Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THE Official Star Wars EPVII The Force Awakens Thread

codeorama

They need to move on into the past so to speak... There is SO much great material dealing with the Jedi/Sith before the whole Skywalker time line.

I remember reading a book when I was a kid (a little after the release of Episode I), that sort of revolved around the maturation of Obi Wan under Qui Gonn's tutelage, and the feud they had with one of his former padawans that went to the Dark Side. I thought it was pretty good. The prequels are what they are, but I thought that Liam Neesons role as Qui Gonn Jinn was one of the few bright spots, and I've always felt like they could do more with that character.

But, I think for there to be a trilogy that Disney would want to carry weight, and be viewed in a better light than the prequels, they need to go a little darker, and continue the storyline past ROTJ. I wouldn't mind a Boba Fett spinoff, or a KOTOR-esue spinoff, where you can go far enough back to where people won't know how the story ends though. I also think they'll tone down the CGI, and go for actual real life locales.

Lucas always said that he felt frustrated at the fact that he was limited technology wise, and kind of had to resort to "Smoke and mirrors" with the first trilogy in some shots, so I guess it's kind of understandable how he said "**** it" and let loose like a crackhead that just hit the jackpot in the second trilogy.

I hope you realize why i find your statement hillarious. He was Luke EFFING Skywalker, arguably the most iconic character in the history of cinema. But since then he's had a "good career as a voice actor."

It's simple. Mark Hamill really wasn't a great actor and he didn't have those leading man qualities like Ford. Christopher Reeve was a decent actor and he wad Superman. What else is he known for? Let's face it, he didn't have the bad boy qualities either. Actors like Hamill and Ralph Macchio (Karate Kid) are one in the same. They're pretty boys with average acting ability. That's why both are remembered for one role. Plus they're roles were iconic. It's hard to shake that.

Would like to see Boba Fett escape the Bantha and kick ass. That would be a good first step

The Bantha would be easy it's that pesky Saarlac that would be the issue ;).

Here's the story arc that I see happening:

- Republic being rebuilt

- Jedi Temple resurrected and introduction of new Jedi Masters/Padoine

- Young Padoine finds a book in the dark recesses of library, discussing how to "live forever" (tie into Palpatine telling Anakin about Darth Plaguis and his discovery)

- Palpatine begins to appear like Obi-Wan did for Luke

- Follow young Padoine's journey to the dark side while still training to be a Jedi

- During the trials Jedi Masters notice questionable tactics (those only used by the Sith)

- Movie climaxes when the Journey to the Dark Side is complete and the young padoine becomes the new Sith Lord

- Main Jedi Master character concludes the movie with the rule of two, a Master and an apprentice

If it is going to be a true Trilogy that follows basic Start Wars lore, we need to see how the Sith basically rise from the dead because without the Sith the Jedi have no meaning. Basically like without "The One" Mr. Smith has no use.

- Republic being rebuilt

- Young Padoine finds a book in the dark recesses of library, discussing how to "live forever" (tie into Palpatine telling Anakin about Darth Plaguis and his discovery)

- Follow young Padoine's journey to the dark side while still training to be a Jedi

- During the trials Jedi Masters notice questionable tactics (those only used by the Sith)

- Movie climaxes when the Journey to the Dark Side is complete and the young padoine becomes the new Sith Lord

- Main Jedi Master character concludes the movie with the rule of two, a Master and an apprentice

If it is going to be a true Trilogy that follows basic Start Wars lore, we need to see how the Sith basically rise from the dead because without the Sith the Jedi have no meaning. Basically like without "The One" Mr. Smith has no use.

Damn, that actually sounds pretty good.

No to Hammil, Ford (who I still like) or Fisher. No. Not under any circumstance, for any reason. It would be one of the stupidest things they could do no matter what else they do. Hammil an Fisher are negative distractions on screen these days, in any context. But since Abrams couldn't resist using Nimoy (to me a barely allowable choice due to plotline and his ability to at least resemble his original character in a movie i still rate well--though Nimoy had too much screen time) he may feel a need to repeat such a choice. Using Ford in limited fashion could be the least offensive, and comparable to the Nimoy use, if he feels compelled to do such.

Here's the delima I see.

Luke Skywalker is the most natural OT character to have a large role in the new movies - but Mark Hamill is the actor i'd least like to see for the reasons you outlined.

Leia is the most natural character to have a cameo (perhaps as leader of the New Republic), but, as you mentioned, Carrie Fisher would be a distraction.

Harrison Ford is a good actor, but Han Solo is a character whose arc has been completed and whose purpose in the story has been served. There's really no reason for him to have any role in the new movies. Han was only interesting becuase he was a scoundrel and a smuggler, but by the end of ROTJ, he'd fallen in love and turned over a new leaf. The last thing i want to see is a 65 year old "respectable" Han Solo as a politician or general.

