Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Are We A Playoff Team With Captain Kirk At The Helm?

LetThePointsSoar

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We don't know whether the Skins are a playoff team next year even with a healthy RGIII at the helm. Keep in mind that all three NFC East teams imploded one way or another this season. We can't assume that will happen every year or that the OL will remain almost completely healthy for the entire season. What would have happened if Morris had been injured?

I've seen enough of Captain Kirk to conclude with my rose-tinted glasses that he can effectively run a different version of the Shanahan offense. It's not as if teams don't have experience trying to defend bootlegs. The bootlegs are so successful because they are paired with with the stretch running plays. Even when the Browns left a defender in place to attack the bootleg, Kirk was able to float the ball over his head. Plus, the playaction wasn't limited to bootleg plays - - just as frequently Kirk turned his back to the line; faked the hand-off for an inside zone run; turned back and immediately fired off the ball.

Like it or not, part of the reason that Morris was so effective this year was that teams had to respect RG3s ability to run. Kirk looked great in the Browns game, but I'm not sure if other teams would figure out how to counter his bootleg roll outs etc.

Not sure at this point...

There are other teams in the NFL that do not do the read-options. Like Denver, NE, GB, SF and teams left in the playoffs and Denver will win the SB (my prediction)_! So this whole theory about with out RG3 running we can't compete is just wrong. I forgot about Atlanta!

Imo the leading cause for this team making the playoffs was the offense. Our offense was top 4 in scoring and top 5 in yards. Griffin was the engine that drove our offensive production.

Subtract him from the offense and the production goes down. If the production goes down we lose more games. If we lose more games we don't make playoffs.

Unless the team bats 100% during the offseason and upgrades several positions I don't think Cousins can guide them to the playoffs next year.

481 yards total offense for a rookie in his first start where the defense takes away the run game and forces the pass isn't in any way a drop off - scored 38 against a defense that had given 28+ points only 1 time up until that game (Giants 41 in week 2).

481 yards total offense for a rookie in his first start where the defense takes away the run game and forces the pass isn't in any way a drop off - scored 38 against a defense that had given 28+ points only 1 time up until that game (Giants 41 in week 2).

Exactly its like people keep forgetting that the Browns were not some chump team. Cousins also only had 1 week of 1st team practice. He also threw a Pic, and stormed back. That does not happen with most Rookies.

Incorrect. Cousins had 351 yards total offense.

And the Browns allowed the 10th most yards in the NFL, they we're comically bad against the bootleg. If Cousins were to play the Browns every week he would be MVP of the league.

5-11 LOL.... MS didn't put Cousins in because RG3 would have thrown a hissy fit, and we had enough bad press. His ****iness at the end of the game showed it. I have been all about RG3, but the presser afterward gave me an entirely different perspective. RG3 did nothing after the 1st quarter, and the D had to play the entire second half.

every great QB is extremely competitive, don't expect many to want to go out.

Also, RG3 is not psychic. He doesn't know what plays Kyle would be calling and what D Seattle would be using at the time he decided to stay in. Fact is he had been playing with pain for more than three weeks and he probably thought he could continue to do it.

Imo the leading cause for this team making the playoffs was the offense. Our offense was top 4 in scoring and top 5 in yards. Griffin was the engine that drove our offensive production.

Subtract him from the offense and the production goes down. If the production goes down we lose more games. If we lose more games we don't make playoffs.

Unless the team bats 100% during the offseason and upgrades several positions I don't think Cousins can guide them to the playoffs next year.

While I agree that without such a potent offense we wouldn't have made the playoffs, what was the biggest difference in the first nine compared with the last 7?

If our defense played those first games like they did the last games, we're probably looking at a few more wins. If the defense keeps it up (or improves) going into next year, I think they'd approximately offset Cousins playing in place of Griffin.

While I agree that without such a potent offense we wouldn't have made the playoffs, what was the biggest difference in the first nine compared with the last 7?

If our defense played those first games like they did the last games, we're probably looking at a few more wins. If the defense keeps it up (or improves) going into next year, I think they'd approximately offset Cousins playing in place of Griffin.

Agreed. The 'skins might not win 7 straight again, but if the defense is the focus this offseason and plays more consistent all year long, then a 7 game win streak won't be needed to make the playoffs.

Agreed. The 'skins might not win 7 straight again, but if the defense is the focus this offseason and plays more consistent all year long, then a 7 game win streak won't be needed to make the playoffs.

Just looked up the numbers. If we maintained 20(20.5?) Throughout the season, we'd have been ranked around Cincinnati's and Houston's defenses (8th or 9th). With a healthy Davis and Co. I'd guess the Shanahan's could get enough out of Cousins to make the playoffs.

It's all speculation of course, but I would like his chances.

