Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Perfect Storm, Part II Thread

Sticksboi05

This is not a strong storm...it's only going to be between 60-80 mph winds. That's category 1. Why are you guys acting as if this is a Tsunami? It won't be worse than a hard rainstorm for you guys than those than come from over the mountains in WV. Yes some power will go out, trees may fall down and cause damage, but this is not a record breaking storm.

I'd dispute that. The snowstorm that hit after the Blizzard of 2010 caused 100'000s of power outages in the Mid-Atlantic. '96, '03, '09, '10 you name it, blizzards cause tons of power outages. Different reasons of course but I was simply referring to the fact that water bottles will be in as little supply as they are when we are under a blizzard warning expecting 2 feet of snow with 40-50 mph gusts.

I'm not saying blizzards don't cause power outages. I'm saying they cause less.

The storm that rolled through in early july knocked out a few hundred thousand in the Baltimore area alone. Many without power for a week.

This is not a strong storm...it's only going to be between 60-80 mph winds. That's category 1. Why are you guys acting as if this is a Tsunami? It won't be worse than a hard rainstorm for you guys than those than come from over the mountains in WV. Yes some power will go out, trees may fall down and cause damage, but this is not a record breaking storm.

Have you taken a look at the predicted low pressure mark? Below 965mb. The slower wind speeds will be over a MUCH wider area. Also it's supposed to stall and just dump rain. Don't let the cat designation fool you, wherever this hits it's gonna be nasty.

Have you taken a look at the predicted low pressure mark? Below 965mb. The slower wind speeds will be over a MUCH wider area. Also it's supposed to stall and just dump rain. Don't let the cat designation fool you, wherever this hits it's gonna be nasty.

I guess living in FL for a few years and hearing the horror stories from their storms over the last 20 years has hardened my skin. Even we got hit by a few hurricanes and tropical storms this year. You're right about the rain, that may do more damage than the wind. That has been the case here this year and last. The rain and flooding does more damage in a larger scale than some fallen trees.

I'm sure you know houses in the northern US/mid atlantic aren't built to withstand the storms like they are in FL.

I have a relative who lives on the water in MD. When Isabel came through, the storm surge pushed a wall of water 4ft over the bulkhead and into the lower level of the house.

And well, plenty of forcasters ARE claiming this could be a historic storm.

Um...someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but why is there such a giant rush on water? We usually keep a case of it on hand for making bottles for our infant, but in general, the tap water is safe in the DC suburbs. I know flushing the toilet can be an issue, but as far as drinking, is bottled water truly a necessity? Water still comes out of the tap without electric power, to the best of my knowledge.

I guess living in FL for a few years and hearing the horror stories from their storms over the last 20 years has hardened my skin. Even we got hit by a few hurricanes and tropical storms this year. You're right about the rain, that may do more damage than the wind. That has been the case here this year and last. The rain and flooding does more damage in a larger scale than some fallen trees.

a. What makes this historic is it's a tropical system phasing with another system (like the Perfect Storm).

b. The Northeast pours money into preparing for blizzards not tropical systems.

c. The trees up here are not elastic like palm trees, they tumble at the slightest ease.

But you are right, the storm power isn't unprecedented but the dynamics of how it is setting up haven't been seen in a long long time. The Perfect Storm caused $330 million damage in 2012 USD and it never made landfall. This will, so yes, it's a big deal.

Um...someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but why is there such a giant rush on water? We usually keep a case of it on hand for making bottles for our infant, but in general, the tap water is safe in the DC suburbs. I know flushing the toilet can be an issue, but as far as drinking, is bottled water truly a necessity? Water still comes out of the tap without electric power, to the best of my knowledge.

and if the power is taken out to the pumping station?

Don't sweat it, aren't you a huge survivor fan??? Get some rice, a flint and you already got the shelter. You should be a-ok!!

I'm trying to figure out whether to be nervous, or whether to expect this to be one of those "HUGE STORMS OF EPIC PROPORTION" things and then come this weekend it rains and blow wind hard for a couple hours and then it's over.

Because I remember there being a huge storm that was supposed to destroy Maryland around this time last year and nothing happened.

I hate that I hope the main part of the storm misses my area because that means it will hit somewhere else and cause harm to people. I just hope it all turns to snow and just becomes a minor inconvenience for us all.

Sorry. Im a pretty paranoid guy. Last storm we had I got drunk through it. And it turned out to be nothing.

I'm trying to figure out whether to be nervous, or whether to expect this to be one of those "HUGE STORMS OF EPIC PROPORTION" things and then come this weekend it rains and blow wind hard for a couple hours and then it's over.

Because I remember there being a huge storm that was supposed to destroy Maryland around this time last year and nothing happened.

Remember the Maryland Earthquake last year?

tumblr_lqers5WDrk1qk46rho1_500.jpg

Not happy about this. I'm a physician and am on call for all of next week. I am expecting that I'll end up sleeping in the hospital rather than go back and forth to home if there is flooding/transportation difficulties. It's going to be a long week...

Not happy about this. I'm a physician and am on call for all of next week. I am expecting that I'll end up sleeping in the hospital rather than go back and forth to home if there is flooding/transportation difficulties. It's going to be a long week...

I'm in the same position. Not a physician, but i work for the government in an emergency designated, tier 1 position. So I may be sleeping at work a few night this week if it's bad enough. **** me!

Archived