---------- Post added January-30th-2013 at 10:23 AM ----------

- Republic being rebuilt

That would be pretty good. On the surface, I like that you have Palpatine resurrected as a ghost, because, he'd probably know that trick, but there's nothing in the 6 star wars movies that indicate that SIth can come back as ghosts. We've only seen Jedi come back. And, when Anakin comes back as a ghost, its as his younger self before he turned to the dark side (according to the Special Editions). That kind of implies that only Jedi come back.

Still, i wonder if Christen Hayden's Anakin, Obiwan, and Yoda ghosts will be in the movies. In the star wars novels, jedi ghosts can only stick around for a few years before they have to "move on" but thats not cannon.

If Luke and Leia are prominent in the movies, id really be interested in seeing both of them as Jedi Masters on a revived Jedi counsel (maybe with some other stragglers who'd been hiding since the Purge). From a logical perspective, it would make sense for Leia to be a Jedi as opposed to a politician - There are plenty of politicians who could help rebuild the republic, but not many force-users to rebuild the Jedi. I'd be even more interested in seeing one of Leia's kids turn to the dark side and Luke have to kill him/her (kind of like obiwan being willing to kill anakin).

That's a cool story arc but it seems very similar to what we've already seen in the prequel trilogy. It would be interesting if they got away from the narrowly focused episodes that we've grown accustomed to. I wouldn't mind zooming out and following something else. There is more in the Star Wars universe than a handful of Jedi and their friends.

That would be pretty good. On the surface, I like that you have Palpatine resurrected as a ghost, because, he'd probably know that trick, but there's nothing in the 6 star wars movies that indicate that SIth can come back as ghosts. We've only seen Jedi come back. And, when Anakin comes back as a ghost, its as his younger self before he turned to the dark side (according to the Special Editions). That kind of implies that only Jedi come back.

Still, i wonder if Christen Hayden's Anakin, Obiwan, and Yoda ghosts will be in the movies. In the star wars novels, jedi ghosts can only stick around for a few years before they have to "move on" but thats not cannon.

If Luke and Leia are prominent in the movies, id really be interested in seeing both of them as Jedi Masters on a revived Jedi counsel (maybe with some other stragglers who'd been hiding since the Purge). From a logical perspective, it would make sense for Leia to be a Jedi as opposed to a politician - There are plenty of politicians who could help rebuild the republic, but not many force-users to rebuild the Jedi. I'd be even more interested in seeing one of Leia's kids turn to the dark side and Luke have to kill him/her (kind of like obiwan being willing to kill anakin).

The thing is Palpatine talked about Darth Plaguis knowing how to do it and if the Jedi know how to do it, the Sith should know how to do it as well, especially the Sith Lord. It wouldn't be a stretch and as long as they didn't try to explain it like midichlorians than we should be fine. I really think that "ghost" Palpatine should be the only real tie-in from the OT. Luke and Leia could sit in on the Jedi council and have LIMITED roles but new Jedi that were taught by Luke and Leia should be the Masters that are featured.

That's a cool story arc but it seems very similar to what we've already seen in the prequel trilogy. It would be interesting if they got away from the narrowly focused episodes that we've grown accustomed to. I wouldn't mind zooming out and following something else. There is more in the Star Wars universe than a handful of Jedi and their friends.

Episodes I - IX are about the skywalker family. After Ep IX is released, Disney's going to open up the universe and we'll probably have 1-2 movies per year (like they do with marvel) set in the universe that follow other stories (bounty hunters, knights of the old republic, coruscant politics, etc.) This isnt specualtion, but Disney's already said theyre going to do this. You just might hvae to wait 10 years before you start seeing these movies (unless they decide to get them in development concurrent with the final trilogy).

Episodes I - IX are about the skywalker family. After Ep IX is released, Disney's going to open up the universe and we'll probably have 1-2 movies per year (like they do with marvel) set in the universe that follow other stories (bounty hunters, knights of the old republic, coruscant politics, etc.) This isnt specualtion, but Disney's already said theyre going to do this. You just might hvae to wait 10 years before you start seeing these movies (unless they decide to get them in development concurrent with the final trilogy).

Oh OK, makes sense.

The thing is Palpatine talked about Darth Plaguis knowing how to do it and if the Jedi know how to do it, the Sith should know how to do it as well, especially the Sith Lord. It wouldn't be a stretch and as long as they didn't try to explain it like midichlorians than we should be fine. I really think that "ghost" Palpatine should be the only real tie-in from the OT. Luke and Leia could sit in on the Jedi council and have LIMITED roles but new Jedi that were taught by Luke and Leia should be the Masters that are featured.

