Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best TV series on Cable

rictus58

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Why is the Wire included here? It's not on TV anymore, and if this is an all-time poll, there is a LOT missing. Six Feet Under, anyone?

Breaking Bad is the best show on cable right now, I know that.

Baffled that Mad Men only has 2 votes, behind Dexter, which was only worth being in the conversation for the first few seasons.

I was a big Sopranos fan, never thought I would fid anything as good to watch and then this year I started watching the Wire. Man is that show good.

I will give props to Breaking Bad, I have seen a few episodes and really liked what I saw, but with a series such as this, I don't want to miss anything or learn something from a current episode that could change the way I see a previous episode, basically I really want to see that show in order so I won't watch it until i can sit down and start at episode 1.

Game of Thrones is not my cup of tea, fantasy land and all, but most people I know who watch it love it.

Walking Dead- why is that on the list? I do not get the recent trend of zombie obseesion, and folks that's all it is a trend. (see 1980's & werewolves- American Werewolf in London, TeenWolf etc & vampires in the 1990's- Buffy, Dracula). 2020, it will be all about the mummies, ghosts or frankenstien's, I don't know which one yet so prepare for all.

Dexter, first season was great, then it went downhill from there. First sesaon was based on the book and had great natural cliff hangers, second season and beyond it became too much like other TV crime drama shows. Started to pick up again the last few seasons.

Why is the Wire included here? It's not on TV anymore, and if this is an all-time poll, there is a LOT missing. Six Feet Under, anyone?

Breaking Bad is the best show on cable right now, I know that.

Baffled that Mad Men only has 2 votes, behind Dexter, which was only worth being in the conversation for the first few seasons.

All time would also have to include...

Rome

Deadwood

Bionic Man

HR Puff and Stuff..

Match Game 81

etc..

Nothing comes close to Breaking Bad for me.

Dexter is still a favorite of mine although I hated season 6. It could have been so much better if they cast the right people. Colin Hanks, just turrible.

This season of Dexter has been really good.

I liked Homeland but I'll echo the statements from others. They can't do anything to justify the **** they pulled two weeks ago. I can't take it seriously anymore.

All time would also have to include...

Rome

Deadwood

Bionic Man

HR Puff and Stuff..

Match Game 81

etc..

I really liked Rome, the first season was great, but they rushed the second season because they knew it was being cancelled.

There's a lot of shows which *could* be listed, but I didn't feel like have a 30 option poll.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/09/85-the-wire/

For the past three years, whenever you say “The Wire” white people are required to respond by saying “it’s the best show on television.” Try it the next time you see a white person! Though now they might say “it WAS the best show on television.”

So why do they love it so much? It all comes down to authenticity. A long time ago, someone started a rumor that when The Wire is on TV, actual police wires go quiet because all the dealers are watching the show. Though this is not true, it seems plausible enough to white people and has imbued the show with the needed authenticity to be deemed acceptable.

The popularity of this show among white people has create a unique opportunity for personal gain.

If you need to impress a white person, tell them you are from Baltimore. They will immediately ask you about The Wire and how accurate it is. You should confirm that it is “like a documentary of the streets,” the white person will then slowly shake their head and say “man” or “wow.” You will be seen in an entirely new light.

The Wire was successful due in large part to it's actual, not imagined, authenticity.

Creator David Simon was a former reporter for the Baltimore Sun newspaper for 10+ years. He spent a year inside the Baltimore city police department researching for and then writing the novel Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets. That book was then parlayed into the NBC drama Homicide: Life On The Streets.

The Wire and The Corner, a raw look inside the Baltimore heroine scene, followed.

Walking Dead- why is that on the list? I do not get the recent trend of zombie obseesion, and folks that's all it is a trend. (see 1980's & werewolves- American Werewolf in London, TeenWolf etc & vampires in the 1990's- Buffy, Dracula). 2020, it will be all about the mummies, ghosts or frankenstien's, I don't know which one yet so prepare for all.

George Romero says Hi. :ciao:

I believe Breaking Bad is almost flawless.

The Shield was the best show ever, imo. Every second was sucking your breath in, and then you realize you've been holding it for...oh, 10 minutes or so, not aware of anything else around you, not people, pets, not even air. Vic Mackey was pure power walking into a room, and scared the hell out of me...so scared I don't even risk a speeding ticket anymore.

The Wire was successful due in large part to it's actual, not imagined, authenticity.

Creator David Simon was a former reporter for the Baltimore Sun newspaper for 10+ years. He spent a year inside the Baltimore city police department researching for and then writing the novel Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets. That book was then parlayed into the NBC drama Homicide: Life On The Streets.

The Wire and The Corner, a raw look inside the Baltimore heroine scene, followed.

Homicide was an amazing read.

• 4 weeks later...

Why are their only dramas and South Park listed and some of those dramas are over? Of the ones listed, Mad Men is appointment TV for me. But Big Bang Theory has renewed my interest in sit-coms and Family Guy is better than South Park. I also just recently caught up on Guys with Kids over the Christmas break.

Do you still enjoy watching it? Or has it gone too far for you? I still really like the show, but a lot of people i have spoken with feel its gone too far.

I'd be pretty much done with it if my fiance wasn't so intent on watching it.

I think it went from a highly compelling spy thriller to a laughably ridiculous drama that is way too over-the-top for the world it created in season 1.

My interest in the show is pretty much non existent at this point.

Archived