Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Are We A Playoff Team With Captain Kirk At The Helm?

LetThePointsSoar

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

;9391530']From an outside perspective:

If teams knew they were facing Cousins each week and were able to collect game film on him and plan for him as the season went on' date=' I'm not sure he would be as successful in wins and losses as RGIII was. I don't think the Redskins' running game would be even close to what it was this season. In short, I think the answer would be no with Cousins at QB. RGIII is a completely different and much more dangerous monster than Cousins.[/quote']

Very fair assessment. But our running game from 2011 was only a little less effective than our running game from 2012 (in terms of the RB yardage...Griffin's 800+ yards tip the scales of course). Additionally, I base some of my opinion on the hope that we beef up our D somewhat. So, I'd envision us being a less explosive offense and a better defense. I think we could win 9 or so games with Cousins next year (meaning I believe we'd win more than that if we had Griffin).

But, we might not improve our D or we might get worse along the OL, so it's all based on what I hope/think we'll do with personnel.

On paper, right now, I would pick the Skins to finish no worst than second behind the giants with Kirk at the helm.

I just can't see him being anything worse than Rex with better skills and a far better set of skill players around him. Playing in a scheme that got guys like Gaffney wide open all the time and caused the G-Men almost as many problems as the pistol did.

The Eagles are in transition.

Dallas has a D in transition, cap issues, and a head case at QB.

The world is not over if Kirk is under center.

;9391579']A lot of what the Redskins accomplished this year was in large part to RGIII. Even Morris' success was due to RGIII being there. Defenses had to take it very serious that he may take off with the ball at any time. They couldn't just focus on Morris when he would pretend to or actually hand off to Morris. That thread isn't there with Cousins. That was a big part of what they did. I think it opened everything else up. Cousins threw almost as many INT"s as RGIII did in much shorter playing time. I just think it would be a much less effective offense making the Skins' defense more vulnerable as well. But this is just my opinion.

You're absolutely right about a large part of the redskins success was from Robert ,but I think your wrong on Robert being the reason Alfred was so successful I think it was just the opposite as far as the run game goes. A lot of Roberts big runs came from the read option which would not work if Alfred wasn't already running all over them.

I think that yes, there's a chance this team can make the playoffs with Cousins as the starting QB.

That said, I think it would be as a wild card, and we would need some good breaks in our favor, but it's definitely possible, especially if the D improves. Cousins isn't elite, but he's not bad. I'd say for a season, he could do well enough to sneak us in.

Are we a playoff team next year with Kirk under center?

Tough one. I'm tempted to say yes dude to the rest of the division, although I don't think we'll be a 10 win team again. And I don't think that will be because of Captain Kirk. Yes, they'll be a drop off from Robert. But there'd be a drop off from Robert from all but a handful of QB's in this league, so good is he already. And Kirk has a fantastic grasp of our traditional base O. Obviously that's more limited than expanded version we run with RGIII's unique skill set, but highly effective non the less. Where I think they'll be a drop off is in a lack of top level talent up front on offense, and over the other side of the ball. The O-line has played above themselves this year and deserve great credit. But we're still 2 if not 3 better quality starters to really take this on consistently IMHO. And we still lack a dominating NT and 3 if not 4 DB's to elevate this defense into the upper echelons of the league to compliment the O.

I still stand by my assertion that we won't be consistently competing until 2014, through no fault of our own. (******* Mara.). We have too much to still attend to, and too little to do it with. With the best will in the World, I can't see next season rolling with the same momentum and every player playing above themselves like this past one. The limitations on defense will catch us up.

But the future sure is bright. When we are able to add those pieces ..... #4 here we come baby!

I'm rambling, but in response to the question, I'll say yes, we sneak into the playoffs next year due to a poor division. But we might just miss out too.

Hail.

Unless we get significantly better on Defense, I say no. Not because of the Captain, but the Defense couldn't stop a truck going backwards uphill without an engine. Any good coaching staff could figure out how to beat them.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 07:21 PM ----------

Are we a playoff team next year with Kirk under center?

I'm rambling, but in response to the question, I'll say yes, we sneak into the playoffs next year due to a poor division. But we might just miss out too.

