Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Are We A Playoff Team With Captain Kirk At The Helm?

LetThePointsSoar

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With THIS team + Kirk, we don't "suck," we're probably 8-8 or 9-7. We might get into the playoffs, might not. But we're much worse than we would be with a healthy RG3. I don't know what to vote for. "Not sure," I guess, and I do love me some lamp.

with Garcon and a better defense we might have been 11-5 or 12-4. We had winnable games before the streak.

I don't deny that they could have had an even better record but it proves the point even more. He created a spread defense that created gaping holes for Morris. He was a one man wrecking crew. Look at Seattle, as soon as it was evident RG3 was not effective, they blitzed, stacked the box and stuffed just about everything. RG3 is healthy this is not happening. The read option was basically unstoppable. Now Cousins there next year none of this happens. I am willing to say RG3 made his team at LEAST 4 games better. There is a reason fans and players on other teams alike were in awe of the guy. That said if the read option goes away in the future, the fear factor of playing RG3 diminishes greatly. As a drop back passer he'll just be another good QB..the read option made him a terror because it spread the defense so much.. Up to your management how much risk they will take in the future. Will be interesting to see.

We will be good. More traditional. The Skins had Cousins ranked as their third best quarterback. They were surprised to see him still on the board in the fourth round. They intended to draft Russell Wilson because they thought he would still be on the board. This all per Adam Shefter on ESPN 980.

I'd say were a 6-10 team. Running game would be less effective, online would be getting more pressure and allowing more sacks. Defense has major question marks and even though cousins showed potential, he also showed rookie mistakes. Rg3 makes this team go.

well, Cousins did play mistake-free football after the 1st quarter of the Cleveland game. although maybe that was just cause it was the first game he had played in fully so teams didnt have much tape on him at all. but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that we could be a playoff team with him next year.

Tape is overrated. With Kirk's game, you read the defense and throw the ball, so there isn't much to decode. He has an average arm and I get the impression that he's a bit of a gunslinger, but I like him. He doesn't curl up in the fetal position after throwing a pick and he's got a good attitude out there.

I don't deny that they could have had an even better record but it proves the point even more. He created a spread defense that created gaping holes for Morris. He was a one man wrecking crew. Look at Seattle, as soon as it was evident RG3 was not effective, they blitzed, stacked the box and stuffed just about everything. RG3 is healthy this is not happening. The read option was basically unstoppable. Now Cousins there next year none of this happens. I am willing to say RG3 made his team at LEAST 4 games better. There is a reason fans and players on other teams alike were in awe of the guy. That said if the read option goes away in the future, the fear factor of playing RG3 diminishes greatly. As a drop back passer he'll just be another good QB..the read option made him a terror because it spread the defense so much.. Up to your management how much risk they will take in the future. Will be interesting to see.

Seattle stacked the box on a guy who had limited movement and could not plant properly to throw meaning they stacked the box at a time the passing game was going to be mostly ineffective. Cousins wouldn't have that problem.

We will be good. More traditional. The Skins had Cousins ranked as their third best quarterback. They were surprised to see him still on the board in the fourth round. They intended to draft Russell Wilson because they thought he would still be on the board. This all per Adam Shefter on ESPN 980.

Not sure if that's true. After all, we've also heard that if Wilson was around we would have chosen him over Cousins in the third. Regardless, they rated him higly and thought he was worth at least a second.

Multiple factors involved of course, but, I think if the offense is tailored to his strengths, we have a good running game (without RGIII), and the defense is sured up A LOT,....yes. This team could go to the playoffs with Kirk at the helm.

Seattle stacked the box on a guy who had limited movement and could not plant properly to throw meaning they stacked the box at a time the passing game was going to be mostly ineffective. Cousins wouldn't have that problem.

True..they wouldn't stack the box but they would not have to spread the defense. Playing RG3 is a whole different defensive animal. It creates such a dilemma for the defensive line. Mind you I'm not talking about great scrambling QB's (Wilson, Vick etc) I'm talking about the read option.

True..they wouldn't stack the box but they would not have to spread the defense. Playing RG3 is a whole different defensive animal. It creates such a dilemma for the defensive line. Mind you I'm not talking about great scrambling QB's (Wilson, Vick etc) I'm talking about the read option.

Everyone keeps forgetting that Manning, Brady, Rogers, seem to do just fine without the read-option. We need to upgrade the OL, and the Secondary. After that Kirk will be just fine, and will succeed. At the Start of camp Kirk will get alot of 1st team reps. I still do not believe RG3 will be ready by week 1. My guess (yes guess), would be October. Then we can all worry every game and wait for RG3 to get hurt again.

Everyone keeps forgetting that Manning, Brady, Rogers, seem to do just fine without the read-option. We need to upgrade the OL, and the Secondary. After that Kirk will be just fine, and will succeed. At the Start of camp Kirk will get alot of 1st team reps. I still do not believe RG3 will be ready by week 1. My guess (yes guess), would be October. Then we can all worry every game and wait for RG3 to get hurt again.

