Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best TV series on Cable

rictus58

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Breaking Bad and then the walking dead.

I don't wanna include south park in the same category because its a different type of show than these shows. Each episode is different and there is no story to follow in SP. SP is an amazing show and I believe i've seen every episode.

I am really hoping the Wire gets on Netflix because I really want to see it.

I went with The Wire but if The Wire was my 1a then Breaking Bad is my 1b, really depending on how strong the series finishes out it could possibly overtake it. They're both just brilliant.

I'm a bit surprised to see the all those votes for Game of Thrones, don't get me wrong I think it's a very good series and would never miss an episode but voting for it over most of those other shows is odd to me. There are six shows on that list that I would put ahead of it.

Also, I'm a little surprised to see Mad Men with that few (1...ha..) votes. It's by far one of the best written and acted shows on television but I think because of the subtly of it and the nature of the story it doesn't hold the attention of the masses. It's great though if you start at the beginning and stick with it, once you get to understand the characters it's amazing.

I think this season is fantastic!

Yeah I think it's just gotten a little too violent and a little too over the edge. I like Jax turning dark, but I don't need to see him bust in someone's face with a snowglobe. Just almost too much going on and the cartel, Nero, IRA, etc. too much. God only knows where they go if there is another season or two.

I think this season is fantastic!

Yeah, you could make a case for the current season of SoA being the best. If not the best then one of the top two, it's been much better then the past two.

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 04:44 PM ----------

Yeah I think it's just gotten a little too violent and a little too over the edge. I like Jax turning dark, but I don't need to see him bust in someone's face with a snowglobe. Just almost too much going on and the cartel, Nero, IRA, etc. too much. God only knows where they go if there is another season or two.

There are at least 2 more seasons after the current one finishes.

The Wire was amazing television. Very good series.

And the best part,, it had a beginning, a story, and an end.

so many series do not.

I like most of the HBO series,, they seem to do it right. Someone else mentioned Rome, and I really liked that as well.

the guy who played Caesar.. i forget his name,, a very powerful presence.. he played the part exactly as i'd have imagined such a man.

~Bang

People keep telling me I need to get hip to Breaking Bad and Dexter. I'm a TV junkie, but somehow I missed the bus for these two apparently amazing shows. Guess I'll have to breakdown and have a marathon weekend sometime.

Any love for LOST on here? Probably the best show I've ever expreienced. Not watched, experienced.

Breaking bad is a lot better then Dexter.

Personally I love Broadwalk Empire more then breaking bad.

My vote would be for the wire. Nice dolphin. Cheese was randomly hilarious. I am not a fan of walking dead. I couldnt get into it.

I also really liked The Shield.

That was one I looked forward to every week.. tuesday morning I'd get a smile knowing it was on at 10.

I'd still like to see some sort of spinoff with Dutch the detective.. he was a strange character that had a lot of possibilities.

TheShieldTitle.JPG

~Bang

The Wire was amazing television. Very good series.

And the best part,, it had a beginning, a story, and an end.

so many series do not.

I like most of the HBO series,, they seem to do it right. Someone else mentioned Rome, and I really liked that as well.

the guy who played Caesar.. i forget his name,, a very powerful presence.. he played the part exactly as i'd have imagined such a man.

~Bang

Ciaran Hinds

He'll be in season 3 of Game of Thrones.

I still like the show, but I don't like this season as much either. They have ceased to be a biker club IMO, what with the pretty matching bikes, and all. Seeing Gemma melt down sucks too because as a strong presence she was a major part of the show. Jax just doesn't make a convincing president of a MC to me. He's too pretty and, while violent, not mean enough - at least in the petty kind of mean biker way.

The Wire was so good for every single episode. Street gangs and regular Joe cops. It had the characters, they didn't 'evolve' much, at least not in an out of character way. String was always the guy who would try to lift himself out, so seeing him try to do so was expected, not out of character like seeing Jax negotiate with a street gang Warren Buffet in a Bentley. The Sopranos was similar to The Wire in that respect. They were who they were and they seemed like mafia guys. **** happened to them and they reacted but they stayed recognizable. It don't recognize the MC compared to the first season. They seem like over analysing, violent kinda stupid wusses. Worrying about things way too much instead of just going and beating some heads like an MC would do. Plus they are not near as closely knit as an MC. No way would guys be turning on each other the way they do.

On network television.

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 03:36 PM ----------

I think Wilfred or Archer might be the best shows on TV right now, but not enough people watch them.

Workoholics is fantastic too. Add in a little Always Sunny and you've got some great TV.

I used to be huge into Dexter, but it got formulaic for my tastes. I rather enjoy Game of Thrones except for the fact that they make the show much more sexually explicit than any of the books I've read so far.

:ols: :ols:

I really don't understand this mindset (not speaking about just you ASF)

People get decapitated and worse on a regular basis on the show and and in the books and Dexter is a show about a serial killer - yet sex/nudity is offensive.

