Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN TV: RG3 to have total ACL and LCL repair Wed morning (vid) (MET)

FlaSk1nsfan

Is anyone still questioning the Cousins pick now I wonder...?

I do since Shanahan didn't trust him enough to put him in the game over a hobbled, one legged, ineffective player.

He didn't seem to think Kirk could do better than 41 yards of offense in 6 posessions.

I do since Shanahan didn't trust him enough to put him in the game over a hobbled, one legged, ineffective player.

He didn't seem to think Kirk could do better than 41 yards of offense in 6 posessions.

Damn...when you put it that way...

That's the thing. We may lose a good backup, Kirk may want a trade if he feels the coaching staff doesn't have faith in his ability to put points on the board, which he's proven he can do.

Well put, but honestly why? Didn't he come in and kicked ass stone cold against the Ravens? Didn't he go out the following week and beat the Browns in their house while they were on a 3 game win streak? Doesn't make sense to me. could it be he didn't want to face questions about taking RGIII out when he told him "I am fine"? I don't know man what the answer is, all I know I trust Kirk C better than John Beck and Rex.

It's kind of funny reading the comments on the ESPN article. I love all the scared fans of other teams saying stuff like "He'll never be the same" or "No one comes back from an ACL injury". They seem to forget that AP came back and only missed the NFL rushing record by 9 yards. I seem to be forgetting someone else that came back from an ACL injury and went on to take the NFL by storm... oh yeah... RG3!!!

That's the thing. We may lose a good backup, Kirk may want a trade if he feels the coaching staff doesn't have faith in his ability to put points on the board, which he's proven he can do.

He can desire a trade all he wants. He is under contract. And he won't want a trade. He is not that kind of person.

A quote from Dr Andrews concerning Knee surgeries on NFL players in general....

"The average NFL player ... only about a little over 50 percent are still playing after two years. We say we have 90 to 90-plus percent success with (knee) surgeries (in non-NFL cases). But we're talking about playing in the NFL. It's not 90 percent, believe me.

Ive waited 20 years for a franchise QB, we trade away our future to finally get one and then recklessly play him hurt and risk his career. SMH. I am SOOOOOO pissed right now.

Brady tore his ACL and MCL. Albeit it was at the beginning of the season. He's been fine ever since. Robert's career is not over. Brady was 31 years old. Robert is 22. I understand this is Robert's 2nd ACL surgery, but from all reports, the first one wasn't done right. Andrews is the best. The good thing is, Robert is not a running QB. I believe he'll still be able to scramble, but I think the read option days are over.

well i guess in cousins we trust, next man up

Did you not read the article? 6-8 months. If this is true, KC won't be starting.

If this is accurate and he's 100%, he will play. However, I have my doubts considering the way they disclosed the previous injury. If he can't run smoothly and explosively, then he needs to sit.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 09:36 AM ----------

Hopefully the 6-8 month time frame is correct, but I could easily see him start the season on the PUP list and miss the first 6 games. They really need to protect him better and he needs to learn to slide or get out of bounds on every play, I can't imagine that knee could take another injury.

I agree they need to protect him better in the sense that they shouldn't let him play hurt. However, RG3 needs to protect himself better by playing smarter. Both times he got hurt this season were on scrambles where he didn't get down soon enough (the baltimore hit is debatable but he should have headed for the sidelines IMO)

It's kind of funny reading the comments on the ESPN article. I love all the scared fans of other teams saying stuff like "He'll never be the same" or "No one comes back from an ACL injury". They seem to forget that AP came back and only missed the NFL rushing record by 9 yards. I seem to be forgetting someone else that came back from an ACL injury and went on to take the NFL by storm... oh yeah... RG3!!!
People please stop talking about AP. He is the exception and not the rule.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking there isn't a significant risk that RG3 may not come back the same. Think Bo Jackson.

Also remember, this is his second, not first, injury to that knee. Not good.

Not sure Bo Jackson is a great comparison. He lost a hip. Not really the same as an ACL.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 09:41 AM ----------

Pretty sure the lowest rung of humanity posts below ESPN articles:ols:

Just get healthy RG3, if that means missing the 2013 season or a good portion of it, so be it, we'll roll with Cousins. I still feel this team is heading in the right direction and looking forward to the offseason and getting players back like Merriweather, Rak and Carriker.

My full support still with Shanny and all of our coaches and players. This is still RG3's team, and when he is fully healthy and ready to go can't wait to see him back out there!

Not sure Bo Jackson is a great comparison. He lost a hip. Not really the same as an ACL.

Complicated since his was a complication from the hip injury, but the parable is meant to illustrate key injury of potential game-changing talent before they have a chance to make a real impact on the league/team.

In that sense, I think Jackson's case is eerily similar to our franchise QB's. I hope I'm wrong.

I'll be surprised if he's ready to go for the season. No pressure RG3. Be smart about this. There may be setbacks and such but with a strong will and determination he can overcome it.

Between A.Ps fast recovery both mentally & physically(best case) & Tom Bradys multiple infections post surgery requiring more surgery along with slow mental recovery (worst case), if RG3 can settle somewhere in the middle i'd be happy.

Cheers to a complete recovery :).

I have been waiting for someone to point this out. I mean seriously people, you don't want to compare to someone with the same injury a year apart, but you do want to compare with a guy who injured a completely different body part in basically the stone age of sports medicine? Really?!

Brady tore his ACL and MCL. Albeit it was at the beginning of the season. He's been fine ever since. Robert's career is not over. Brady was 31 years old. Robert is 22. I understand this is Robert's 2nd ACL surgery, but from all reports, the first one wasn't done right. Andrews is the best. The good thing is, Robert is not a running QB. I believe he'll still be able to scramble, but I think the read option days are over.

Im 90% sure Andrews did his first surgery too. So if thats the case, then Andrews, the great athletes dr, screwed up. Where did you see his ACL repair was not done right the first time?

Just get healthy RG3, if that means missing the 2013 season or a good portion of it, so be it, we'll roll with Cousins. I still feel this team is heading in the right direction and looking forward to the offseason and getting players back like Merriweather, Rak and Carriker.

My full support still with Shanny and all of our coaches and players. This is still RG3's team, and when he is fully healthy and ready to go can't wait to see him back out there!

Don't leave Fred Davis off that list. We'll have some big time players back next year to help out Cousins if he winds up being the starter.

Archived