Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KK Writes| Mike Wise Asks RG3 About the Name "Redskins"

kevinklein

Far from it. Like you, I hope the name stays and have no problems with it. I also won't miss his radio show.

But I'm of the "I may not agree with your views, but I'll fight to protect your right to say them" mindset. If this thread was about whether or not the name "Redskin" was racist, I wouldn't be here defending Wise. To me, the thread seemed to be about whether he had the right to say what he said when he said it. I say he did. Made for an interesting presser.

Just because you have the right to say something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Wise is an ass with an agenda and I do not respect him.

The word "Redskin" was never meant as a racial slang and actually came out of the necessity to survive warfare between the Taino people of Boriken (Puerto Rico) and the Spanish soldiers that inhabited the island as part of Spain's plan to maintain supremacy over the people that greeted Columbus in 1492. The Spanish soldier's constructed fortresses in the vicinity of the villages. The fortresses had several lookout posts that were used by the soldiers to be on the lookout for attacks by the Taino braves. They were always led into battle by their Caciques (chiefs). As part of the religious beliefs of the Taino people, they had to take part in Areyto (Pow-Ow)to request the blessing of the god of war and receive his protection during battle. The Areyto involved ritual dances and culminated with face painting. The coloring extracted from Achiote seeds, which produce a bright orange-reddish pigment, was used. The lookout soldiers' job was to look for this as it meant that the Taino's were attacking. The Spanish soldier's screamed, as loud as they could, "Piel Roja", which translates into "Red Skin". This became the "Battle Cry" for the Spanish. In doing so, the word became associated with Native Americans. Oddly enough, it was never meant as a racist word or to describe any people as others might insinuate, But instead, it became and should be known as a word of great pride to anyone who claims native American ancestry. It represents the great valor and courage of men, who knew their weapons were inferior and that death waited for them over the clearing, but still fought and gave their lives for freedom from the oppressors.

But I know, there are some today who don't care about the original use of the word and would rather agree with the way some at the turn of the 20th century and Hollywood turned it around. They would rather AGREE with THEM.

Far from it. Like you, I hope the name stays and have no problems with it. I also won't miss his radio show.

But I'm of the "I may not agree with your views, but I'll fight to protect your right to say them" mindset. If this thread was about whether or not the name "Redskin" was racist, I wouldn't be here defending Wise. To me, the thread seemed to be about whether he had the right to say what he said when he said it. I say he did. Made for an interesting presser.

I know exactly what you mean, and have no problem with it. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

On another note, this thread doesnt even belong in The Stadium anymore, lol. :)

I know exactly what you mean, and have no problem with it. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

On another note, this thread doesnt even belong in The Stadium anymore, lol. :)

I have a problem with it when it's not just your opinion, but an attention grab to save your career. Classless move, regardless of his rights.

I havent read a UnWise Mike column in well over a year now. He occasionally gets a click out of me if the Post puts a teaser link without his name on the Sports section front page. I always think "Damn you Washington Post for tricking me!" He is worthless, at least his radio show got cancelled. Hopefully that is the beginning of the end. The Post generally needs better columnists. The only one I really like is Boswell. Reid thinks hindsight is a legitimate grounds for criticism. Tracy Hamilton fits a pun into every sentence and talks about herself WAY TOO MUCH.

The beat-bloggers are generally top notch though.

Edit: Also, Wise writes a column on the name Redskins once per year, every year. It is his way of reminding everyone that he is still annoying, in case you managed to forget.

I havent read a UnWise Mike column in well over a year now. He occasionally gets a click out of me if the Post puts a teaser link without his name on the Sports section front page. He is worthless, at least his radio show got cancelled. Hopefully that is the beginning of the end. The Post generally needs better columnists. The only one I really like is Boswell. Reid thinks hindsight is a legitimate grounds for criticism. Tracy Hamilton fits a pun into every sentence and talks about herself WAY TOO MUCH.

