Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Are We A Playoff Team With Captain Kirk At The Helm?

LetThePointsSoar

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Look no one knows. We didn't know this year our D would suck the first 8 games, we didn't know our two starting safeties would start ONE game. Hell we didn't know our 6th round draft pick would break the Redskins rushing record man.

So with the info we have so far and what we have seen i say Kirk can do the job and do it well. We all know it would be almost impossible for the Eagles to be a good team next year, the Boys with the same setup will be the Boys, up and down like a yo yo and the Giants who knows. But we get our injured players on the D side squared away, get back Helu who can catch the ball out of the backfield, get a few pieces I say we will be strong. its not fair for us to doubt Kirk, he produced when the chips were on the line. He will have a full year under his belt, he will go thru all the OTAs, mini camps, etc. I think the Kid deserves us to trust him.

Rodgers was a first round pick being discussed as a possible #1 overall leading up to the draft. He fell that year because it was a rare situation where not a lot of teams were targeting QB's.

Same thing happened to Kirk that happened to Rogers. Kirk was expected before Wilson.

:wtf:

Based on what? They have different styles of play. That's why you didn't see much of the option during the Browns game. Griffin is a tremendous pocket passer.....when healthy.

When healthy....this bothers me. I don't want to have this conversation again next year. In the back of my mind I have Vick worries about RG3 and staying healthy. I just hope that Kirk at least gets his shot in the first few games of the year.

Other wise we may be stuck with a Range Rover that leaks oil.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 09:47 AM ----------

I think it's no question. I would say 10-6 to 12-4 with Kirk.

Agree 100%...every QB gets their shot....I hope we get to see Kirk take his.

I would feel comfortable with Kirk Cousins being the QB next year if we need him to. First, the Ravens game. He came in cold because of Griff's injury. He remained icy because he didn't panic and threw for a TD and ran for a 2 point conversion.

Now lets look at the stats for the Cleveland game he started.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321216005

His rating was 104.4, he went 26/37 for 329 yards and 2 TDs.

Alfred Morris ran for 87 yards and 2 TDs.

The offense put up 38 points.

All this from a rookie in his first start. Not to shabby.

On a side note, KC posted this tweet last night that made me bust out laughing.

https://twitter.com/KirkCousins8

Kirk Cousins‏@KirkCousins8

Helmet must hide a lot: Wearin 'Skins shirt & dude asks if I've been a life-long fan. I say its been more recent & he tells me he's die-hard

KC1 would get it done if RG3 is still injured. I swear he reminds me of a Brady with a little weaker arm but more mobile than him. I'd rather have him play the whole season instead of bringing in Griffin halfway or late risking re-injuring the knee.

https://twitter.com/KirkCousins8

LOL!! I love it! I hope the best for this kid and I fear with stupid decisions in DC he may be playing against us instead of for us.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 09:57 AM ----------

KC1 would get it done if RG3 is still injured. I swear he reminds me of a Brady with a little weaker arm but more mobile than him. I'd rather have him play the whole season instead of bringing in Griffin halfway or late risking re-injuring the knee.

I think if Kirk starts the season the Shanahanananan's will be face with a very tough decision. I agree with the Brady Reference, but I think Kirk has a stronger arm.

Same thing happened to Kirk that happened to Rogers. Kirk was expected before Wilson.

I have to disagree. Expectations of a first round pick will always be different than those of a fourth round pick. Rodgers was the second QB drafted and expected to replace Brett Favre when he hung it up. Kirk was what, the sixth QB taken? His expectations were career backup for our new star or developmental starter for future trade bait. It's really not comparable.

If our cap penalty is overturned then definitely, we can add some very key pieces to our defense and return them to a strength of the team.

If not, then it’s a maybe for me. Really have to see how well Kirk does after he plays a few games and teams see his tendencies.

This is Kirk's chance. What if he has a great season? Then what do we do? Trade Kirk for high draft picks and keep RGIII (with a reconstructed knee), right? Wow, I'm way ahead of myself. Isn't that what the off season is for? I think I'll take an 8-10 month nap.

This is Kirk's chance. What if he has a great season? Then what do we do? Trade Kirk for high draft picks and keep RGIII (with a reconstructed knee), right? Wow, I'm way ahead of myself. Isn't that what the off season is for? I think I'll take an 8-10 month nap.

Remember SD had the same issue, with Brees having shoulder surgery which you could say it maybe even more of an issue for a QB (I believe it was on the throwing arm side). at least RGIII can just become a pocket QB with always a danger of hurting you with his legs so he can protect his knee.

SD picked Rivers....how did that turn out. Remember Rivers was a high number 1 while Brees was a second round pick. Did Shanny say Cousins was a 2nd round pick on our board? man oh man

Given what we've seen so far, I think Kirk grows by leaps and bounds if he's given first team reps all offseason. This doesn't mean he would be a great (or even good) QB, but we saw what he did with just one week of first team reps - pretty impressive, especially for a rookie. Give him an improved defense and a great safety blanket in Davis and I'd say it's possible.

No IMO.

I'm not that confident in Kirk I'm sorry to say. Everyone is basing this optimism off of the the Browns game. IMO, he didn't look even decent until the second half. To me, he's played 2 good quarters and a few more bad ones. Does he have talent? yeah but teams aren't afraid of him.

Oh and to the guy who said he was a better pocket passer...A lot of Kirk's completions came off rollouts and other throws on the run so I don't think we can say whose better at this point

So, just so I'm tracking. We think that Kirk is:

A. Tom Brady with an improved arm

B. Aaron Rodgers incarnate

and

C. Will win the division.

I'd say you are probably safe with C. Kirk is a good quarterback, but to suggest he belongs in any paragraph with A&B is laughable. If he were, Griff would be the backup and our FO would have failed even more miserably than in the Cerrato days. Perhaps we need more water in the Koolaid. It seems a bit strong.

Here's what we do know. Kyle runs a more Denver-esque offense (in the Elway days) that is effective against aggressive defenses. We are able to pound the football without the threat of a QB running. Kirk can manage a game and win a game when asked. BASED off ONE game. He is our back-up, we don't deal him. We need him if this happens again. This is why we drafted him.

I think it depends because Robert was excellent at not turning the ball over. If Kirk played 16 games and had 10 or less INTs and 6 or less fumbles, then I would say: Yes, we are a playoff team with Kirk. I think we would have been a playoff team in 2011 with Rex if he didn't throw 1 INT and fumble 1 time in almost every game.

Our offense is good and is able to move the ball on the ground and in the air. With Robert, it is very dynamic. With Kirk, it would be a little more predictable, but if they take care of the ball, they will be able to move it and score some points.

I just had 1 more thought - With Robert we were so good in the red zone. Even without turnovers, there could be a dramatic drop off from Robert to Kirk in this area of the field.

All this is moot, since Robert will be back by late July. The down time will allow him even more time to study the game!!!

Have we really seen enough of Kirk to determine his overall, season-long, effectiveness? Of course not. The jury is still out and the sample size to evaluate him is far too small. From the actual health of RG3's knee to how valuable Cousins can be, the amount of armchair GMs on this board, who fully know how to direct the franchise, is just hilarious to me.

Archived