Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins - Cowboys Game Flexed to 8:20 PM (Official Thread) (Merged x3)

kleese

Not necessarily. If the 'Girls game against New Orleans in Week 16 gets flexed, I believe that maxes them out on prime time appearances and we're looking at a 1625 kickoff.

Doubt that one will be flexed if we're still in the race.

Conference game or division rivalry game with the playoffs on the line, with the two most valuable franchises in the NFL going at it, with the brightest up and coming star in the NFL playing for a playoff spot in his rookie year?

Yep, no changes.... A little surprising, but not shocking. If Det loses to Indy this week, that Lions-Packers game is a total dud.

Also announced no changes to week 15; so our game in Cleveland stays at 1:00, which was pretty predictable.

Only chance we get flexed now is week 17... And that won't be clear until Christmas.

Yep, no changes.... A little surprising, but not shocking. If Det loses to Indy this week, that Lions-Packers game is a total dud.

Also announced no changes to week 15; so our game in Cleveland stays at 1:00, which was pretty predictable.

Only chance we get flexed now is week 17... And that won't be clear until Christmas.

I'm with you that it could have gone either way. If the Packers record was not as strong or the game at Ford Field, then it stood a better chance of being flexed out. And no chance either game gets moved to 1605 based on games already in place (Mia-SF in Week 14 which will sell out; three Fox games in Week 15).

And Week 15 was pretty much a lock to stay with San Francisco 8-2-1 and New England 8-3 at this point. The only thing that might have happened was CBS getting one of Fox's games so they weren't overextended (eight games in a singleheader weekend).

I was hoping our game against the Ravens would be flexed. However, I fully expect our home finale to move to, at minimum, a 1625 kickoff.

my 0.02

I'm with you that it could have gone either way. If the Packers record was not as strong or the game at Ford Field, then it stood a better chance of being flexed out. And no chance either game gets moved to 1605 based on games already in place (Mia-SF in Week 14 which will sell out; three Fox games in Week 15).

And Week 15 was pretty much a lock to stay with San Francisco 8-2-1 and New England 8-3 at this point. The only thing that might have happened was CBS getting one of Fox's games so they weren't overextended (eight games in a singleheader weekend).

I was hoping our game against the Ravens would be flexed. However, I fully expect our home finale to move to, at minimum, a 1625 kickoff.

my 0.02

To be honest I'm very happy the game against the Ravens did not get flexed. The reason is obnoxious Ravens fans.

They have quickly become one of the most bandwagon laden and ignorant fanbases in the NFL. They think the NFL didn't exist before 1997 and think their one Super Bowl win over a terrible Giants team puts them on par with history of the 49ers and Steelers. They hype up a "rivalry" with the Redskins when they have played us a whopping four times during the darkest period in Redskins history. I will never forget walking to the FedEx for the night game in '04 and getting heckled by busloads of Ravens fans because I was wearing a Darrell Green jersey (real classy to heckle perhaps the classiest player in NFL history while you worship a murderer as the face of the Ravens).

I know there are a bunch of bus trips from Baltimore coming to the game already. Had the kickoff been pushed back, I doubt the bus departure times would have changed, leading to a ton of Ravens fans showing up an 8:30pm kickoff having been drinking since 8:30am in the morning. Not to mention more Skins STH sell their tickets for night kickoffs because of family and work obligations; I have the feeling most of the tickets would end up in the hands of mulleted idiots from Glen Burnie wearing purple wifebeaters.

No doubt the Skins/Giants result will have a huge effect of Skins fan turnout too. I think a pretty big number of STHs will sell their Ravens tickets if we drop to 5-7. The demand for the Ravens tickets is high due to the regional interest and the Ravens' success this season and it's tough for STHs to turn down a tidy profit if the Skins' playoff chances are hanging by a thread.

While I have no doubt there will be a ton of purple in the stands, here's to hoping it's kept to a minimum and that the Skins keep them quiet like they did by beating the Eagles soundly.

Well, it doesn't surprise me that NBC stayed with Det/GB. Like I said, Lambeau field has a bigger pull then the opponent. If GB was playing Arizona, maybe, but Detroit is a division rival. Redskins/Ravens is not a big enough rivalry to trump Lambeau field. Anyway, I'm glad we play at 1. I prefer 1 PM games to any other time.

