Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you go shopping on Thanksgiving, you are a ****ing *******

zoony

I hear what you're saying. Now what if the NFL decides to cancel TG day games because the players want to spend the day with their families. Would you feel the same way?

I never understood why this is ok or NBA on Christmas day. 

I mean working on Christmas? Shouldn't all the "war on Christmas" people get on that.

Retailers sweeten the pot for Thanksgiving workers

Retailers are hoping to entice their workers this Thanksgiving by offering a bigger paycheck, a store discount and a plate of turkey.

As a growing number of retailers announce plans to open their doors on Thanksgiving Day, criticism has similarly mounted among protesters and consumers, who are outraged that employees will now spend the holiday at work.

In response, retailers have been quick to offer their associates pay benefits and other perks for giving up part of their day to work, which in many cases has resulted in workers volunteering for the shifts.

At Macy's, employees have been responding positively to the retailer's decision to open for the first time on Thanksgiving Day, said Jim Sluzewski, senior vice president of corporate communications and external affairs.

Workers will be paid overtime for the entirety of any shift that begins on Thursday, which has resulted in more than 90 percent of the day's shifts being filled with regular staff.

"Virtually all our shifts and slots for that opening are being filled by volunteers," he said.

The retailer will tap into its network of 83,000 seasonal workers to fill the remaining time slots.

Wal-Mart, which announced Tuesday that it will open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, will once again compensate its more than 1 million Thanksgiving Day workers with holiday pay. This means that on top of their regular pay, the retailer will average an employee's hours from the previous two weeks, and give them an additional paycheck for those hours.

The discounter is also boosting last year's 20 percent employee discount to a 25 percent discount on an entire purchase, and will provide a traditional Thanksgiving meal during each of its three shifts.

Best Buy and Sears Holding's Kmart, which has been open on Thanksgiving Day for 22 years, will similarly offer their regular and seasonal associates holiday pay. Toys R Us employees, including 45,000 seasonal workers, will be paid time and a half, receive team meals throughout the day and be allowed to wear jeans and sneakers. Target employees will also receive time and a half, and those who work certain hours will receive an additional shift's pay.

Click on the link for the full article

What's astounding to me is how damaging the internet has been to the brick and mortar stores, namely mall occupants. It amazes me how many vacancies there are at our surrounding malls. It changes from month to month.

Used to love the malls during the holiday seasons because they spared no expense for decorating and it felt like Christmas. Now? Not so much. Good old Harundale Mall looked like the North Pole during this time of the year. It doesn't even exist anymore.

What is astounding to me is survival is equated to greed.

I'm no economist by any stretch, but this is simple competition.

And here's the thing...  you CAN stay home.

It's easy. Don't go out. Hang with the family all day.

It's entirely up to you. These employees..  it's part of the life. All of us have had or have jobs that make us work when we don't want to occasionally.. some careers always work..  ever drive home on Thanksgiving night or Christmas Eve and pass motels with trucks parked out front, or a truck stop with 30 big rigs parked for the night?
Why do we never complain on their behalf? They're hauling all the stuff the stores need for all that traditional shopping.

Hating people who DO shop..  who knows their reason? Maybe they work a crappy job and don't have a whole lot of money and can get their best deals on these days.

tis NOT the season for choosing up sides and casting eyes downward upon others. 

~Bang

>edit<  sorry for sounding like such a preachy **** today. Been a strange week for me.

Again, I've worked at a nursing home and I didn't like working on TG or Christmas, but it is what it is.

This.

I don't know how it is now, but when I was working at Giant grocery store), we got time and a half for Thanksgiving. Man, I worked 16 hours that day, and still got to chill with my folks afterward. My check was wonderful that week. I still got a picture of that joint lol.

Sure, I would love if everybody could be able to chill and sit home during the holidays, but some people are extremely happy that they get to work those jobs.

True, we do.

But we also know that is the nature of the business, and we know why.

If it boils down to simplicity, if you can't be there when most needed.. someone else who needs a job will be.

Why deny them the opportunity?

~Bang

It's always fun when zoony angrily shakes his fist at a cloud, but I've never particularly seen the big deal with Thanksgiving. Maybe it's because my family eats at 3 that day, but I've never experienced a Thanksgiving when I wasn't bored out of my skull by 6 PM. 

Generally speaking, I'm more concerned with Walmart's treatment of its employees 365 days a year, not just one.

Is it wrong to force stadium workers to sell peanuts and overpriced beer on Thanksgiving?

Because without the NFL games, Thanksgiving would be an unbearable holiday. An entire day spent talking to spinster aunts while waiting for a meal that one would never actually go out of their way to eat under normal circumstances.

Is it wrong to force stadium workers to sell peanuts and overpriced beer on Thanksgiving?

Because without the NFL games, Thanksgiving would be an unbearable holiday. An entire day spent talking to spinster aunts while waiting for a meal that one would never actually go out of their way to eat under normal circumstances.

No, but if you listen to the millionaire players, it's wrong of the NFL to force them to play on short rest.

:)

So, **** the NFL!

Thanksgiving would be an unbearable holiday.

Don't assume that everybody has a suck ass family. Thanksgiving is better than X-Mas because there is no material bull****. **** presents.

Turkey Day will always be my favorite holiday. Food, family, and I'm off. I wish everbody was. Some are essential, and some work to satiate the sickening unbridled consumerism that has eroded decency in this country.

lol again with honest competition labelled  'sickening unbridled consumerism'.

It's even funnier because you open by scolding everyone not to assume anything about other people.

They're assumptions are wrong, but yours is filled with righteous indignation so that makes yours..  uh..right?

LOL! The internet strikes again! Sickening, unbridled self righteous judgmental nitwits abound..

Everyone should be thankful that you can wag your finger and tell us how much we allllll suck from your own little point of view.

too bad we don't have the double  middle finger salute smiley anymore. You earned it..   or "assumed" it, to use a better word.

~Bang

My wife is a retail manager and the week of Thanksgiving trough Dec 26 is hell. Stores open at midnight nor stay open 24/7. Not many people shop after 10, but they stay open because the competition does.

I do not shop anything other than normal hours and never on Thanksgiving Xmas

Meh, frankly, I think I'm doing them a favor. I'm getting them extra hours (overtime even!) to work on a day they would normally be forced to take off, most likely at their own expense.

Getting paid minimum wage and having your hours cut early in the week so you can work on a national family holiday and work another 16 hours on friday sounds like something YOU should sign up for. 

Please, don't do me any favors.

Archived