Edit: Also, Wise writes a column on the name Redskins once per year, every year. It is his way of reminding everyone that he is still annoying, in case you managed to forget.

I cover the Caps (when there's a season), and Steve Whyno, the beat blogger for the Times, definitely outshines the Post folk, which is not to take anything away from them. Whyno is just the man when it comes to Caps beat.

I havent read a UnWise Mike column in well over a year now. He occasionally gets a click out of me if the Post puts a teaser link without his name on the Sports section front page. I always think "Damn you Washington Post for tricking me!" He is worthless, at least his radio show got cancelled. Hopefully that is the beginning of the end. The Post generally needs better columnists. The only one I really like is Boswell. Reid thinks hindsight is a legitimate grounds for criticism. Tracy Hamilton fits a pun into every sentence and talks about herself WAY TOO MUCH.

With you on Boswell. Only one I read.

Good commentary KK, I enjoyed reading your perspective.

As for RG3...poor guy. It's embarrassing he has to deal with that type of idiocy. Sorry buddy, hang in there!!! :ols:

I'm also wondering about the veracity of "most" Native Americans find the team name offensive. I live in Karuk Tribal land and I have to say, I got along very well with the vast majority of the Karuk kids in HS as we wore matching Redskins gear quite a bit during football season. Maybe that's just one small segment of Native Americans who doesn't care, I don't know, but our love of the Redskins was something that created a lot of friendships that otherwise probably wouldn't have happened as we hung out with polar opposite social groups...

I cover the Caps (when there's a season), and Steve Whyno, the beat blogger for the Times, definitely outshines the Post folk, which is not to take anything away from them. Whyno is just the man when it comes to Caps beat.

Agreed, Whyno is great. He is so terrible on TV though, like he's reading from a script.

Of the sports writers in DC, he is probably my #3 behind Boswell and (this may be a wild card) Dave Sheinin.

Anyways, thats sort of OT. Lets get back to banging on UnWise Mike. God he sucks.

Edit: Oh, and i didnt say it in my first post, but I thought your piece was really good KK.

That may have been the stupidest question (mainly timing, but delivery and content as well) that I've ever heard, short of media day at the Super Bowl. I honestly didn't even know it was Wise. I initially thought it was some hack journalist reporting for an out of town network.

have to agree with this, its a dumbass question

more importantly, why didnt Wise find the balls to ask Rex Grossman this last year? Or John Beck? Why did he feel the need to ask the black QB? Its so transparent.

It's also somewhat offensive to assume that minorities should be spokespersons for all racial matters. "Oooo, so you're a black QB for the Redskins, which qualifies you to address this topic!" Wise is the paternalistic white guy who bombards his black "friends" with questions about race, assuming that they have some sort of mystical knowledge about race that he couldn't possibly figure out on his own.

I think this is an awesome point and wraps up UnWise Mike pretty well. He gets an idea in his head that HE THINKS makes him enlightened, but he doesn't really get it.

I went back and forth with Wise on Twitter a bit today. Apart from being a hack journalist, he also seems incapable of a) making a point or B) defending a point when presented with the challenge. Seriously.

You should read the exchange I just had with him. He seems incapable of debate at a level above childish insults. Follow @octotron

Good commentary KK, I enjoyed reading your perspective.

As for RG3...poor guy. It's embarrassing he has to deal with that type of idiocy. Sorry buddy, hang in there!!! :ols:

I'm also wondering about the veracity of "most" Native Americans find the team name offensive. I live in Karuk Tribal land and I have to say, I got along very well with the vast majority of the Karuk kids in HS as we wore matching Redskins gear quite a bit during football season. Maybe that's just one small segment of Native Americans who doesn't care, I don't know, but our love of the Redskins was something that created a lot of friendships that otherwise probably wouldn't have happened as we hung out with polar opposite social groups...

Did he say most? I thought he said "many,"which can be argued depending on what sample size he is refering to, but if he used "a few" it would be more accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived