Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Holmgren Out, Banner in--Effective immediately for Browns

Conn

New Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, whose takeover of the team was officially approved Tuesday, will name Joe Banner the team's CEO/president and current president Mike Holmgren will depart the organization within 24 hours, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

Haslem has a news conference scheduled for noon and will announce the Banner move, the sources said. It is unknown if Holmgren's status will be addressed at the news conference.

Haslem will close his deal to buy the Browns with Randy Lerner on Oct. 25 but these changes will take place before then.

Holmgren, the former head coach of the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, joined the Browns on Jan. 5, 2010. The 64-year-old Holmgren officially had the title of team president. He was instrumental in the hiring of current Browns head coach Pat Shurmur.

Haslam bought the team from Lerner for $1 billion, and the owners voted 32-0 Tuesday to approve the deal. Haslam, who built his fortune with Pilot Flying J truck stops, has been a minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but divested that stock to buy the Browns.

Haslam and Lerner agreed to the sale in August just as training camp was opening. Haslam has said his mission is to bring winning football back to Cleveland; the Browns have made the playoffs once since returning to the NFL in 1999.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8511711/mike-holmgren-cleveland-browns-sale-official-sources-say

Schefter:

October 16, 2012Browns president Mike Holmgren will retire at the end of this season and former Eagles president Joe Banner is being named the Browns new CEO effective immediately, according to league sources. New Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is expected to make the announcement today

http://www.whosay.com/AdamSchefter/content/418393?wsref=tw&code=zOF4nSm

It honestly felt like Holmgren was there for like 5 minutes...

Anyways, he will be remembered for the mishandling of the RGIII situation, though the Browns look like they will be alright. I guess this means a coaching change is coming as well? If so, things could get interesting. I wonder what this means for Holmgren, in terms of his next move.

Makes you wonder if that's where Reid will end up next year....although I think the dude needs to take some time off. Besides the fact that he's a ****ty coach, he needs to be with his family for a while once he's fired.

With the #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select Matt Barkley, QB, University of Southern California.

What a stupid set of decisions the Browns have made.

Could have had Griffin OR Tannehill...OR Wilson, frankly.

I still think the T. Richardson pick was stupid in this era. He's a talented guy but there are running backs every year who can put stuff together. By the time the team is GOOD, T Richardson will be on the far edge of his prime.

I still think the T. Richardson pick was stupid in this era. He's a talented guy but there are running backs every year who can put stuff together, by the time the team is GOOD, T Richardson will be on the far edge of his prime.

Not to mention Richardson is getting totally outperformed by some 6th rounder named Alfred. :ols:;)

With the #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select Matt Barkley, QB, University of Southern California.

just for the record...

I have watched a lot of Barkley tape, I think he will fail miserably in the NFL. He is the older school type of QB you will need to sit for 3 years for him to have a chance, which obviously won't happen, so he will fail badly.

He does not have the speed, size and athletiscism of the Netwon, Luck and RGIII's of the world. He's more like Kevin Kolb than he is those guys.. and it takes those types years to develop

He wont be a Jarmcus Russel fail, he will be a Heath Schuler fail.

That's how you know it's all about the money. He divested his share of the Pittsburgh Steelers to own the Browns. Obviously he wasn't a true Steelers Fan, and can't have hated the Browns that much as a part owner of the Steelers.

It honestly felt like Holmgren was there for like 5 minutes...

Anyways, he will be remembered for the mishandling of the RGIII situation, though the Browns look like they will be alright. I guess this means a coaching change is coming as well? If so, things could get interesting. I wonder what this means for Holmgren, in terms of his next move.

Andy Reid to the Browns when he gets fired.

129100407890711482.jpg

Oh wait, yeah I did. Not this soon, but when you're 1-5 after going out and spending a bunch of picks on players in the process of trying to rebuild a team and those players don't perform, well, you're gonna get tossed sooner or later.

Seriously, they should have stuck with Colt McCoy and drafted Julio Jones. Then this year they could have not panicked and taken Trent Richardson.

With the #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select Brett Favre, QB, Wrangler University.

Fixed it.

That's how you know it's all about the money. He divested his share of the Pittsburgh Steelers to own the Browns. Obviously he wasn't a true Steelers Fan, and can't have hated the Browns that much as a part owner of the Steelers.

Did you think that Khan was a lifelong Jaguars fan?

It usually is about money. It's rare to have a situation like we have with Snyder...and that's about the money as well as his very real fandom.

What a stupid set of decisions the Browns have made.

Could have had Griffin OR Tannehill...OR Wilson, frankly.

I still think the T. Richardson pick was stupid in this era. He's a talented guy but there are running backs every year who can put stuff together. By the time the team is GOOD, T Richardson will be on the far edge of his prime.

Compounded by the fact they traded for him

I said this same thing when it happened. Dumb

Archived