Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Aldrick Robinson not being used more?

redskins4ever28

Not trying to sound like Im complaining about anything, but seriously, this kid is special yet hes not in the game much? Id rather have him in there than Hank, and I like Hank, I just think Robinsons speed is so incredible. Maybe he isnt the best blocker but seriously, get him in there, even if its to have him streak a few times a quarter!

Those looks were not open given how deep the safetys were playing. We also did not throw the ball that much. I think that teams are getting hesitant to play up for the pistol and getting burned by the big one. They would prefer to give up 15 or 20 as opposed to a 70 yard touchdown. Speed usually does not go into a slump and teams are always aware he is there. Frees up Garcon and everyone else.

I think we have the luxury of being able to rotate our 5 WRs (Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, Moss, and Robinson), our 2 TEs (Paulsen and Paul), our 2 RBs (Morris and Royster), and our FB (Young) into the game based on the circumstances. That's 10 offensive players not named Griffin who have proven that they will step up and make a play if called upon. That's a nightmare for a defense. Robinson might put up more numbers if he was used differently, but there's no reason to do so at this point.

Maybe he isnt the best blocker...

I watched him on a few run plays when he was in, and he was getting tossed around by the Giants corners. I think it was Webster that just slammed him on the ground. Basically, with his limited ability as a blocker, and his tendency to only run deep routes, defenses will start to know what's coming when they see him. I still think we should use him more at least as a decoy, though.

Well, we've got this guy named Banks on the roster who he can't seem to pass on the depth chart.

He has passed Banks. Robinson was out on the field against the giants but with the way they were playing their safeties, he largely was clearing out the underneath routes as he went deep.

He has passed Banks. Robinson was out on the field against the giants but with the way they were playing their safeties, he largely was clearing out the underneath routes as he went deep.

Not on punt returns and kickoffs.

---------- Post added December-5th-2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

I would absolutely LOVE for him to become KR. Just use that pure burner speed and gash teams right through the seam. Think with his speed and size he could easily burn teams for 30 a pop.

The problem is that he didn't return in college so he's still learning and I'm not sure I want somebody back there just learning.

Well, we've got this guy named Banks on the roster who he can't seem to pass on the depth chart.

Banks did not take a single snap on offense against the Giants IIRC.

In response to the OP Robinson is getting his snaps in the rotation and is doing just fine. He had a couple of games when he started while Garcon was injured and he did not show up as much we we would have liked - he stil has work to do on his coverage recognition and route running on shorter and intermediate routes IMO. Right now his role is that of a situational guy who can take the top off a defense on called shot plays - I think he is a keeper though and I'm hoping after a full season and another offseason he can handle a bigger role.

I watched him on a few run plays when he was in, and he was getting tossed around by the Giants corners. I think it was Webster that just slammed him on the ground. Basically, with his limited ability as a blocker, and his tendency to only run deep routes, defenses will start to know what's coming when they see him. I still think we should use him more at least as a decoy, though.

I think hed be great for the slants we run. I also would love him on screens. Outs, and curls, not so much.

Yeah, but he returned quite a few punts and kickoffs.

for a few yards, right?

Aldrick is a good blocker, he's not big, but he puts his heart into it. At this time, he is a "one trick pony" so while he learns the rest of the route tree, he is out there as an option for Robert. If that option is taken... the middle of the field and underneath is very much wide open.

Being a one trick pony teams will generally play deep coverage when he is in the game. If they leave him 1-1 Griffin is throwing his way almost everytime. I hope he continues to develop so he can be used in a more traditional role next season. I think he has a ton of talent he is just very raw. Reminds me of Mike Wallace, and I hope he can develop like Mike Wallace has.

Not on punt returns and kickoffs.

---------- Post added December-5th-2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

The problem is that he didn't return in college so he's still learning and I'm not sure I want somebody back there just learning.

On PR, yes. You are right that it would be wrong to put Aldrick back at PR. His inexperience and the fact that he was garbage in Preseason returning them is a red flag. But KR? Niles can tell him when to return it... He just needs to burn.

+

He's just a deep guy right now. If he can improve on underneath routes he'll be really dangerous (maybe Moss' successor), but right now he's sort of just a deep threat, which they negate by keeping 2 safeties deep.

The benefit of leaving him on the field though is that that's two safeties who can't play near the line. Suddenly, unless you've got a corner staying home, that's only 7 players in the box, and our offense will grab 5 and 6 yard chunks against 7 guys in the box all day between Morris and RGIII.

And if they don't leave two deep, suddenly Robinson will get a deep TD.

I think the WR corp is still very much a work in progress, but if Hank and Robinson continue to develop, Garcon, Morgan, Hank, and Robinson will make for a very solid squad of guys for the next 5+ years.

Our Wide Receivers are in a rotation, so they all stay fresh and can fly full speed on their routes.

The Giants kept at least one safety waaaaaay back there -- so far back he wasn't on the pre-snap photos they show players on the bench between series.

Santana didn't have any balls come his way either, and he's been absolutely clutch for us this year.

It's just how it went -- our game plan was to jam it down their throats.

I think hed be great for the slants we run. I also would love him on screens. Outs, and curls, not so much.

I wouldn't want him running those slants or deep crosses either. The way Garcon and Morgan snatch those passes out of the air takes fearlessness. The last thing I want is Robinson short arming a catch and tipping the ball up for a defender. I like him in the screen and deep game, both as a target and a decoy to bait the defense. Anytime he comes off the line, one if not both safeties are going to bail now after the Eagles/Cowboys games. That opens up a lot for guys underneath.

Archived