Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are you reading?

Thinking Skins

Just picked up "Into the Fire", by Dakota Meyer.

It's an account of a pretty nasty engagement of Marines and afghan security soldiers against Taliban insurgents in a small hamlet in the badlands of Afghanistan on the border of Pakistan.

In a nutshell, the meeting that is set up with a tribal leader is actually a pretty well advertised ambush by the enemy, and the planning of the mission is so bad that it sets up our people in a box canyon with fire coming in from 3 sides.

Meyer is part ofa team of Marines, and had been ordered to sit in the rear so a gunnery sgt. administrator could get some bullets fired and qualify for the combat ribbon.. all sorts of really amateurish decisions by the command.

well, as I said, it goes bad, and th Operation Center is incometent, and Meyer jumps in a humvee with another marine and they are getting ready to drive in.

(That's as far as I've gotten. Meyer did win the Medal of Honor for his actions in this battle, so I'm guessing he's going to kill alot of bad guys.)

It's an alright book, I guess.

~Bang

Thinking about making my third trip through American Desperado: My Life--From Mafia Soldier to Cocaine Cowboy to Secret Government Asset

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/american-desperado-jon-roberts/1101573693?cm_mmc=googlepla-_-book-_-q000000633-_-9780307450425&cm_mmca2=pla&ean=9780307450425&r=1

Probably the most entertaining book I've ever read. If you've seen the Cocaine Cowboys documentary, you know who Jon Roberts is. This is his bio....it's just ridiculous story after ridiculous story of being in the mafia, cocaine deals and sex and violence.

He hung out with Mercury Morris back in the day...in one of the more memorable stories of the book, Morris brought OJ Simpson over to his house. Simpson stayed for 2 days straight doing nothing but snorting cocaine and just won't leave the house. Finally, it's Sunday and OJ has a game...but he's still at Roberts house. He's whacked out of his mind, still. Roberts hauls him to the airport in the morning, gives him more coke to wake him up and dumps him on a plane to Buffalo.

You can read it in a couple days. If you like mafia stuff or lived in 80's Miami, it's a great read.

Just wrapped up "Clash of Kings", and just started "Standing at the Scratch Line." I'm debating if I want to read the next book in the "Game of Thrones" series or if I want to watch it on HBO. Also, I'm simultaneously reading "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" for personal development.

As far as entertainment, I just finished David Baldacci's "The Innocent" tonight. It was an entertaining read as most of his novels are. l'm now starting "Gideon's Corpse" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

I also like to read self-improvement books. Because I'm in the process of becoming a vegetarian I'm in the middle of "The Plant-Powered Diet" and "Change Your Brain Change Your Body." (yeah, I'm ADD and am always in the middle of reading 3 or 4 books simultaneously). Anyway, although you didn't indicate that you read these types of books, just thought I'd throw them out there :)

Thinking about making my third trip through American Desperado: My Life--From Mafia Soldier to Cocaine Cowboy to Secret Government Asset

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/american-desperado-jon-roberts/1101573693?cm_mmc=googlepla-_-book-_-q000000633-_-9780307450425&cm_mmca2=pla&ean=9780307450425&r=1

Probably the most entertaining book I've ever read. If you've seen the Cocaine Cowboys documentary, you know who Jon Roberts is. This is his bio....it's just ridiculous story after ridiculous story of being in the mafia, cocaine deals and sex and violence.

He hung out with Mercury Morris back in the day...in one of the more memorable stories of the book, Morris brought OJ Simpson over to his house. Simpson stayed for 2 days straight doing nothing but snorting cocaine and just won't leave the house. Finally, it's Sunday and OJ has a game...but he's still at Roberts house. He's whacked out of his mind, still. Roberts hauls him to the airport in the morning, gives him more coke to wake him up and dumps him on a plane to Buffalo.

You can read it in a couple days. If you like mafia stuff or lived in 80's Miami, it's a great read.

I will definitely be checking this out. I'll have to make a trip to Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy.

