Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Perfect Storm, Part II Thread

Sticksboi05

I live in central jersey. Still no power at my apt, my parents house, and most people I know. About 1.3 million customers still without power in the state and many could very well still not have power for another week+, especially if the nor'easter keeps tracking towards NJ for the middle of next week. Been crazy in the state, some people who still aren't permitted back in their towns to check on their homes, traffic lights still out though less each day, gas lines are beyond absurd, Christie just implemented an odds/evens license plate gas rationing system for half the state.

Got a buddy who just bought his house 2 months ago and lost most of his stuff from flooding (does have flood insurance though and did end up with a random boat in his back yard so there's that! Haha). Got another friend from my hometown who it sounds like they'll have to rebuild, looking for somewhere to live for now so their kids can stay at the same school. And there are places and people much worse off throughout the state. A shore town 20 minutes from me - Mantoloking, got absolutely destroyed. Might be a permanent new inlet where a highway and residences used to be. At one point a few rows of homes were burning while other parts of the town were flooded and nothing could be done to stop either, the houses just burned down completely over time. LBI, seaside, Hoboken, belmar, etc tons of towns with absurd damage. The landscape of the jersey shore has changed permanently (and most of it isn't the jersey shore you see on MTV, it's the cultural and historical towns and places, the shore with its music scene that produced Springsteen and others).

I'm fortunate, I've only had to deal with lost power and my parents house dodged the flooding. I also have a couple friends with power so haven't had to keep sleeping in an apt in the 40s and 50s the past few nights. Just wanted to share some insight for those out of the area.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/05/us-storm-sandy-housing-idUSBRE8A41LL20121105

Government may pick up hotel tab for 34,000 Sandy victims

The government said on Monday it had ordered the suspension of some housing foreclosures in areas hit by megastorm Sandy and would help find hotels and motels to temporarily house some 34,000 people displaced by the storm.

"We don't want families to be victimized twice - once by the storm and once by a foreclosure," Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan told reporters on a conference call.

Donovan said he directed all Federal Housing Administration lenders to impose a moratorium on any foreclosures for 90 days in disaster-affected areas. The FHA backs about a third of all new mortgages in the United States.

I can't wait until the subways are back to normal. Most of Manhattan got power back, Long Island and Staton Island and the beaches of NYC are still really bad. Some co workers out in LI I still don't think they have power yet.

Talked to a friend of mine on SI today and she said it's terrifying still.

I've also had friends had their houses looted by people taking boats into LBI.

Talked to a friend of mine on SI today and she said it's terrifying still.

I've also had friends had their houses looted by people taking boats into LBI.

That's the ****y part of a disaster. People preying on others who have already lost everything. You have to be the lowest type of scum to go around looting a disaster area.

They are rationing gas now here, you can only get some if the last number of you car is even or odd on even or odd days. Looks like all the train lines are finally up and running since yesterday, but some stops are still not in service.

So, after seeing the FEMA response to Sandy in the Northeast, can we dismiss the crazy talk of the FEMA response to Katrina as racist? The pathetic response was pure government inefficiency, and the lessons learned were supposed to correct those. Well, a hurricane hit a predominantly white area and the response has been similar.

Archived