Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Are We A Playoff Team With Captain Kirk At The Helm?

LetThePointsSoar

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Again... who said we're without Robert? You already gave up on the team without knowing whether he'll be there or not!

let's call it an educated guess. a 2 or 3 hour surgery took almost 5 hours. he already injured this knee before so therefore it's an even worse situation for him. there's no comparison to AP's recovery. every doctor that I've read said 9 months minimum. I'm gonna listen to docs before I do Chris Mortenson. I don't even wanna see Robert next year at this point. 2013 is a throw away, I wouldn't blame London for retiring. I'm lowering my expectations cause every time I raise them I'm punished by the football gods

He did play the entire Brown's game? With just 1 week to practice with 1st squad.

That's fair, but it's a really small sample size to use. The Brown's defense game planned for Kirk, but with so little tape on him, I think it was difficult to really find his weaknesses. Over a season, I think defenses will figure out how to bring out his inexperience.

let's call it an educated guess. a 2 or 3 hour surgery took almost 5 hours. he already injured this knee before so therefore it's an even worse situation for him. there's no comparison to AP's recovery. every doctor that I've read said 9 months minimum. I'm gonna listen to docs before I do Chris Mortenson. I don't even wanna see Robert next year at this point. 2013 is a throw away, I wouldn't blame London for retiring. I'm lowering my expectations cause every time I raise them I'm punished by the football gods

I think you are qualifying yourself as a bandwagon fan, then. If 2013 is a throw away don't watch. This is just ridiculous.

That's fair, but it's a really small sample size to use. The Brown's defense game planned for Kirk, but with so little tape on him, I think it was difficult to really find his weaknesses. Over a season, I think defenses will figure out how to bring out his inexperience.

The Brown's Defense was underrated and Cousins was under pressure a lot. He had that pic, and it woke him up. He proceeded to open his can!

Ok. So, if you are going to listen to doctors over Chris Mortenson, why don't you listen the the doctor who was acutally up to his wrists in RG3's knee today? Andrews said 6-8 months. Enough said.

Ok. So, if you are going to listen to doctors over Chris Mortenson, why don't you listen the the doctor who was acutally up to his wrists in RG3's knee today? Andrews said 6-8 months. Enough said.

I don't think Andrews himself has said anything. The surgery was just finished after 12, and rehab has not started.

Thank you. I can't stand this pattern of love/hate with our team. Shanny has set us up for success and we should expect no less... I'm still very excited about our team.

Cousins would, in essence, be having a rookie season despite his limited action. He has potential, but considering our meager talent offensively, he doesn't have what it takes to win consistently with a system back, an overachieving line, and nothing outside of Garçon and Davis.

To give him any shot of at a playoff run, they do need to shore up the secondary and improve the defense to put less pressure on Kirk to do what RG3 needed to do, which was average 28ppg and never have a comfortable lead.

Cousins would, in essence, be having a rookie season despite his limited action. He has potential, but considering our meager talent offensively, he doesn't have what it takes to win consistently with a system back, an overachieving line, and nothing outside of Garçon and Davis.

To give him any shot of at a playoff run, they do need to shore up the secondary and improve the defense to put less pressure on Kirk to do what RG3 needed to do, which was average 28ppg and never have a comfortable lead.

Man I'm so stoked. Kirk or Griff - we're in good shape. While I discounted our defensive abilities, they held the Hawks to 24 points. Think about it. They dropped 50 on crappy teams (no offense to them) and with NO offense whatsoever, they held them to 24 in 3 qtrs. Upgrading this unit - we may be amazing next year on D. HAIL!

Also - Helu, and a list of other people will be back....>SO STOKED!!!!!!

Kirk is a baller.

If he's the guy in 2013, he will do more than fine. Kyle knows how to get guys open no matter the scheme we're running.

At the end of the day, I would not be surprised at all if the two best QBs in the NFC East are on our team right now.

Man I'm so stoked. Kirk or Griff - we're in good shape. While I discounted our defensive abilities, they held the Hawks to 24 points. Think about it. They dropped 50 on crappy teams (no offense to them) and with NO offense whatsoever, they held them to 24 in 3 qtrs. Upgrading this unit - we may be amazing next year on D. HAIL!

Also - Helu, and a list of other people will be back....>SO STOKED!!!!!!

That is true, the defense improved drastically right when it needed to. We'll be getting Orakpo and Carriker back, and the progression of Jarvis Jenkins and Rob Jackson gives us more quality depth now. A healthy Meriweather is an improvement, as well as Tanard Jackson coming off suspension, just getting those two back is an upgrade. Regardless, they need to draft a safety and corner. Try to pick up a replacement for D.Hall in FA.

Oh yeah, and they need to put a plan in place for Fletcher's replacement now. Don't wait until he's too old to be of use, get that right guy in there now and let Fletcher groom him into being this defense's leader.

Worst case IMO? Capt Kirk proves to be Rex with an arm, more mobility, and better skill players around him.

And that will be enough to lead the division in passing and tds. He'll throw some picks because he's aggressive as can be, but he will put up a ton of yard in any offense Kyle is calling.