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 04:35 AM ----------

Just finished "No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels" by Jay Dobyns, who used to be an ATF Agent. An easy, entertaining book that reads like a non-fiction Sons of Anarchy.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Angel-Harrowing-Undercover-Journey/dp/0307405869

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 04:36 AM ----------

Just finished "No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels" by Jay Dobyns, who used to be an ATF Agent. An easy, entertaining book that reads like a non-fiction Sons of Anarchy.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Angel-Harrowing-Undercover-Journey/dp/0307405869

As far as entertainment, I just finished David Baldacci's "The Innocent" tonight. It was an entertaining read as most of his novels are. l'm now starting "Gideon's Corpse" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

I also like to read self-improvement books. Because I'm in the process of becoming a vegetarian I'm in the middle of "The Plant-Powered Diet" and "Change Your Brain Change Your Body." (yeah, I'm ADD and am always in the middle of reading 3 or 4 books simultaneously). Anyway, although you didn't indicate that you read these types of books, just thought I'd throw them out there :)

I thought I was bad trying to read 2, one on the train ride in the morning, and another one on the train ride home. What else do you read for self-improvement?

• 1 month later...

Bump

Sorry guys, but I couldn't get through World War Z. Really disappointed in it. Might give it a go at a later time, but I don't know.

On the positive side, I read The Count of Monte Cristo last week....and it was AWESOME. I'm gonna have to go read The Three Musketeers and The Man In The Iron Mask Now. Sign me up for kickass revenge novels I guess.

Currently I just finished the first part of War and Peace. I know everyone is scared of that book, but it is so readable. It's hard to put down once you get started. I'm really surprised at how accessible it is. The only tough part is keeping up with all the Russian names. Anna Pavlovla is not the same as Anna Mikalovla (sp), and anna Mikalovla is Princess Drubetsky (sp). And Anna Mikalovla/Princess Drubetsky is a member of the Kostov family. WTF!

I thought I was bad trying to read 2, one on the train ride in the morning, and another one on the train ride home. What else do you read for self-improvement?

It's become the joke of the family, my coffee table is always stacked with multiple books to pick up and read according to my mood.

Right now I'm reading "The Child in the Suitcase" by Lene Kaaberbbol and Agnete Friis as my entertainment novel.

Self-improvement-wise: "Forks Over Knives" for my eating, "Say Good Night to Insomnia" by Gregg D. Jacobs for my totally messed up sleeping pattern, and "Tennis: Winning the Mental Match" by Allen Fox to help me improve my mindset on the court...which a this point, still resembles a 12 y/o's.

• 2 months later...

Holy crap.

cover_dogstars.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Stars-Peter-Heller/dp/0307959945

Hig survived the flu that killed everyone he knows. His wife is gone, his friends are dead, he lives in the hangar of a small abandoned airport with his dog, his only neighbor a gun-toting misanthrope. In his 1956 Cessna, Hig flies the perimeter of the airfield or sneaks off to the mountains to fish and to pretend that things are the way they used to be. But when a random transmission somehow beams through his radio, the voice ignites a hope deep inside him that a better life—something like his old life—exists beyond the airport. Risking everything, he flies past his point of no return—not enough fuel to get him home—following the trail of the static-broken voice on the radio. But what he encounters and what he must face—in the people he meets, and in himself—is both better and worse than anything he could have hoped for.

Narrated by a man who is part warrior and part dreamer, a hunter with a great shot and a heart that refuses to harden, The Dog Stars is both savagely funny and achingly sad, a breathtaking story about what it means to be human.

Great book.

Over the last couple of months I've read about a half dozen Jack Reacher novels.

Not bad.. there is some suspension of disbelief required.. like how this drifter manages to

A/ get himself in the thick of all this stuff all the time, and

B/ how law enforcement trusts this drifter who always finds himself in the middle of all this stuff.

Some of them are very good.

I really liked "Gone Tomorrow". No spoilers.

good action novel, quick read.

9780345541581_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

If you like things written in a fast style ie: James Patterson, you probably will enjoy these.

"Dog Stars" is now on my list. Sounds interesting

~Bang

Over the last couple of months I've read about a half dozen Jack Reacher novels.

Not bad.. there is some suspension of disbelief required.. like how this drifter manages to

A/ get himself in the thick of all this stuff all the time, and

B/ how law enforcement trusts this drifter who always finds himself in the middle of all this stuff.

