Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Multiple Sources: Jason Garrett Keeps Head Coach Title, but Loses Offensive Play Calling Duties for 2013

Boss_Hogg

Per NFL.com, via Ian Rapoport

Sounds like the Cowboys are in the process of recruiting an extra set of eyes. Is Sherm Lewis still available?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119968/article/cowboys-eye-playcalling-oc-to-help-jason-garrett

"The Cowboys intend to keep Jason Garrett, I have not heard this morning that that has changed," Rapoport told "Around the League" on Monday. "A better possibility is that the Cowboys could hire an offensive coordinator to call plays for Jason Garrett and allow him to be a walk-around coach and essentially just be the leader of men that they think he can be."
The Cowboys are showing faith in Garrett's leadership. He navigated his team through some tricky scenarios in 2012 and had the Cowboys at the brink of a playoff berth. Dallas fell short once again, but the team believes minor -- not major adjustments -- are in order.

Keep looking for that special Glory Hole Jerruh, you're doing a great job!

Sounds like shades of Jim Zorn ... you can keep the HC title, but we are going to remove you from offense game planning and play calling. Please just stand over here and look into the camera so we have a fall guy in case everything blows up. If we win, you get no credit, but if we lose, then you are the cause. And don't be offended if it looks like we don't trust you in front of the players.

Wonder if Jerry tries to lure Norv back to be OC?

Heard on Mike & Mike that there is apparently some kind of rift between Garrett and Norv going back to his early days in Big D, and that he (Garrett) went out of his way behind closed doors to let people know that he wouldn't be in favor of it (which is kind of rich considering his own current precarious situation) which may have led to Jerry making this decision.

Heard on Mike & Mike that there is apparently some kind of rift between Garrett and Norv going back to his early days in Big D, and that he (Garrett) went out of his way behind closed doors to let people know that he wouldn't be in favor of it (which is kind of rich considering his own current precarious situation) which may have led to Jerry making this decision.

Interesting.:)

I'm glad they aren't hiring Gruden or someone that could really do something with their roster. Forcing a play caller on a offensive minded coach? What could go wrong?! :ols:

Snyder and Jerry have gone in opposite directions and I couldn't be happier.

Jerruh should have a go at calling plays.

No, he is doing to good of a job at GM, you wouldn't want him delegating those duties.

BTW Garrett was just yesterday prior to this statement saying he wouldn't want to give up playcalling duties, lol. So how does that feel for the guy coming in? I can only hope they complete the circle with the addition of Norv, Jason leaves next year and Norv takes over as HC.

Now after laughing at us and talking **** after the "Hip Hip Hooray/Swinging Gate" Era, Cowboys fans will now feel the pain we felt during '08/'09, on top of just having their lunch money taken on Prime Time not even a week ago.

That is going to be a dead team walking next year. Hopefully the fans aren't smart enough to revolt and force Jerry to back off and hire competent football minds.

I'll wager that the "new playcaller" catapaults the Cowboys to the top of the NFCE predictions next year...:beatdeadhorse:

say what you want about his head coaching abilities but Norval has been an excellent OC during his career. I don't think that he makes the Cowboys a favorite, but JG needed to lose his OC duties. I have no problem if the hire is Norval. I can't say that this will be a success, but he knows the organization and he has had success as an OC there in the past. Let's be realistic, JG was not a good OC. If this doesn't work then JG is gone.

Archived