From an outside perspective:

If teams knew they were facing Cousins each week and were able to collect game film on him and plan for him as the season went on, I'm not sure he would be as successful in wins and losses as RGIII was. I don't think the Redskins' running game would be even close to what it was this season. In short, I think the answer would be no with Cousins at QB. RGIII is a completely different and much more dangerous monster than Cousins.

;9391530']From an outside perspective:

If teams knew they were facing Cousins each week and were able to collect game film on him and plan for him as the season went on' date=' I'm not sure he would be as successful in wins and losses as RGIII was. I don't think the Redskins' running game would be even close to what it was this season. In short, I think the answer would be no with Cousins at QB. RGIII is a completely different and much more dangerous monster than Cousins.[/quote']

It's not only about Cousins.

It's about how the rest of the team stacks up against the other teams in the division.

Dallas has big cap problems, no current DC, and plenty of holes that need fixing. And Romo sits to pee's head must be a mess.

Philly... yikes.

Your giants will be the favorite. But on paper, the Skins will look pretty good, even without RG3.

Tanard Jackson and Merriweather are better than what we started this year.

Rak will be back.

Garcon will be 100 percent.

I suspect Davis will be back too.

It's about how the rest of the team stacks up against the other teams in the division.

Dallas has big cap problems, no current DC, and plenty of holes that need fixing. And Romo sits to pee's head must be a mess.

Philly... yikes.

Your giants will be the favorite. But on paper, the Skins will look pretty good, even without RG3.

Tanard Jackson and Merriweather are better than what we started this year.

Rak will be back.

Garcon will be 100 percent.

I suspect Davis will be back too.

Right and teams were starting to figure out RG3 as well. The problem was "The Butler" was serving, and serving it deep...lol

Teams study Manning, Brady, and Rogers....but still they get owned. Capt'n Kirk....bring down the house!

A lot of what the Redskins accomplished this year was in large part to RGIII. Even Morris' success was due to RGIII being there. Defenses had to take it very serious that he may take off with the ball at any time. They couldn't just focus on Morris when he would pretend to or actually hand off to Morris. That thread isn't there with Cousins. That was a big part of what they did. I think it opened everything else up. Cousins threw almost as many INT"s as RGIII did in much shorter playing time. I just think it would be a much less effective offense making the Skins' defense more vulnerable as well. But this is just my opinion.

If RG3 had torn his knee in training camp, I would say no. Kirk Cousins would not keep it together consistently enough to win many games. But he has the entire offseason to prepare as the starter, in addition to the experience he already has. It's easy to try to judge him compared to RG3, Wilson, Luck, Cam, but he doesn't have to be as good as they are to be successful. Turn the clock back 2 years before those 4 guys were in the league. Rookie QB comes into 2 games in the 4th quarter, wins 1. Then wins a full start on the road. That's a successful rookie season. By most accounts he looks decent to good on tape. If last year's draft were redone he would likely be a first round pick, so it's not like we are working with a scrub.

I will not go so far as to say this is a blessing. No matter what happens, the team would have been better off without RG3's injury. But the silver lining is Cousins should be capable, and if he is then he could potentially be cashed in on with a big trade next offseason.

;9391579']A lot of what the Redskins accomplished this year was in large part to RGIII. Even Morris' success was due to RGIII being there. Defenses had to take it very serious that he may take off with the ball at any time. They couldn't just focus on Morris when he would pretend to or actually hand off to Morris. That thread isn't there with Cousins. That was a big part of what they did. I think it opened everything else up. Cousins threw almost as many INT"s as RGIII did in much shorter playing time. I just think it would be a much less effective offense making the Skins' defense more vulnerable as well. But this is just my opinion.

I think you're 100% correct. From what we've seen of Cousins, this is how things would play out. Considering how this may be somewhat of a possibility, at least for the first half of the season, there may be some ability for Kirk to play above his 2012 level. He had one full start, and three games playing in relief. If he has the mindset, intelligence, and work ethic of his betters, like Rodgers and Peyton, he'll use this offseason as a means to study film on himself as well as the NFC east and improve his level of performance.

;9391579']A lot of what the Redskins accomplished this year was in large part to RGIII. Even Morris' success was due to RGIII being there. Defenses had to take it very serious that he may take off with the ball at any time. They couldn't just focus on Morris when he would pretend to or actually hand off to Morris. That thread isn't there with Cousins. That was a big part of what they did. I think it opened everything else up. Cousins threw almost as many INT"s as RGIII did in much shorter playing time. I just think it would be a much less effective offense making the Skins' defense more vulnerable as well. But this is just my opinion.

The interceptions other than the one in the Brown's game were him being forced into a situation and having to force plays.

On a lot of mock drafts before the end of the college season last year you had Luck, RGIII and then Cousins. Wilson was simply an afterthought because he is so short. Tannahill and Weeden come on strong in the last few weeks but for consistency Cousins was the one scouts saw as a good possibility to be successful. The Kid can play.

Your educated guess wasn't so very educated when compared to what Dr. Andrews is now saying. Everyone wants to act like an expert when they really have no clue.

STATEMENT FROM JAMES R. ANDREWS, M.D., ANDREWS INSTITUTE

REGARDING PROCEDURE PERFORMED ON ROBERT GRIFFIN III

"Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning. He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction. We expect a full recovery and it is everybody's hope and belief that due to Robert's high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season.

The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career."

Archived