Some of them are very good.

I really liked "Gone Tomorrow". No spoilers.

good action novel, quick read.

~Bang

I like the Reacher books, they're fun. Out of curiosity, does your mental image of Reacher look anything like ol wack-a-doodle Cruise? Mine sure doesn't. They should have used Jim Caviezel IMO.

Why Nations Fail is a pretty interesting rejoinder to 1491. Both books with theories on why wealth is spread around the world like it is - Sans Illuminati.

I'm like Special K where I'm reading multiple things. I don't really read much fiction these days.

White House Burning by Simon Johnson (debt and deficits)

Unconventional Success by David Swensen (index investing and asset allocation)

Coaching Spanish Soccer by Jordi Pascual (coaching spanish soccer)

Human Biology by Sylvia Mader (human biology)

Enough by John Bogle

I just bought Fundamental Analysis for Dummies off Amazon

Last fiction books I read was the Game of Thrones books. I read those within a year span, so I feel like I've filled my fiction quota for a while. :D

"Dog Stars" is now on my list. Sounds interesting

~Bang

How bleak is the writing style? I'm not averse to dark reads but when they are overly depressing I lose my interest fairly quickly. An example of what I'm talking about would be Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

Just a warning, the writer chooses his voice his story in a lot of fragmented thoughts and sentences. It'll make a helluva a screenplay, if they choose too.

As for it's bleakness, I didn't read the Road...so I cannot compare it. It's after humanity has been mostly (?) wiped out, so it's not a pretty book.

I like the Reacher books, they're fun. Out of curiosity, does your mental image of Reacher look anything like ol wack-a-doodle Cruise? Mine sure doesn't. They should have used Jim Caviezel IMO.

Why Nations Fail is a pretty interesting rejoinder to 1491. Both books with theories on why wealth is spread around the world like it is - Sans Illuminati.

No, not at all.

My Reacher looks more like Nick Nolte.

the fact 5' nothing Cruise is supposed to be 6'5" Reacher is just ridiculous.

I haven't seen the movie,, frankly, the one they chose to make the movie from is one of me least favorite of the books.. but i wondered if they let him stand on a chair while in scenes with other actors.

~Bang

No, not at all.

My Reacher looks more like Nick Nolte.

the fact 5' nothing Cruise is supposed to be 6'5" Reacher is just ridiculous.

~Bang

I could see that, particularly the infamous mug shot and the Reacher from the first book.

If the extraordinary height wasn't played up in the book so much it might not seem so wrong to use a munchkin. But his height is as much a part of the character as is his being off the grid. Don't know that I'll be able to ever get into Cruise in the part and it's a shame because Reacher has the makings for good movie characters (I would have expected a modern day Dirty Harry type character). Maybe they'll try again. I watched a documentary on the James Bond character that was on the other day and the contortions that Saltzman and Broccoli went through casting those changes. Boy it would have had a much better chance to grow with some like Connery to start the franchise.

Just finished "Raw Shark Texts" by Steven Hall. Intriguingly weird. Good mystery/amnesia-induced fugue yarn, mixed with odd abstract ideas like the main antagonist being a conceptual "word" shark.

yes, to repeat, the book includes a conceptual shark. Check it out.

---------- Post added March-13th-2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Final book in the series and by far the best. Windows of the World wine course for a refresher and Hunter Thompson Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.

I also have been flipping around a book on Chakras.

I found Quinn's "Ishmael" very interesting, but was less impressed with "Story of B." How does My Ishmael compare?

---------- Post added March-13th-2013 at 11:36 AM ----------

The Hobbit. Finally getting around to reading it. Have been on a huge Star Wars kick lately but wanted to take a break with other nerdy goodness. :geek:

I re-read the Hobbit to brush up before i saw the movie. Very much for kids,but also significantly more "readable" compared to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings felt like a chore, though i did enjoy parts of it.

I found Quinn's "Ishmael" very interesting, but was less impressed with "Story of B." How does My Ishmael compare?[/size]

Couldn't get through B, it was awful. My Ishmael is fantastic. Hands down the best one by far. I would have been happy if I only read that one.

Archived