Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: STATEMENT FROM JAMES R. ANDREWS, M.D., ANDREWS INSTITUTE REGARDING PROCEDURE PERFORMED ON ROBERT GRIFFIN III

TK

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

@mikemp71 From what I was told it was only a matter of time before the repair from 2009 gave.

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

@mikemp71 was explained to me as.. fixing a radiator hose with the belt off you r pants. 09 was a quick fixed aimed at a fast recovery.

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

@mikemp71 The way he runs/plays was a matter of time. This fix is stronger..

This makes me feel better in some way. Knowing it would most definitely give out at some point. It is good that he has 8 months to really have time to recover.

Didn't a former Redskin do the 2009 reconstruction? I guess his work wasn't up to snuff. I have a hard time believing a Dr. Andrews reconstruction would fall into the "it's only a matter of time" category.

In all seriousness, Graziano has it nailed on his blog. The one thing irking me is that the goal seems to be to get him back by opening day. The only goal should be to get him to 100%. There is no rush to meet the first game as a deadline. Let's get him healthy, all the way, so he can play 15 more years and win 10 superbowls for the skins.

Why are we assuming if he is back to start the season that he is not 100%?v

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 03:27 PM ----------

Didn't a former Redskin do the 2009 reconstruction? I guess his work wasn't up to snuff. I have a hard time believing a Dr. Andrews reconstruction would fall into the "it's only a matter of time" category.

Mark Adickes did it. Wasn't up to snuff? I don't know...done differently yes. Dr. Andrews is the best in the world, so I think everyone's work probably suffers compared to him.

I still think we need to keep him out of preseason, put him on the PUP list, and only think about playing him around the end of October. They need to be extra, extra, extra, extra careful with that knee.

Yup. Play him for MAYBE a couple reps in pre-season game 3 to just ensure his knees don't go flying through the field goal posts. After that? Sit him in the regular season until everyone and their mother (BUT NOT RG3 HIMSELF) is sure he is 100%. Then put him in. We can't trust Griff to say he's ready since he'll be itching to go by most likely tomorrow afternoon.

After reading about ACL injuries, I actually feel a lot better about the info that has come out. It sounds like since RGIII's knee should be as good as new barring any setbacks. The fact that his original ACL graft didn't tear is actually a good sign from what I've been reading. The replacement though just means he'll have the same recovery time as a normal ACL tear then.

If they can use the original attachment points then I'm inclined to agree with this post.

The first time this happened they doubted. Robert took it as motivation. He would sit in a chair every day for countless hours throwing passes to his dad, working on quickening his release, accuracy and deep ball throwing. He came back a better thrower and 2 years later won the Heisman. Just remember those that doubt will fuel this kid to come back better than before.

You guys are also missing what drives people like RG3...

No reason to say "Dont play him to Oct" if he is ready on opening day. Someone like RG3 is DRIVEN by goals. Be a starter, Win the game, Win the Heisman, make the playoffs, START OPENING DAY....

You tell him "No matter what you do, you wont play until Oct" and that can effect his rehab. It was worded in such a way to drive him. You just challenged him...Told him "its up to you. You can start in 2013 opening day if you want it bad enough." Now -Come Aug - as a Dr you decide hes not ready, then put him on PUP. But right now you give RG3 a goal and tell him to go to it.

In all seriousness, Graziano has it nailed on his blog. The one thing irking me is that the goal seems to be to get him back by opening day. The only goal should be to get him to 100%. There is no rush to meet the first game as a deadline. Let's get him healthy, all the way, so he can play 15 more years and win 10 superbowls for the skins.

And who said both goals are mutually exclusive?

If he's ready to TC, put him in. No need for arbitrary dates to make everyone feel better. The real protection will come from evolving the offense to a more traditional Shanhan offense where his running will come on bootlets/ rollouts and his scrambling will be only when the field opens up. What the pistol did was put Robert in a short shotgun, where the pocket surrounded him when his first option wasn't there. We need to go to a system where he can roll outside of the tackles where he can better protect himself.

