Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gut check time for the Washington Redskins. Carolina is a MUST WIN game!!

Commander PK

lafell is doubtful, he had a concussion last week.

Even if they ran a one WR set and triple covered Smith, our defense would find a way to let him get open/behind coverage for an easy TD. Im convinced that the Panthers could come out with a goal line set and only send Smith out, tell us its a pass and only to Smith and still score a 80 yard TD against this horrible secondary. They probably would all fall down after running into each other or something ridiculous like that.

What? We played the G-men down to the wire last week and should have won but played today IN Pittsburgh, IN the rain against Big Ben who is 14-1 against NFC East QBs and our WR's dropped 10+ passes. We just had an off day. Happens. I think we'll be able to shut down the Panthers non-existent run game, make them one dimensional and expose Cam.

Yeah, I can see this being the game where people go, "Wow! We really do have a pass rush!"

Our defense is a choke artist..........I live here too and dont want to hear Panther fans talk ****, especially after going to the game last year and having to watch a dominant first half go to **** after Hightower tears his knee up, Moss has a chest contusion and leaves, and Fletcher getting knocked out of the game (back/hammy?). But, why should we think our horrible secondary can even contain Steve Smith or LeFell? Hall has documented EPIC FAIL trying to even stop Steve Smith from his Falcon days.

It's going to be a tough game. The only thing in our favor is RGIII and the fact that the Panthers defense isnt that great (15th against the pass, 20th against run) and Cam has been turning the ball over a lot. I think it comes down to the turnover battle and special teams. We win those, we win. But then there can always be that epic 3rd and 30 play our defense gives up for 30+ yards and a first down on what would be a game winning stop...........or a go ahead TD (like the one to the Giants).

Lafell is doubtful with a concussion so I don't think he plays. And the rest of Carolina's WR's are very subpar outside of Smith. I was at the game last year too and it sucked watching that 2nd half collapse. We gotta control the clock and dominate the run.

Didn't we have 2 weeks to prep for the Eagles when Vick when nuts on Monday night a few years ago?

Yeah, the difference is tho, McNabb AND Hayneworth were on the team, both laying down on the job (one figuratively, the other, both figuratively AND literally). While I do believe our defense has NOT improved since then, our offense is vastly different & will make a better showing for that game then when the Eagles drop nearly 60 on us. So, that said, this could be one of the highest scoring games in the League this year. Something like 56-48. That is, of course, if the WRs can actually catch & hold on to the ball.

this season isn't over. If we can win this game, eagles game is a toss up at home and we get Merriweather and Garcon back. Then we go to Dallas. We can go 3-0 in this stretch before playing the Giants on Monday Night

Today is November 3rd, this 3-5 team could easily be 6-5 by late evening on the 22nd. There isn't a single opponent left on the schedule that I believe the Redskins are incapable of beating. Will they win all those games? Very likely no of course. Could they win all of them? For the first time in a long time I feel they could, but they can't beat themselves, and they would have to largely play disciplined, mistake free football. Limit penalties, drops, and big plays given up and this team has a very good chance every week. The thing is, the Redskins have to stop the other team from scoring when they have to score. Even marginal defensive play and we have a chance to win every week.

this season isn't over. If we can win this game, eagles game is a toss up at home and we get Merriweather and Garcon back. Then we go to Dallas. We can go 3-0 in this stretch before playing the Giants on Monday Night

Before anyone jumps on this with both feet because of how awful we were last week, I do agree. I was looking over the schedule a couple minutes ago and I agree that we can be 6-5, well on our way to 8-8. I'm not scared of our division games anymore, and we have the Giants at home. I still say we split, but that's three more wins, and with the Panthers and Browns in there, yeah, we can do 8-8. I'm assuming, of course, that Meriweather and Garcon will make a difference.

Didn't we have 2 weeks to prep for the Eagles when Vick when nuts on Monday night a few years ago?

haha yea i was gonna say the same thing. plus, we had 2 weeks to prepare for the eagles last year before they beat us at FedEx Field. we gotta prepare as hard as we can this time around. funny how this is the 3rd straight season we've played them right after the bye week.

I hope we break out every blitz in our playbook for Cam. He's a little *****, he'll have a nervous breakdown by the third quarter.

And double cover Steve Smith, obviously.

But no, what I see happening is us rushing three all day long and treating their receivers as equals.

A heavy dosage of the running game, and a "bend don't break defense" is how we win this game. Although, I'm growing really tired of that phrase. What I'd like to say is a heavy dosage of Cam on his ass, and multiple three and outs is how we win this game...but that is not likely.

What we have to do, is eat the clock with the running game, and score touchdowns not field goals in the red zone. The Defense must keep them kicking field goals. Simple mathematics. Be better than them in the red zone, and don't give up big plays.

I just hope the Eagles don't start Nick Foles when we play them. Rookie QBs are Redskins kryptonite.

I'd take the Eagles starting Foles for the first time against us. A lot of the reason why rookie QBs have had success has less to do with the defense, and more to do with the offense. Previously, teams new that they had to only score ~20 points to almost guaranteeing a win against the 'Skins. Good coaches can scheme that up with a rookie QB. It means that they can run the ball, play conservatively, and not force things. This allows the rookie QB to generally limit mistakes. (There are exceptions to this rule, but it's generally true...)

Having RGIII and the offense clicking a little bit means that the opposing team has to force the ball more, they can't just come in thinking they can run the ball and score 17-20 points and win. They have to press the ball down the field. When rookies do that, they tend to make mistakes.