Palpatines story about Plaguis ability was the same thing as the jedi-ghost trick. Plaguis learned how to prevent himself (and presumably others) from DYING - not from living on as a ghost after he died. Remember, Palpatine referred to the ability as being "unnatural" and something you could only learn if you embrased the dark side. If what Palpatine was referring to was in fact the ghost-trick, then that would mean that Qui-gon, Yoda, and Obi-wan used a dark-side power to become ghosts, and i dont think thats likely.

I also dont know if I would even want to see a Palpatine ghost story line. His rise to power, rule, and ultimate destruction was chronicled in Episodes I-VI. Other than being a "mentor" to new sith, i dont even know what purpose he would serve in the story or what threat he could pose.

Palpatines story about Plaguis ability was the same thing as the jedi-ghost trick. Plaguis learned how to prevent himself (and presumably others) from DYING - not from living on as a ghost after he died. Remember, Palpatine referred to the ability as being "unnatural" and something you could only learn if you embrased the dark side. If what Palpatine was referring to was in fact the ghost-trick, then that would mean that Qui-gon, Yoda, and Obi-wan used a dark-side power to become ghosts, and i dont think thats likely.

I also dont know if I would even want to see a Palpatine ghost story line. His rise to power, rule, and ultimate destruction was chronicled in Episodes I-VI. Other than being a "mentor" to new sith, i dont even know what purpose he would serve in the story or what threat he could pose.

There are abilities that both sides share, this could be one. Palpatine was simply thrown down the reactor shaft, he could have used the old Obi-Wan disappear before I am struck down trick. I get the conflict here but there needs to be continuity on both sides of the force. Even if they are in a limited capacity, we need to see the proverbial passing of the torch.

There are abilities that both sides share, this could be one. Palpatine was simply thrown down the reactor shaft, he could have used the old Obi-Wan disappear before I am struck down trick. I get the conflict here but there needs to be continuity on both sides of the force. Even if they are in a limited capacity, we need to see the proverbial passing of the torch.

Not necessarily. The Phantom Menace told us there was a prophecy about one who would bring balance to the force. Presumably, Anakin brought balance to the force when he killed Palpatine and died himself. At that point, there were no more sith. Master and Apprentice were both destroyed. If Palpatine wasnt destroyed by Anakin, and Palpatine survived as a ghost to train more sith, then the prophecy Lucas introduced in Ep1 doesnt make sense.

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 10:44 AM ----------

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned, or if it is already a forgone conclusion in the mind of most Star Wars fans, but:

John Williams' score is a must have. Gots to have it.

We still need the classic theme incorporated, sure, but John Williams is 80 years old (will be 82-23 by the time the movie would be ready for him to do any work) and his most recent movie soundtracks have been pretty uninspired. Ive got no problem if Abrams uses another composer.

Not necessarily. The Phantom Menace told us there was a prophecy about one who would bring balance to the force. Presumably, Anakin brought balance to the force when he killed Palpatine and died himself. At that point, there were no more sith. Master and Apprentice were both destroyed. If Palpatine wasnt destroyed by Anakin, and Palpatine survived as a ghost to train more sith, then the prophecy Lucas introduced in Ep1 doesnt make sense.

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 10:44 AM ----------

Does bringing balance to the force mean that there is only good left? Or that there is equal balance of light and dark?

I never understood the "prophecy" about balance to the force....

I mean the Jedi want Balance? They destroyed the siths thousands of years before and the nice side of the force was dominant. Why would they want/need balance with the chosen one?

After Episode 2 I can see the need for balance but not in Ep1 when it was clear they were ignorant of the dark side for decades.

Stupid crap.

Anyway - I am looking forward to a Good Star Wars Movie (Jar JAr Bink-less and any references to Ep 1-3). And I do hope Abrams uses the original cast to some degree. It wouldnt be any good without them imo.

Maybe, the prophecy hasn't been fulfilled and Anakin wasn't the one to bring balance. Besides, each side needs each other to be balanced.

Maybe, the prophecy hasn't been fulfilled and Anakin wasn't the one to bring balance. Besides, each side needs each other to be balanced.

I think the whole prophecy is stupid, just like jar-jar and midichlorians, but Lucas introduced the idea anyway.

Both sides do not need eachother to be balanced. The force is in all living things and binds things together. The jedi use the force for good. The Sith use the force to cause death. Therefore, by their very existence, the sith create an imbalance in the force. For the force to be balanced again, the sith must be destroyed. Thats the only way ive ever interpreted the prophecy.

Archived