Everyone keeps talking about the system. Nothing about the system injured this kid. He has had a total of three injuries this year. He had a concussion against the Falcons when he rolled out on a traditional passing play and his reciever was covered. In a rookie attempt to extend the play a second longer than he should have before getting down or out of bounds he took a wicked shot to the head.

In Baltimore after his running style had been criticized already and there were numerous discussions about him sliding more, getting out of bounds without getting hit etc, he decided on a SCRAMBLE following a broken drop back passing play to turn back into the field of play to get an extra two feet instead of going out of bounds and he failed to get down quick enough spraininghis LCL.

Lastly, he landed awkwardly on his already injured knee with 3 minutes in the third on a traditional rollout and probably tore his LCL. In the fourth quarter a bad snap made him lunge on a terrible playing surface with a presumably unstable knee which buckled and presumably did some damage to the previously torn acl repair.

There's nothing about the offensive system that caused any of the injuries RG3 suffered this year.

You could make an argument that he took too much punishment this season of course especially in the cinci game with the triple option to brandon banks stuff but the read option is not the problem in my opinion. The problem is our superstar QB is fragile. I hate to say that. I mean I REALLY HATE to say that but you aren't going to be able to tailor an offense to this kid to avoid him from getting into the situation he was injured in this year.

If he has a bum knee ( a real possibility at this point) you can't protect him much more than telling him to get out of bounds and to slide for the love of God. He can get a concussion or a blown knee in the pocket (see tom brady). We aren't putting him at fullback. He needs to make the correct reads in the running game and get out of bounds or give himself up with sufficient time or he will get hurt again. But where does this logic end. Do we pull him out of every game whenever we are up by 2 scores? Do we tell him to always throw the balll away when the recievers are covered instead of running for it? No more scrambling to buy time?

This kid has to be smarter with his body. NO DOUBT about it. But I think this "its the offense" stuff is ridiculous. Its the NFL. He's fast as hell but not THAT fast that he can just run wherever and whenever he wants and try and be a superstar to get 2 feet more when Haloti Nata is about to crush him.

You take the scrambling and running out of Robert Griffin you no longer have Robert Griffin.

I'm not sure why everybody is so happy about this news. This was major surgery and the recovery and rehab will take months. Whether or not he ever gets back to 4.3 speed remains to be seen.

I do take heart in the fact that he had the best surgeon and will do the work to rehab and get back to football shape, and I do think he will be back to 100%, but there is still a long way to go before then.

The only good news here is that the people who thought there was potential for him to miss next season or even end his career were wrong, but most of us knew that already.

I'm still hoping and praying for a full recovery and a long career for RG3. I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

Good to see the doctor is still in CYA mode.

You're a cowboy fan. If it wasn't for the fact that your previous two bans for trolling were a long time back, this would be one post too many for you. It's the wrong topic for you the way you approached it, and at the wrong time. If you wish to express good thoughts, feel free. If you have anything different than that to say, take it back and focus on the sizable mess in your own back yard.

The first time this happened they doubted. Robert took it as motivation. He would sit in a chair every day for countless hours throwing passes to his dad, working on quickening his release, accuracy and deep ball throwing. He came back a better thrower and 2 years later won the Heisman. Just remember those that doubt will fuel this kid to come back better than before.

I guarantee you that he is going to be watching lots of game film and learning the playbook inside out before he can start real exercise.

Compared to the rumors early on of "PCL + ACL" followed by reports of "ACL previously tore and our people hid it" and on....it's an absolute relief to see that essentially it was an LCL tear and reconstruction of the ACL done more as a precautionary action due to a less than stellar original reconstruction, all being performed by the best person in the field who is himself suggesting RG3 should be back by opening day if not training camp barring unforseen setbacks.

There's nothing "Good" about Robert being injured....but in terms of the news AFTER said injury, this is a pretty good option. We discovered and hopefully fixed something that likely would've been a far larger problem down the line, and have a recovery window that's not "career threatening" or even "Season threatening". I'll take it.