Hail.

I'm pretty sure that is the very definition of a hedged bet. But you nailed it. :)

Quite simple, if RG3 were to have to miss the entire 2013 season (which God willing, he of course does not, but for this hypothetical, assume he does), are we a playoff team without him? I say absolutely YES, not only because of the ability of Cousins, but the pieces of the defense returning and the TEAM that we have built under Shanahan.

IMO it's a bright future even w/o RG3 this year, and of course even brightER with a healthy Robert.

What say you?

No way..... RG3 made them 10-6.. You guys are banking on Cousins but ..he would be a raw rookie. 8-8 tops

The Redskins can be a force in 2013 after Shanahan and Allen add more pieces to this team on offense and defense. They have already started beefing the defense up with the addition of Merling, as well as the RAK and others returning from IR. This can be a playoff team for many years to come with the right pieces added.

I think it depends on how much we focus on our offensive line and defense. RGIII is the kind of guy that can almost will a team to victory by himself. I think Cousins is a great game manager with a good arm and decent mobility, but I don't know if he has the same kind of game changing abilities as RGII.

If we improve our OL and defense over the post season, I think he can lead us to the playoffs easily. If not? I think there's still a chance, but I wouldn't put money on it.

It's a little pre-mature to be able to competently answer this question, but I think the bigger and more relevant question is:

Is Alfred Morris a beast of a running back w/o the threat of RG3 under center?

If Morris and the O-line can lead Morris to a 1500 yard season in 2013, then that would make it extremely doable for an average QB to make the playoffs.

The defense would also have to take a few steps forward in 2013.

How different does the running game perform without RGIII and his threat to do anything and everything with the ball? To me, that matters just about as much if not MORE, than what Kirk Cousins can do.

For reference, in 2011, if Rex Grossman has a 1500 yard rusher to take pressure of him, he probably performs better and the team wins some of those close games, however because he is Rex Grossman, he wasn't going to get any help from defenses being spread out to worry about the passing game.

Our evidence really only is one very good game against a pretty bad team.

Otherwise, he came in against Atlanta, helped the Skins regained the lead, but then threw two picks. Then was pretty much thrown into a no-win situation against Seattle at the end.

Remember, Gus Frerotte and Patrick Ramsey looked great in their first regular season action. Do we have a better overall team than those guys did? Probably. Still, we just don't have enough to go on.

IMO, we are an 11-5 team with RG3 next season, but probably a 7-9 team with Kirk.

I still think Ramsey would have been an awesome QB had Spurrier not fed him to the wolves, man that dude got clobbered....almost every play.

Our evidence really only is one very good game against a pretty bad team.

Otherwise, he came in against Atlanta, helped the Skins regained the lead, but then threw two picks. Then was pretty much thrown into a no-win situation against Seattle at the end.

Remember, Gus Frerotte and Patrick Ramsey looked great in their first regular season action. Do we have a better overall team than those guys did? Probably. Still, we just don't have enough to go on.

IMO, we are an 11-5 team with RG3 next season, but probably a 7-9 team with Kirk.

Agree 100 percent. I believe that Kirk can become a great qb, but he will probably require more time and grooming and it wont happen with the redskins (as we already have our franchise qb)

I think our defense takes a large leap next season. Not a top 10 unit by any means, but we'll have our starters at safety, so we'll see fewer big plays, and Orakpo will be back to rush the passer. People already seem to have forgotten our defense from 2 years ago. We weren't elite, but we were at least average. And indeed our defense played fairly well to end the year. This offense with an average defense? Yeah, Kirk would get us to the playoffs with that.

For the sake of argument, sure, I think we could. I'll look at it as Redskins offense minus Rex Grossman TO's, (still more than RG3), plus the #1 running game in the league. Also a suddenly weak division that we were one victor cruz mess away from going 6-0 in. And yes our defense ought to take a leap next year so, hell yea, 9-7, might even win the division.

I remember Rex's offense looking do-able, and possibly dangerous, but he -guess what- wasted handfuls of possessions turning it over. Kirk would make the most of all his possessions, I don't think he'd do anything especially stupid all the time, and our receivers get wide open as usual.

Archived