You know what is going to suck? Next year when RG3 will be featured on like 5 or 6 Primetime games. Night games suck - too late for old dudes like me... I get so geared up that its hard to get to sleep (win or lose).

We will be all over primetime next year, no doubt. Not sure we'll get the max amount, but my guess is at least two SNF, at least one MNF, and like the rest of the league, we will get a Thursday as well. In addition, we will likely be featured in the last afternoon spot on several occasions.

---------- Post added December-4th-2012 at 11:20 AM ----------

redskins cowboys at the end of the season will be on SNF book it

Too many variables.... That game is a lock if it means the division is on the line, but everything would need to fall into place for that to happen. NFL doesn't have to make that decision until Monday after week 16 (usually require two weeks notice) and they will take the game that matters the most regardless. If there are several games with equal meaning, and our game is one of them, then yes, I think you can book it.

NFL blew it not flexing our game.... Lions- Packers is a dud while Redskins-Ravens might be the best game on the table this Sunday. Yes, it's all about ratings and our game would have gotten better ratings.

With the Lions at 4-8, now it's looking like a dud, unless the Lions want to play spoiler to a division rival. I guess the reason they kept it was because the Packers have been a SB contending team and the game is at Lambeau. If the game was at Ford Field, it would have been flexed. The mystique of Lambeau plays a huge role.

You know what is going to suck? Next year when RG3 will be featured on like 5 or 6 Primetime games. Night games suck - too late for old dudes like me... I get so geared up that its hard to get to sleep (win or lose).

When we lose a primetime game, I can't get to sleep because I keep playing it over and over in my head and trying to figure out a way we could have won. When we win, I watch all the postgame stuff. I was up until 12:30 last night. I have the alarm set for my wife at 5 AM. She has to be at work at 6:30. I don't have to go in until 8, so I can roll over for another hour after she gets up.

As expected, our game with Philly stays in the early FOX slot week 16... Giants-Ravens moves to 4:25 to be the main late game that day.

49ers-Seahawks moves to SNF and as expected, Chargers-Jets goes to an early CBS start.

As for week 17, all I will say is this:

If every game on the board has equal meaning, Cobwoys-Redskins will be the choice. After week 16, the NFL will select the game that has the most meaning for week 17 SNF. If the East is on the line, you can book it. Where I'm not sure is what they will do if our game is dependent on other outcomes.

Depending on how things go, it's very possible if not likely.

What I am unsure of is how early they need to announce that a game has been flexed.

In the last week of the season, they can wait until 6 days before the game to flex it to primetime, and Fox/CBS can't protect any of their games like they can in weeks 11-16.

I'm not too versed on flex time rules but if the Dallas game is a tie breaker could it be moved to 8:00 P.M. To be a nationally broadcasted game?

A couple of factors ... teams max out at five prime time appearances unless you have a game on NFL Network which then allows a sixth (but only for three teams, I believe). Dallas did not play on NFL-N this year so, with four scheduled appearances, they had one left.

There was some speculation that their home game against New Orleans might have been the Week 16 replacement game for Chargers-Jets (which was certainly getting flexed out). Much of that depended on other games and, as we see, NBC went with the NFC West matchup, 49ers-Seahawks, as that lead may shrink by another game after next weekend (Seattle at Buffalo, San Fran at New England).

With that, the door remains open for our finale to go to prime time. And if it's for the division or a "win and in, lose and out" situation for Dallas, you can bet that we will be moved to prime time. The networks love Dallas enough to not flex out what look like potential dogs ... (there was so much discussion of our Week 16 game in 2009 *not* getting moved out because we were 4-8 at decision time and not going anywhere) At minimum, I would expect our game to move to late afternoon (if one of us is out) to coincide with Eagles-Giants for the division.

I see it being three teams for the division on the final night. We have two very winnable road games (but not to be taken lightly or as "gimmes"); Dallas has two at home which are both winnable for them; and the Giants have two tough games on the road, of which they should lose at least one. It is very likely the East will have a three-way tie at 9-6 ... (we'd still have only one division loss)

That said, bank on us playing at night. Even if the Giants win earlier in the day, whoever wins our game has the tiebreaker over New York so it would be for the division regardless of what they do with the loser likely not making the playoffs.

my few cents

---------- Post added December-10th-2012 at 06:46 PM ----------

FYI - there is no Sunday Night Football the last week of the season. If flexed, it would be the late FOX game. SNF is not an option.

Actually, there is no Monday night game on the final week.

Archived