I agree with you that the quality of Dexter fell off a cliff after the first few seasons and I can't really believe I used to think it was one of the best shows on TV.

:ols: :ols:

I really don't understand this mindset (not speaking about just you ASF)

People get decapitated and worse on a regular basis on the show and and in the books and Dexter is a show about a serial killer - yet sex/nudity is offensive.

I agree with you that the quality of Dexter fell off a cliff after the first few seasons and I can't really believe I used to think it was one of the best shows on TV.

It isn't that I find sex offensive instead it was made much more in the HBO series than in the books. In the book you'd read about a sentence where two people had sex, in the series it would be a full 5 minute scene.

Breaking Bad is good but I'm not gung ho about it. I don't think it's the best thing I've seen, sometimes it just feels too much like a television show and I can't lose myself in it.

I'm not crazy about Homeland either. It has some awesome moments and it's exciting but then it has some really bad moments. It's a flawed show. It tips its hand too much, too predictable, too 24 from time to time.

Watched the first season of Walking Dead, enjoyed it but had no interest in watching any more of it. I didn't think much of it's artistic merit. Just lots of cliches.

I watched the first couple of seasons of Dexter but just could not get into it. Again, lots of cliches. A lot of silliness. I can't stand some of his awful monologues.

Game of Thrones would be really great if I hadn't read the books. I would actually recommend for people who love the show and haven't read the books to not read them if you want to keep loving the show. I still watch it, I still find it entertaining, but I can't completely endorse it knowing how bad it is compared to the book. They just make some really terrible choices in the translation to TV, get away from things they shouldn't, include unnecessary things they shouldn't, and then invent things they shouldn't. Probably my biggest complaint is the show has zero subtlety. There are times when it feels like nothing more than a jumped up Starz Network style nudity-fest.

I've never sat down and tried to watch the Wire or the Sopranos from the beginning so I can't comment on them. I have a feeling if I watched them it would make shows like Homeland and GoT seem even worse.

Mad Men and Deadwood are my two favorites from the list. Though Mad Men has been declining a bit lately. Earlier in the show though it was a masterful work of art.

---------- Post added December-1st-2012 at 03:25 PM ----------

Always Sunny is overrated, very overrated. Curb Your Enthusiasm is 10x funnier.

Yeah I don't even watch it any more. For a hot minute it was brilliant but it peaked a couple years ago and just doesn't do it for me any more.

You know I've never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm? I've had so many opportunities to get into it but never did it. I've kind of been saving it as this ultimate show I'm going to watch one day and just have it ruin comedies for me forever. I'll probably start it up when 30 Rock ends after this year.

Louie is amazing though. I'd say it's actually the best show on TV. I've always loved Louis CK though, I was ready to buy in from day one.

The League is good and occasionally piss your pants hilarious but it's a bit formulaic. And the characters don't have the authenticity that can make a comedy great.

---------- Post added December-1st-2012 at 03:27 PM ----------

I'm surprised GoT is getting any votes with the caliber of shows up on this list. Is it Secunia it was recent? I mean the first season was good (2nd not so much and I hate to be that guy but the books are WAY better) but even the best of GoT doesn't hold a candle to Wire, BB, and Sopranos worst seasons. I hope season 3 of GoT steps it back up.

I haven't seen the Wire or Sopranos but I completely agree with you. BB is a lot better show than GoT. You're absolutely right about the books being way better too.

---------- Post added December-1st-2012 at 03:37 PM ----------

I think Wilfred or Archer might be the best shows on TV right now, but not enough people watch them.

Archer is hilarious and I used to watch every episode but I've stopped watching it lately. I loved Frisky Dingo and saw most of the episodes of Sealab way back when, I think I just got kind of tired of the style. It's hard for me to stick with an animated show.

Wilfred is awesome. I loved the second season even more than the first. It's such a simple concept, classic comedic pairing of opposites that's been done a million times before--uptight neurotic & the selfish free spirit. Really only about four or five characters, but it's fantastic. I love the bits of dog humor woven in, again, been done by Family Guy before but Wilfred does it in a way that's it's own. And the show has jokes that you can see coming but when the punch line comes, it's exactly how you want it to be. That show just does it for me.

---------- Post added December-1st-2012 at 03:43 PM ----------

Also, I'm a little surprised to see Mad Men with that few (1...ha..) votes. It's by far one of the best written and acted shows on television but I think because of the subtly of it and the nature of the story it doesn't hold the attention of the masses. It's great though if you start at the beginning and stick with it, once you get to understand the characters it's amazing.

Yeah Mad Men is probably my favorite on TV now but I went with Deadwood for my vote. There really isn't a moment of Deadwood I don't find enjoyable. In that way it probably benefits from only getting three seasons--less of a chance to lose steam.

Archived