trek FUN again. The prequel trilogy was boring and "sterile," a polar opposite from the the rich and compelling original trilogy. He's the perfect director to reinvigorate the franchise and remind us all why we all loved it in the first place.

I fully expect Episode VII to break every box office record out there.

Those are all good points. I think I was hoping for more of a fresh face. But I'm sure the decision to go with Abrams will grow on me. In fact, this mash-up just got me pumped up:

Star Wars Into Darkness

Harrison Ford is still acting right... Some how get him involved... :)

Funny you say that … I heard that not only is Fisher and Hamil on board to reprise roles, so is Harrison, which is pretty surprising cause that dude for sure does not need the work.

I just hope they don’t completely **** the bed with this next round.

I still can’t get over how HORRIBLE the episodes I-III were.

Funny you say that … I heard that not only is Fisher and Hamil on board to reprise roles, so is Harrison, which is pretty surprising cause that dude for sure does not need the work.

I just hope they don’t completely **** the bed with this next round.

I still can’t get over how HORRIBLE the episodes I-III were.

Just to clarify your statement, theres no indication Fisher, Hamill, or Ford will be in these movies. Fisher and Hamill have just spoken to the press and said they'd love to be in the movies - and why wouldnt they be? They havent had any decent jobs in 30 years? Their only chance to make money and be relevant again is to be in the movies.

Personally, i hope they arent in the movies, or, if they are, that they have very minor roles.I think seeing them on screen, old and wrinkled, would be very distracting. Fisher and Ford still look pretty good, but Hamills completely let himself go - he would simply not be believable as an old luke skywalker, jedi master. He'd be more beleivable as Jabba the Hutts son.

Hammill is fat? Can't remember the last time he was on the big screen, but he's done a ton of animated work, mainly being the voice of The Joker in the Batman animated series/movies.

In all honesty, maybe they don't really need him. Maybe they cn just have the characters pay homage to his legacy or something, years after he was killed by some rogue Sith or something.

Just to clarify your statement, theres no indication Fisher, Hamill, or Ford will be in these movies. Fisher and Hamill have just spoken to the press and said they'd love to be in the movies - and why wouldnt they be? They havent had any decent jobs in 30 years? Their only chance to make money and be relevant again is to be in the movies.

Personally, i hope they arent in the movies, or, if they are, that they have very minor roles.I think seeing them on screen, old and wrinkled, would be very distracting. Fisher and Ford still look pretty good, but Hamills completely let himself go - he would simply not be believable as an old luke skywalker, jedi master. He'd be more beleivable as Jabba the Hutts son.

Actually, Hamill has made a good career as a voice actor.

Hammill is fat? Can't remember the last time he was on the big screen, but he's done a ton of animated work, mainly being the voice of The Joker in the animated series/movies.

In all honesty, maybe they don't really need him. Maybe they cn just have the characters pay homage to his legacy or something, years after he was killed by some rogue Sith or something.

Well, I can just imagine that if Lucas were doing 7-9, he'd go out, hire a new actor for Luke, and then replace Hammill with CGI. (And sell the same three movies, for the sixth time.)

:halo:

Google it and you will see. From the 3 - Harrison has aged well than both Fisher and Hammil who are younger than him. Personally I never liked Fisher as the princess anyway - maybe that is all Lucas could get at the time.

Fisher was great for the role. She was much more believable than Portman as Padme.

Actually, Hamill has made a good career as a voice actor.

I hope you realize why i find your statement hillarious. He was Luke EFFING Skywalker, arguably the most iconic character in the history of cinema. But since then he's had a "good career as a voice actor."

Thats like saying, "yeah, he was President of the United States, but since then he's had a good career as a Middle School Principal." Get real.

Hammill is fat? Can't remember the last time he was on the big screen, but he's done a ton of animated work, mainly being the voice of The Joker in the Batman animated series/movies.

I'm pretty sure they wouldnt have Luke killed off screen between movies. the character is too important to the star wars saga to do that. Hamill aside, I could easily see Harrison Ford giving a lackluster effort as Han Solo. I would honestly find the inclusion of Fisher, Hamill, or Ford in the movie "distracting" to say the least, especially if they were only in the movie briefly as a "cameo." I think the best solution would be to recast the roles with new actors.

Still, at this point we're all merely speculating on the story. we know it will center on the skywalker family, but thats it. I would imagine Luke Skywalker would be a central figure in rebuilding the Jedi Order. perhaps he would be the head of the Jedi counsel, like Mace Windu was before. Regardless, its likely the movie will center on Luke and/or Leia's offspring and their Jedi adventures. whatever role Luke/Leia/Han play, it will probably be a supporting role and the story will focus on new characters. THe last thing we want to see is a 70 year old Han solo going on an adventure, Leia blabbering in the Senate, or Luke limping around with his lightsaber.

I dunno. I don't see how it could work recasting the originals, when the roles they will be playing could potentially be old mentors to begin with.

I'll say this: If Luke, Leia, and Han's characters were to be included in the new trilogy, and were to be featured, I agree 100 % that it would take away from the new actors, and take the steam out of the trilogy alltogether, making it completely ridiculous. My thing is, if they have minimal roles, I don't think it would work with all new actors, who have no connection whatsoever to the trilogy that everyone considers to be the dominant one, and won't give off the same nostalgiac feel, other than the fact that you look in the credits and their names are Lei Organa, Luke Skywalker, and Han Solo. I don't think that would get a good reception.

I think that if they are to be included (in minimal roles) that they should either bring them all back, or go with another story.

No to Hammil, Ford (who I still like) or Fisher. No. Not under any circumstance, for any reason. It would be one of the stupidest things they could do no matter what else they do. Hammil an Fisher are negative distractions on screen these days, in any context. But since Abrams couldn't resist using Nimoy (to me a barely allowable choice due to plotline and his ability to at least resemble his original character in a movie i still rate well--though Nimoy had too much screen time) he may feel a need to repeat such a choice. Using Ford in limited fashion could be the least offensive, and comparable to the Nimoy use, if he feels compelled to do such.

Archived