Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***Official 2012/2013 Winter Weather Thread***

Skins24

Is it safe to assume the chances for any winter weather are dead until next year?

Probably. That Winter Storm Nemo would've been a helluva one, but NY and Boston got all of its punch. I think this was winter's last hurrah and it's good that the DC area got in on it.

ahahahaah that is pretty accurate. i can not count how many times in my life Fairfax County has canceled school because of a rumored snowstorm, and then it just rains that day.

To be fair, even at 11am and possibly later, forecasters were still saying that we'd get 8-12 inches in Germantown. We ended up with maybe 1-2 inches of snow on the grass, and none on the road.

To be fair, even at 11am and possibly later, forecasters were still saying that we'd get 8-12 inches in Germantown. We ended up with maybe 1-2 inches of snow on the grass, and none on the road.

Yea it was barely sticking to the grass in Arlington. Oh well, weather.com says a high of 57 on Saturday which will be nice for the tailgate

66 degrees here in Denver today. people are out and about in shorts and t-shirts.

Tomorrow night were supposed to get 14 inches of snow and a low of 18. Gonna be a 58 degree temperature drop over the course of the next 30 hours :ols:

66 degrees here in Denver today. people are out and about in shorts and t-shirts.

Tomorrow night were supposed to get 14 inches of snow and a low of 18. Gonna be a 58 degree temperature drop over the course of the next 30 hours :ols:

Do the schools ever get canceled there with 14 inches of snow? or is it just what denver is used to?

Do the schools ever get canceled there with 14 inches of snow? or is it just what denver is used to?

14 inches would definitely do it, but it usually takes 7-8 inches or more to shut things down. Dept of Transportation out here is built to handle a lot of snow. They don't even salt the roads out here, plow trucks dump magnesium chloride on the streets.

We got 6 inches of snow last week, right in the middle of the morning rush hour commute. Federal/local gov't offices and most school schools didn't even get a delay :ols:

14 inches would definitely do it, but it usually takes 7-8 inches or more to shut things down. Dept of Transportation out here is built to handle a lot of snow. They don't even salt the roads out here, plow trucks dump magnesium chloride on the streets.

We got 6 inches of snow last week, right in the middle of the morning rush hour commute. Federal/local gov't offices and most school schools didn't even get a delay :ols:

It's not just an issue of what they're used to - it's an issue of having the resources to clear the roads as well. I lived in Minnesota for one of their snowiest winters on record, and I think schools closed once (after the storm that collapsed the Metrodome roof).

And just to be clear - drivers in snowy states aren't really that much more skilled at bad weather driving than people here are. They just aren't as scared of it.

It's not just an issue of what they're used to - it's an issue of having the resources to clear the roads as well. I lived in Minnesota for one of their snowiest winters on record, and I think schools closed once (after the storm that collapsed the Metrodome roof).

And just to be clear - drivers in snowy states aren't really that much more skilled at bad weather driving than people here are. They just aren't as scared of it.

Yea, my roomie told me that places like Boston, NYC, etc. have a snow budget of like almost triple what we have around NoVA/DC area.

well heck, i wanna move to denver now! at least even if i have school during the day, i would be able to play in some measurable snow afterwards :)

I guess it'd be bad to say we are getting up to a foot of snow up here in Boston from this very system....

Wow, really? I didn't know they were expecting that much. We may be getting up to 6 here on Long Island tonight. It is white outside. The roads are just wet right now but the temps are very close to freezing. It will be sticking everywhere overnight.

Archived