Best of luck to a full recovery for RG3

I feel that he is going to come back better than ever with just the same amount of speed and agility he showcased in the first half of the season... I for one know how determined this guy is and I for one will not be surprised when RG3 is a complete beast. No pressure, no diamonds!

Prayers that you heal exceedingly quickly Mr. Griffin. And a quick note to 2013 Shanahans: if RGIII is seen hobbling around on the field after a hit, you better goddamn well take him out for a few series to examine the injury. I am dubious that your inclination to draft Cousins was just for ****s and grins. I suspect you know as well as anyone else he's capable of filling in for our franchise QB if for only a limited number of snaps. In other words, get your collective heads out of your collective asses.

Everyone keeps talking about the system. Nothing about the system injured this kid. He has had a total of three injuries this year. He had a concussion against the Falcons when he rolled out on a traditional passing play and his reciever was covered. In a rookie attempt to extend the play a second longer than he should have before getting down or out of bounds he took a wicked shot to the head.

In Baltimore after his running style had been criticized already and there were numerous discussions about him sliding more, getting out of bounds without getting hit etc, he decided on a SCRAMBLE following a broken drop back passing play to turn back into the field of play to get an extra two feet instead of going out of bounds and he failed to get down quick enough spraininghis LCL.

Lastly, he landed awkwardly on his already injured knee with 3 minutes in the third on a traditional rollout and probably tore his LCL. In the fourth quarter a bad snap made him lunge on a terrible playing surface with a presumably unstable knee which buckled and presumably did some damage to the previously torn acl repair.

There's nothing about the offensive system that caused any of the injuries RG3 suffered this year.

You could make an argument that he took too much punishment this season of course especially in the cinci game with the triple option to brandon banks stuff but the read option is not the problem in my opinion. The problem is our superstar QB is fragile. I hate to say that. I mean I REALLY HATE to say that but you aren't going to be able to tailor an offense to this kid to avoid him from getting into the situation he was injured in this year.

If he has a bum knee ( a real possibility at this point) you can't protect him much more than telling him to get out of bounds and to slide for the love of God. He can get a concussion or a blown knee in the pocket (see tom brady). We aren't putting him at fullback. He needs to make the correct reads in the running game and get out of bounds or give himself up with sufficient time or he will get hurt again. But where does this logic end. Do we pull him out of every game whenever we are up by 2 scores? Do we tell him to always throw the balll away when the recievers are covered instead of running for it? No more scrambling to buy time?

This kid has to be smarter with his body. NO DOUBT about it. But I think this "its the offense" stuff is ridiculous. Its the NFL. He's fast as hell but not THAT fast that he can just run wherever and whenever he wants and try and be a superstar to get 2 feet more when Haloti Nata is about to crush him.

You take the scrambling and running out of Robert Griffin you no longer have Robert Griffin.

Everyone who chides the system or the playcalling for getting Griffin injured, needs to read this entire post.

Fault Mike if you want for making Griffin play hurt. I certainly do. But don't fault the scheme or the calls.

I'm not sure why everybody is so happy about this news. This was major surgery and the recovery and rehab will take months. Whether or not he ever gets back to 4.3 speed remains to be seen.

I do take heart in the fact that he had the best surgeon and will do the work to rehab and get back to football shape, and I do think he will be back to 100%, but there is still a long way to go before then.

The only good news here is that the people who thought there was potential for him to miss next season or even end his career were wrong, but most of us knew that already.

I'm still hoping and praying for a full recovery and a long career for RG3. I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

He doesn't need to be back to 4.3 speed to be effective.

He'll recover?

That's unpossible. ESPN and Salley Jenkens told me he was done as a professional football player. :silly:

Seriously, that's good news for the first time since Sunday. Best of luck with the healing and rehab Robert.

And Shanny, maybe a little more protection????

Archived