Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are you reading?

Thinking Skins

Currently reading The Stand by Stephen King on my kindle. Also, reading A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

If anyone is a fan of Kurt Vonnegut you should read Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club.

My biggest regret was reading about 300 pages into The Stand and then putting it down. I really need to go back and start it over and complete it. And yeah, Fight Club is a great read. That dude's mind is just twisted.

My biggest regret was reading about 300 pages into The Stand and then putting it down. I really need to go back and start it over and complete it. And yeah, Fight Club is a great read. That dude's mind is just twisted.

Some of Palahniuk's not as well known books are more twisted than Fight Club. He is an excellent writer.

Currently reading The Stand by Stephen King on my kindle. Also, reading A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

If anyone is a fan of Kurt Vonnegut you should read Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club.

My mom is a huge Stephen King fan, and I bought her a book that was kinda "behind the scenes" of him. Funny thing about The Stand, it said that numerous people reported getting sick while reading The Stand. And me, my brother, and my mom all had the flu while she was reading it. Kinda funny.

Check out The Dome, it was awesome.

I'm currently reading Benjamin Mee's wonderful story of how he and his family's life changed in 'We Bought a Zoo.' The English guys tale that was re-set in America in one of my favorite films of last year with Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson and others from Cameron Crowe.

I'd highly recommend both the film and Ben's memoirs. A remarkable story of the power of hope and family out of utter despair through family tragedy.

A real feel good affair.

Hail.

At the moment I'm reading through The Unnatural Inquirer by Simon R. Green. (from his Night Side series)

I've kind of read his books out of order though, because I read one or two of the earlier ones a few years back and forgotten about them.

Then I read the last book in the series a few months ago and restarted with some of the earlier ones and now the later ones, without going through the middle bunch, mostly because they're harder to find.

A couple of weeks back I read Sacre Blue by Christopher Moore.

It was pretty damn funny, and I glad I finally got around to reading it.

I'm also am partway through Burgold's book and another book called Alif the Unseen on my kindle.

Just finished re-reading

200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

About to start re-reading

johndies.jpg

STOP.

You should not have touched this book with your bare hands.

NO, don’t put it down. It’s too late.

They’re watching you.

My name is David Wong. My best friend is John. Those names are fake. You might want to change yours. You may not want to know about the things you’ll read on these pages, about the sauce, about Korrok, about the invasion, and the future. But it’s too late. You touched the book. You’re in the game. You’re under the eye.The only defense is knowledge. You need to read this book, to the end. Even the part with the bratwurst. Why? You just have to trust me. The important thing is this:

The drug is called Soy Sauce and it gives users a window into another dimension. John and I never had the chance to say no. You still do.Unfortunately for us, if you make the right choice, we’ll have a much harder time explaining how to fight off the otherworldly invasion currently threatening to enslave humanity.I’m sorry to have involved you in this, I really am. But as you read about these terrible events and the very dark epoch the world is about to enter as a result, it is crucial you keep one thing in mind:

None of this is was my fault.

So that I can move on to the sequel after Christmas:

935062bfac25be1b1c0f6a706700c6c2.jpg

WARNING: You may have a huge, invisible spider living in your skull. THIS IS NOT A METAPHOR.

You will dismiss this as ridiculous fear-mongering. Dismissing things as ridiculous fear-mongering is, in fact, the first symptom of parasitic spider infection -- the creature secretes a chemical into the brain to stimulate skepticism, in order to prevent you from seeking a cure. That's just as well, since the "cure" involves learning what a chainsaw tastes like.You can't feel the spider, because it controls your nerve endings. You can't see it, because it decides what you see. You won't even feel it when it breeds. And it will breed. So what happens when your family, friends and neighbors get mind-controlling skull spiders? We're all about to find out.Just stay calm, and remember that telling you about the spider situation is not the same as having caused it. I'm just the messenger. Even if I did sort of cause it.Either way, I won't hold it against you if you're upset. I know that's just the spider talking.

But over the last couple of years, I read Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series. The premise: Lee's General Order 191 are never found by the Union army before the battle of Antietam. The South wins the civil war, and he creates an entirely new timeline from that point in time all the way up through the end of WWII. If you like historical fiction or alternate reality type book, I can't recommend it highly enough.

It starts with this book

HowFewRemain%281stEd%29.jpg

Or, if you just want to get a taste of his style without worrying about having to read a whole series, you can try one of his stand-alone books

175px-Guns_of_the_south.jpg

The story deals with a group of time-travelling Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging members who supply Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia with AK-47s and small amounts of other supplies (including nitroglycerine tablets for treating Lee's heart condition), leading to a Southern victory in the war.

The Blinding Knife, Brent Weeks.

Looking forward to Cold Days (Dresden Files) being released on the 27th too.

I recently finished this book and I must say for whatever reason I like Weeks and his writing style. Not the best of writers but I do get into his books for some reason. I have also read his Night Angel trilogy so if you have not read that yet go for it...

Working on my second Joe Hill book (that's the son of Stephen King).

Horns was awesome. Now reading Heart-Shaped Box.

I've read both. Definitely liked Horns better.