Even if they ran a one WR set and triple covered Smith, our defense would find a way to let him get open/behind coverage for an easy TD. Im convinced that the Panthers could come out with a goal line set and only send Smith out, tell us its a pass and only to Smith and still score a 80 yard TD against this horrible secondary. They probably would all fall down after running into each other or something ridiculous like that.

Best thing they could do to Steve Smith is have somebody knock him down on his way from the tunnel to the field. Otherwise, he's going to be open all day. ALL DAY. The thing with double coverage is that it depends on a CB with safety help. If the safety is slow as nuts and late getting over, then double coverage becomes single coverage, and it will be beaten.

Yeah, I can see this being the game where people go, "Wow! We really do have a pass rush!"

Really? I don't. I see this as a game when they really sit back and try and keep everything in front of them. Allow 3-5 yards, even in the run game, instead of 15-30 yards. I don't think this is going to be an aggressive D at all.

I posted the same thing in another thread. They SHOULD win this game and the Browns. The Eagles and Cowboys are a mess. They SHOULD at least split with both. They probably lose to the Giants, but they played them tough up in NY. I don't think they will beat the Ravens. But they can compete with them.

They laid a complete and total egg in Pittsburgh. They have to rebound. I think they can. If they can, and feel somewhat good going into their bye, they might just get a couple pieces back that will help them coming out of the bye.

I hope we break out every blitz in our playbook for Cam. He's a little *****, he'll have a nervous breakdown by the third quarter.

And double cover Steve Smith, obviously.

But no, what I see happening is us rushing three all day long and treating their receivers as equals.

I agree. I'm not sure that I would call for a lot of zero coverage blitzes. I think that has proven to ... not work effectively. Teams have seen it, they can diagnose it, and our CBs can't cover for the 2-3 seconds they need to in order for the blitz to get home.

No, what they should do is mix it up. Be creative. Use a lot of 4 and 5 man pressures, but do it out of different places. Don't ALWAYS rush the 3 DL and Kerrigan. Sometimes, drop Kerrigan, bring one of the other OL. Use some stunts. The reason that people love the 3-4 is that it's so flexible, and you can disguise rushers and confuse the oponents OL and protection schemes. But, the way we run, it, it doesn't confuse anybody.

A win this Sunday would be huge in terms of keeping them in the playoff picture for a couple more weeks. If we win tomorrow, we go into the bye and then have an onslaught of divisional games. At 4-5, if we string together a couple division wins (I think we can beat anyone in the division, though none of them will be easy), we can be sitting in a good spot going into the final part of the season. However, I'm not sure we'd be able to recover from 3-6 if we lose.

Really? I don't. I see this as a game when they really sit back and try and keep everything in front of them. Allow 3-5 yards, even in the run game, instead of 15-30 yards. I don't think this is going to be an aggressive D at all.

Well slap my bottom, roll me in butter & call me a biscuit! I don't agree.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2012 at 02:10 PM ----------

See I'm seeing the opposite where Cam does for the Panthers line against ourselves what Robert's done for our line all year.

Make them collectively look far better than they individually are.

Hail.

Yeah, but see what I'm thinking is that our pass rush will get inside more often forcing Cam outside the pocket more than we have seen from other QBs. Not that they'll actually get to him often, but that they will tend to force him to beat us downfield (which he more than likely will do).

As much of a cynical **** as this team has made me, here's one positive I've found going in: this game is a golden opportunity for our defense to start producing turnovers again, particularly if our offense gets hot early. If we can make Cam Newton throw from behind, he'll throw some errant ones. He's coming into this road game with shaky confidence. The absolute last thing we can do is allow Cam to get comfortable.

In sum: we're at home and the Panthers really aren't very good. BE AGGRESSIVE.

I want to see this team play every game left like it's a playoff game. For the rest of the season, win or lose, I want to see every guy on the team play like it's his last game and leave it all on the field.

This team needs a fire lit under it's ass. Top to bottom, from Mike Shanahan down to the practice squad guys.

HTTR

To be honest, this year is a wash. Im looking for us to do something next year. This year just let it play out the way it is and dont expect too much. The reason why is... WE HAVE NO DEFENSE!! The defense is soft. Every team in the NFL we play against is gonna be in every game against us because of that fact. So im not gonna even be disappointed if we lose tomorrow because its sad to say but I kinda expect it. Look at Drew Brees. A top 3 QB in the league but his team has no defense. RG3 is gonna change the game in the NFL and we are fortunate to have him. But im saying this here right now, WE WILL WIN A COUPLE OF SUPERBOWLS in the next ten years and we will own the NFC-EAST. Our defense is pretty much as low as it can get so theres no other way but for it to go up in the years to come. We gonna be alright in the long run.

I think on D we are going to be as passive as can be. I really don't want that, but am expecting the worst. I think Haslet is gun shy to do anything aggressive at this point. I think he would tell you that late against the Giants, he was being aggressive. Trying a stun finally yielded a sack, but it seems too risky for him to try again anytime soon. And then not going prevent and moving Madieu up coached or not.

We have RG3 now. We can win a shootout. The time is ripe to take risks on D since playing it straight yields no pressure and huge yards allowed totalls. We have an offense now, we can give up a score quick. If the recipe for teams to beat us is long slow drives to keep 3 off the field, be aggressive.

We generally do not get after young, inexperienced, inept or backup QB's. We try and give them enough chances to make a mistake. We have seen that for probably a decade now. Heck remember Warner St Louis had a broken left elbow? All the rookies we have faced? Its mind boggling, but its the norm, and I expect us to sit back again tomorrow. Playing afraid, this time of Cam.

Archived