Exactly its like people keep forgetting that the Browns were not some chump team. Cousins also only had 1 week of 1st team practice. He also threw a Pic, and stormed back. That does not happen with most Rookies.

Not to mention when the Browns D played us they were completely healthy. Another thing about Cousins he gets rid of the ball quicker than RGIII while in the pocket. RGIII tended to try to make a play every down, which you just can't do.

I agree with this. I think this team learned a big lesson from having to dig themselves out of that hole. I will be shocked if they lose 3 games in a row at any point again next year. Seriously... that's almost 1/4 of the entire regular season and shows a real lack of focus as an organization. I think that if all things stayed the same we would be 10-6 again, but if our D can stay healthy and our OL comes back improved I see no reason we can't go 11-5 or 12-4.

I don't see why not. I think Kirk is definitely a viable option to lead this team until Robert returns. Obviously, there are areas on both sides of the ball that need addressed in the offseason, but I think a healthy return of Orakpo and Carriker will help on defense, as well as Merriweather hopefully. I think the big thing that helps this team going forward is the mindset of the organization now. I think there is a renewed confidence that we belong and are no longer the Little Sisters of the Poor of the NFC East.

Just looked up the numbers. If we maintained 20(20.5?) Throughout the season, we'd have been ranked around Cincinnati's and Houston's defenses (8th or 9th). With a healthy Davis and Co. I'd guess the Shanahan's could get enough out of Cousins to make the playoffs.

It's all speculation of course, but I would like his chances.

And would have had at least 3 more wins which would have resulted in a first round bye, and not having to play Seattle at all.

What I noticed works well for Cousins, is rolling out and throwing. He did not do that once against Seattle. He tried to stay in the pocket and got crushed a few times and forced throws like he did against Atlanta. When he rolls out and throws like he did against Baltimore and Cleveland he was very successful. And while he is not a trail blazer he can run when necessary.

We will need to work on the OL if we hope to do well long-term (ie, more than one game) with the Captain under center.

Our current OL blows at pass blocking.

Our OL has strengths that not a lot of OLINES do aside from pass blocking. BUT Chester and WIlliams are very good pass protectors. Our line is built for mobility, not Kirk.

Our OL has strengths that not a lot of OLINES do aside from pass blocking. BUT Chester and WIlliams are very good pass protectors. Our line is built for mobility, not Kirk.

our current line was pretty much built with an old McNabb and Rex behind it.

This is one reason I was surprised Mike kept deferring the ball at kick off. This o-line isn't built to come from behind. I wonder if the o-line was the biggest reason we struggled on 3rd down, particularly third and long.

I think Kirk is plenty mobile to run this O, just not the read option. The rollouts and boots tore up Cleveland.

I like Kirk's chances of becoming a good starting QB in the NFL. However, my guess is that our offense will have something else to worry about next season.

Much of the success of our passing game this past season was due to the Shanahans' ability to get receivers open against two-deep zone coverages. I have said that I would press and play man-to-man against the Redskins. That's what Seattle did and it worked. If other teams saw that and learned, the Skins passing game will likely be shut down unless they can seriously upgrade the receivers on the team.

The turn of the game was a result of an injury, we dominated the 1st quarter in that scheme. They played press to put more in the box because RG3 couldn't run. The coach said it, we're going to make RG3 beat us. He did with his arm the 1st qtr, after that the injury he became inaccurate due to an injury. I think a healthy mobile RG3 destroys a press man coverage, given the extra time he buys scrambling, the very best DB's can only cover for 4 seconds in man press seconds. HTTR!

Wow that's a tough one. I hadn't even considered the first place schedule we'll be playing this season. But at the same time I think w/ the expected full and healthy returns. Meaning, Rak, Carriker, Mayweather, and an upgrade at FS be it Jackson, F/A, or rookie signing would take pressure off of the offense. I'm modestly confident in Cousins taking first team reps combined w/ proper play calling from Kyle. You know what, I just talked myself into it. Freak it, yes we are a playoff team w/ Cousins as a starter.

Wow that's a tough one. I hadn't even considered the first place schedule we'll be playing this season. But at the same time I think w/ the expected full and healthy returns. Meaning, Rak, Carriker, Mayweather, and an upgrade at FS be it Jackson, F/A, or rookie signing would take pressure off of the offense. I'm modestly confident in Cousins taking first team reps combined w/ proper play calling from Kyle. You know what, I just talked myself into it. Freak it, yes we are a playoff team w/ Cousins as a starter.

Haha I enjoyed listening to the voices in your head.

:secret:I followed the same thought process... just don't tell anyone!

our current line was pretty much built with an old McNabb and Rex behind it.

It doesn't matter who it was built with QB at helm, who does it have success with is the answer. This is a smaller, slim, athletic offensive line. Meant to run the new era one cut run. They're one of if not the best run blocking OLINEs side to side.

Archived