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

and to the OP, if you're ever looking for teenage dystopian lit, I'm your girl ;)

The Ravenous Brain: How the New Science of Consciousness Explains Our Insatiable Search for Meaning (D. Bor)

Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety (D. Smith)

You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself (D. McRaney)

and

The Eight (K. Neville)

Love Bor, and a girl made me do the Neville one.

I just finished reading Chariots of the Gods and I'm currently reading Hitler's Holy Relics and the Lost Symbol. If you want to read a great book that I know others here have loved as well, check out The Alienist by Caleb Carr. I've actually read it on 3 occasions, it was that good. It's not about aliens btw.

Right now I'm on the 3rd book (Storm of Swords) of the "a Song of Ice and Fire" series, which has recently been made into a TV series on HBO called 'Game of Thrones'. Very, very good book series. You feel really connected to the characters because each chapter is from the point of view of one of the characters. For me, it's a series of books that are very hard to put down.

GoT is the seminal work in the genre now IMO. The series is a masterpiece.

It's not a typical fantasy epic so much as an illustration of medieval geopolitics and social structures.

For me, Martin belongs on the epic fantasy Rushmore with Tolkien and Robert Jordan. He might even stand apart because he's such a superior writer.

I was on the third book too but have kind of stepped away from the series for now. It can get a little wearing.

I'm also weird in that I read three or four books at once and I don't usually read entire books or entire series. I'll finish nonfiction but I'll usually stop 3/5 to 4/5 of the way through a work of fiction. I know I should finish the books but I'll often lose interest after I kind of "figure a book out."--get a good understanding of the author's voice, themes, and story telling techniques. A lot of times the specifics of the plot are less important to me than the language and the themes.

---------- Post added November-21st-2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

I finished David McCullough's Truman a few weeks back. It took me a while to get through it but I did it! What crazy times and what a fascinating person.

Been interested in reading that since high school but never really sat down and decided to take it on.

I've liked what I read from McCullough. I'll probably still be "getting around to that book eventually" when I'm 80.

Been interested in reading that since high school but never really sat down and decided to take it on.

I've liked what I read from McCullough. I'll probably still be "getting around to that book eventually" when I'm 80.

I started with 1776 and followed up with Adams. Really good books. That got me the courage to start Truman :)

I just finished reading Ilium by Dan Simmons. Huge fan of Dan Simmons. I liked this book almost as much the Hyperion Cantos and will eventually read the sequel Olympos. If you liked Hyperion, go ahead and read this one too. There should be a lot of the universe that's already familiar to you, though the concept of Ilium is pretty wild.

I recently started reading Beloved by Toni Morrison. I was a little embarrassed to not have read it before and it was kind of a conspicuous hole. I don't spend enough time reading any more. I waste too much of my time following sports. October and November have been such horrific sports months that I'm trying to step away and balance my free time a little better.

Anyway, so far Beloved is everything it's reputation claims. Morrison is certainly one of the master stylists and greatest writers living. The novel is completely devastating. I get really emotionally effected by some books, this is one. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish it.

Reading right now, "Wanted Man" a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Childs. I've read all his books, love them. Can't wait for the Racher Movie to come out. I just bought Life of Pi for my kindle. Anyone have any of the new Kindle HD's? Thinking of upgrading to one.

Finished this just today: Candy Girl: A year in the life of an Unlikely Stripper--Diablo Cody.A really raunchy, decidedly dark but laugh out loud story about a young woman who takes a break from her cubicle work life to live as a stripper for both a mental break as well as a way to do a social experiment of sorts. I'll make a disclaimer and state that it's from the wife's book vault but it is a fast and entertaining read. Guilty reading pleasure.

I recently finished this book and I must say for whatever reason I like Weeks and his writing style. Not the best of writers but I do get into his books for some reason. I have also read his Night Angel trilogy so if you have not read that yet go for it...

I read the Night Angel trilogy. His writing seemed to improve as that series went along but as you said it still has a ways to go. Despite that I enjoyed the series a great deal and it's why I'm reading the Lightbringer series now. Plus, magical ninjas killing monsters... that's mind candy gold! Not 100% sold on this color stuff but his writing style does entertain. I'd rather be reading the next books in The Kingkiller Chronicle or The Stormlight Archive but I don't think Rothfuss or Sanderson will be releasing anything until late 2013 at the earliest. Bummer.

---------- Post added November-21st-2012 at 03:59 PM ----------

I started with 1776 and followed up with Adams. Really good books. That got me the courage to start Truman :)

I read 1776 but there is something about David McCullough's writing that makes it hard to fight through. Reading 1776 required more force of will than a book should ever require. I read a lot and I binge on genre's before moving to a new one and when I get back to history I'll probably give McCullough another shot.

I read 1776 but there is something about David McCullough's writing that makes it hard to fight through. Reading 1776 required more force of will than a book should ever require. I read a lot and I binge on genre's before moving to a new one and when I get back to history I'll probably give McCullough another shot.

I do not remember having a hard time reading 1776, but it may have been the excitement of learning more about that part of history. It did take a while before I picked up Adams. I was very impressed by it.

Archived