Absolutely agree. Guess the point is RG3 created problems none of those guys could create either. I for one am dreading having to play a healthy RG3 led offense for the next 10 years. Kirk Cousins......not so much. Even if they scrap the read option, the fact its even there will make defenses play wider. Morris runs for 1600 yards with Cousins? No way. Don't get me wrong, Cousins can be a good NFL QB for sure....but.. the intangible will be gone. Problem is the read option is great in college.

I would put the read option in if I were Washington next year but use it sparingly. The threat of it with RG3 is half the problem for opposing defenses.

Absolutely agree. Guess the point is RG3 created problems none of those guys could create either. I for one am dreading having to play a healthy RG3 led offense for the next 10 years. Kirk Cousins......not so much. Even if they scrap the read option, the fact its even there will make defenses play wider. Morris runs for 1600 yards with Cousins? No way. Don't get me wrong, Cousins can be a good NFL QB for sure....but.. the intangible will be gone. Problem is the read option is great in college.

I would put the read option in if I were Washington next year but use it sparingly. The threat of it with RG3 is half the problem for opposing defenses.

My dread would be the Skins trading off Cousins, and he becomes legit. At the very least the Skin's need to give Cousins a shot at starting while RG3 is recovering just to make sure we are not trading a possible Brady, or Rogers. That would be awful!

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 09:31 AM ----------

I also think Morris can put up those numbers with out RG3. I really think Morris is going to be huge next year. AP didnt need a read option to run up your gut, and neither will Morris. A updated OL will make a huge difference. Teams will eventually figure out the Read-Option, and we basically shut down the Seahawks on D.

The choices on this poll are too absolute. Therefore I was forced to choose "no way - we suck." But we don't suck! RG just carried us on his back enough times that I don't think we would've made it with Cousins taking the snaps.

I guess we will get to find out.

My dread would be the Skins trading off Cousins, and he becomes legit. At the very least the Skin's need to give Cousins a shot at starting while RG3 is recovering just to make sure we are not trading a possible Brady, or Rogers. That would be awful!

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 09:31 AM ----------

I also think Morris can put up those numbers with out RG3. I really think Morris is going to be huge next year. AP didnt need a read option to run up your gut, and neither will Morris. A updated OL will make a huge difference. Teams will eventually figure out the Read-Option, and we basically shut down the Seahawks on D.

No I agree with that..but i don't think you even contemplate a Cousins trade now. Too many variables.

Shut down the seahawks on D? I wouldn't say that.

Morris benefitted from Griffin BIGTIME...Not saying he's not a great runner but he will have to work alot harder without a defense worried about RG3. I don't know how easily teams figure out the Read option.

With our pitiful secondary! I would say we definitely shut them down. If the offense would have actually stayed on the field more than 2 minutes at a time we would have held them to 13. Did anyone else notice that when Cousin's came in the dropped passes almost looked as if they were on purpose. He had what 3 drops? Right in the hands of the receivers.

I don't know, but I hope the team is willing to give it a try to start the season instead of RGIII being rushed back. I personally hope that he comes in and creates a quarterback controversy...I love RGIII, but I want options...

Best case scenario is that Cousins starts the first 8 games, proves that he is a franchise QB in the making. Then RGIII plays the last 8 and shows that he is still the same athletically and has progressed in his ability to read the defense. Sure there is going to be alot of debating on talk radio if that happens, but it gives the Skins the best possibility of succeeding in the future...

With our pitiful secondary! I would say we definitely shut them down. If the offense would have actually stayed on the field more than 2 minutes at a time we would have held them to 13. Did anyone else notice that when Cousin's came in the dropped passes almost looked as if they were on purpose. He had what 3 drops? Right in the hands of the receivers.

I see your point. Guess we have a difference of opinion what shutdown is. That was alot of yards in 3 quarters to be considered shutdown. Also remember they got trampled on a drive but caused a fumble on the goal line too. . But I do agree the offense doing nothing did not help the cause.

I see your point. Guess we have a difference of opinion what shutdown is. That was alot of yards in 3 quarters to be considered shutdown. Also remember they got trampled on a drive but caused a fumble on the goal line too. . But I do agree the offense doing nothing did not help the cause.

Yea, and I think by the 3rd quarter our D was really gassed. Hell, they played 12 minutes of every quarter...LOL

HOW BOUT REED DOWDY THOUGH!!! Man he came out of no where!

Yea, and I think by the 3rd quarter our D was really gassed. Hell, they played 12 minutes of every quarter...LOL

HOW BOUT REED DOWDY THOUGH!!! Man he came out of no where!

Yea..definitely on the field way to long. yep Dowedy? that how you spell it.? .came through for you guys BIGTIME...that was very impressive. Well feel good about your team..it was a good building block.

Archived