Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: STATEMENT FROM JAMES R. ANDREWS, M.D., ANDREWS INSTITUTE REGARDING PROCEDURE PERFORMED ON ROBERT GRIFFIN III

TK

I'm not sure why everybody is so happy about this news. This was major surgery and the recovery and rehab will take months. Whether or not he ever gets back to 4.3 speed remains to be seen.

I do take heart in the fact that he had the best surgeon and will do the work to rehab and get back to football shape, and I do think he will be back to 100%, but there is still a long way to go before then.

The only good news here is that the people who thought there was potential for him to miss next season or even end his career were wrong, but most of us knew that already.

I'm still hoping and praying for a full recovery and a long career for RG3. I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

Because the likelihood that he WILL return to full speed has greatly increased, given what we know of the surgery? Thats why I'm optimistic at least. The chances seem pretty high he'll return to normal, compared to if he blew out his knee completely. I don't really see how its bad news in comparison to everything we thought of in the beginning.

Good question... who did? I didn't.

The point is that the GOAL should not be to get him back by any point in time. The GOAL should be to make sure that he is 100% healthy.

Yes, you did. By stating the goal of him returning to start the season as being at odds with him returning at 100% is clearly implicating the two are mutually exclusive.

Yes, you did. By stating the goal of him returning to start the season as being at odds with him returning at 100% is clearly implicating the two are mutually exclusive.

Ok... I guess I'll try this again.

If you are asking if the goals are mutually exclusive, yes they are. The goal should be to get him healthy. 100% healthy. That does not preclude him being 100% healthy on opening day.

The goal should not be to have him play on opening day. That is at odds with making sure that he is 100% healthy.

So, if you are complaining that I said the goals are exclusive, they are. And I say that because the goal should NOT be to get him in the lineup on opening day. That should not be a goal at all. The goal should be to make sure he is 100% healthy.

And that may or may not be on opening day. But if its not, you can still reach your goal.

Not sure what you all take from this buy my best case is this. The DR repaired the same thing that was done in 2009. And he only had to do a repair of the LCL not a total rebuild of it it which i would think is better right? So if RG3 came back from what happened in 2009 and was as good as he was I think he can do that again and the fact that it was not a total reconstruction of the LCL is a good thing. Here is hoping for the best.

On this note if the headlines in a few months are not "FED EX FIELD BEING REFIT WITH NEW ART. TURF" I am going to lose my mind. For some reason the turf at fedex has always been a mess, but with a QB like RG3 and with him having a repaired knee I would think that we may want to put in the nicest fake grass money can buy. Correct me if I am wrong but were or were not some of RG;s best games on fake turf this yr?

So, pretty much what the knowledgeable and sensible people were predicting. Hopefully this absurd uproar will finally die down. Time to start being positive, people!

All the best to RGIII and his recovery. Redskins Nation loves and supports you and can't wait to see a healthy you back on the field!

Suck on that NFC East. Get well soon, wounded Redskin warrior.

He is absolutely a Redskin warrior. He instilled heart, desire, and a winning culture in an organization that has lacked for 20 years. He accomplished this in one season, it is pretty remarkable. The future is bright for burgundy, and gold. I have a feeling RG3 bleeds it.

However, I hope he remains the same style QB. After a full recovery the number #1 lesson to be learned will be a natural ability to learn to slide. HTTR!!! Speedy recovery!

If you are asking if the goals are mutually exclusive, yes they are. The goal should be to get him healthy. 100% healthy. That does not preclude him being 100% healthy on opening day.

The goal should not be to have him play on opening day. That is at odds with making sure that he is 100% healthy.

So, if you are complaining that I said the goals are exclusive, they are. And I say that because the goal should NOT be to get him in the lineup on opening day. That should not be a goal at all. The goal should be to make sure he is 100% healthy.

And that may or may not be on opening day. But if its not, you can still reach your goal.

Good post.

I'm just going to say this, though. The team is expecting Robert to be at 100% by the start of the season. That's it. Everything else you're saying is trying to skirt around that point.

Yup. Play him for MAYBE a couple reps in pre-season game 3 to just ensure his knees don't go flying through the field goal posts. After that? Sit him in the regular season until everyone and their mother (BUT NOT RG3 HIMSELF) is sure he is 100%. Then put him in. We can't trust Griff to say he's ready since he'll be itching to go by most likely tomorrow afternoon.

Though FINALLY the official word of Dr Andrews is in about the surgery, ending speculation, THIS sort of speculation will carry all the way over the next season.

If you "can't trust Robert" to say he's ready, then you might as well never play him again. Face it, you're going to be a nervous wreck no matter when he plays. You'll never have fun watching this team again unless you let it go, trust the team doctors and accept that injuries just happen sometimes.

In hindsight people are acting like he shouldn't have played Sunday, didn't believe he was 100%. Sure looked 100% when he put up 14 quick points. We all noticed him hobbling, but I for one, was ready to see him put up another 14, it just didn't happen.

Sorry, your post just points to this 'Robert is selfish' nonsense that's been going around. I trust and believe in ANYTHING Robert Griffin III does, and you don't have to worry. Despite how nervous Dr Andrews said he was about Robert, he still had the Dr's blessing to play. and will not play next year till he has it as well. So no need to treat Robert like a baby about it.

In other words, what happened doesn't change my opinion or RG3 at all, he's a badass for staying out there and leading his team.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 06:43 PM ----------

Why is Sally Jenkins always so negative when it comes to the Redskins or other DC sports teams?

She wrote some fluffy nice piece about us this year while we were doing well, everyone loved it, and I said "**** that, that's that ***** Sally Jenkins, just wait." And there you go.

Seriously, look at this, less than a month ago, she praises his guts and ability to coach the Redskins out of 'groundhog day'

And now, Shannahan is a 'rock-head', and everyone in the organization is responsible for the leg, not other football players.

She also states "Let's be clear, this was not an old injury", then completely acknowledges his 2009 ACL tear. She doesn't even pay attention to what she's writing, Sally Jenkins is a ****ing idiot.

Coach of the Year to selfish, idiot, rock-head in less than a month. Just shut up Sally.

It's very very good news that the surgery went well.

I do agree with Tulane Skins Fan that the first and foremost goal right now is for him to be 100% before taking the field in a real game. Freak injuries happen, and we can't protect against them, but injuries that happen because he's not completely healthy are on us. We cannot afford to be careless anymore.

That being said, it sounds like Dr. Andrews thinks he'll be 100% or near it by opening day. Here's to hoping that is the case.

I still think we need to keep him out of preseason, put him on the PUP list, and only think about playing him around the end of October. They need to be extra, extra, extra, extra careful with that knee.

You don't think this Dr. Andrews guy doesn't know what he is doing? He might be a PR nightmare but the guy is world renowned for knees, but hey maybe we ought to go with the fans gut feelings. It's such a tough call.

I've been through this surgery, and been through the partial tear, that they just cleaned up the cartilage, and meniscus and re-habbed it. I think the word we are getting is the best possible news. When they were saying partial tear, and they weren't going to do anything, that is what scared the crap out of me. That wasn't going to heal on its own, and was just asking to be re-injured down the road.

If they were really thinking next year was more important than long term, they would have left his ACL alone. I think his knee is going to be pretty solid by the start of the season.

So just to get caught up on everything when Dr. Andrews wrote "ACL was a redo" does that mean just a tweak/fix of the old ACL or a complete reconstruction? According to Rich Campbell the re-do means a complete reconstruction (according to his tweeter). Any updates on this or verdicts on what re-do in this case actually means there is a big difference in a tweak/fix vs complete reconstruction with new grafts etc...

Archived