Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins - Cowboys Game Flexed to 8:20 PM (Official Thread) (Merged x3)

kleese

I actually think there's a good chance we clinch the division before week 17. If we win at the Browns and at Philly, I can see the Giants and Cowboys losing both of their games in the next two weeks (NYG = @ATL, @BAL DAL = PIT, NO) If that happens the last game against the Cowboys becomes irrelevant for playoff purposes.

I actually think there's a good chance we clinch the division before week 17. If we win at the Browns and at Philly, I can see the Giants and Cowboys losing both of their games in the next two weeks (NYG = @ATL, @BAL DAL = PIT, NO) If that happens the last game against the Cowboys becomes irrelevant for playoff purposes.

Wishful thinking, but certainly possible. If we win out, we're in.

Dug this up from the 2010 season ...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-12-26/sports/sfl-nfl-week17-flex-times122610_1_flex-scheduling-rams-move

...and this from the 2011 season ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/23/week-17-flex-decision-will-come-by-monday-night/

If I understand this correctly, the league purposely leaves Sunday night open for flex, meaning there is always a Sunday night game in Week 17, although there is usually not one scheduled until after Week 16.

If I understand this correctly, the league purposely leaves Sunday night open for flex, meaning there is always a Sunday night game in Week 17, although there is never one scheduled until after Week 16.

This.

The only channel that doesn't show a game in week 17 is ESPN.

Also, both FOX and CBS has a doubleheader in week 17.

At the very least, I see the Redskins/Cowboys game getting a 4pm start on Fox.

The league leaves the Week 17 Sunday night open so a game with playoff implications can be flexed into that spot. There is no Monday Night Football game for Week 17 so that the SNF game is the very last regular season game. The league must announce the flex no later than the Tuesday prior (this year it's Dec. 25th), though they may announce it during Week 16's SNF game if the scenario is clear then. For other weeks they must announce the flex no less than 12 days prior.

If I understand this correctly, the league purposely leaves Sunday night open for flex, meaning there is always a Sunday night game in Week 17, although there is usually not one scheduled until after Week 16.

Flex scheduling has evolved since its inception in 2006. That first year, there was no Sunday night game listed although there was a projected lineup; our game in Tampa was one of them (and thereby "flexed out" because of the rough season we had then). The following year, they listed games (including Week 17) and flexed out as needed (we got flexed in Minnesota). With how the final weekend played out (Saturday night game Pats-Giants) came to pass, more changes were made starting in 2008 that included not listing a game in Week 17. (I think not allowing to protect any game in Week 17 was already in place.)

Not having a Monday night game on the final weekend can be traced back to the 2002 season. The 49ers played what was a meaningless game in St. Louis as they were in the playoffs and hosting a wild card game. Their opponents were the Giants and, because they had played on Monday, was scheduled for Sunday to give them six days rest. ABC wanted have taken that game for Saturday but that would have had the 49ers on five days rest and not fair to them. Starting in 2003, they did away with the final week's Monday night game to allow more flexibility for playoff scheduling; to ensure the contracted number of games for ABC was met, they added the Thursday night kickoff game (Jets-Redskins) which evolved into it being a home game for the defending champions.

Back to our game ... I believe we will be playing later in the day. Since flex scheduling started, we've had three afternoon home finales moved from early ... 2007: Dallas from 1300 to 1615; 2008: Philly from 1300 to 1615; 2010: New York (Giants) from 1300 to 1615. This year, it's Dallas Week; it's not staying at 1300 unless both teams are out of the playoff picture.

Back to our game ... I believe we will be playing later in the day. Since flex scheduling started, we've had three afternoon home finales moved from early ... 2007: Dallas from 1300 to 1615; 2008: Philly from 1300 to 1615; 2010: New York (Giants) from 1300 to 1615. This year, it's Dallas Week; it's not staying at 1300 unless both teams are out of the playoff picture.

Yes.

And the league would have to be stupid not to make ours the night game. After all, in

2008 ... we sucked

2010 ... we sucked

2012 ... Redskins vs Cowboys, RGIII vs Romo sits to pee, Snyder vs Jones...

...the greatest rivalry in the history of all sports should have center stage

Are some of you really comparing Strasburg's situation to a football player with a mild sprained knee? Lollerz.

They were probably listening to LaVar and Dukes on their way home from work today, I heard it on their show from someone (I forget which reporter it was).

Dug this up from the 2010 season ...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-12-26/sports/sfl-nfl-week17-flex-times122610_1_flex-scheduling-rams-move

...and this from the 2011 season ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/23/week-17-flex-decision-will-come-by-monday-night/

Good information. Unless something drastically changes, I'd think we'd be the 4:00 game at a minimum, and maybe even Sunday Night Football. I love this, but I know most people prefer a 1:00 start.

Good information. Unless something drastically changes, I'd think we'd be the 4:00 game at a minimum, and maybe even Sunday Night Football. I love this, but I know most people prefer a 1:00 start.

The only way we stay at 1:00 is if both the Redskins and Cowboys are eliminated prior to week 17.... At this point, that seems unlikely.

I actually prefer the later starts; means I don't have to get up so early for the pre-tailgating tailgate. LOL [ If the league did single market scheduling with us and Baltimore and we got a few 1605 games as a result, no issues for me. ]

The only way we stay at 1:00 is if both the Redskins and Cowboys are eliminated prior to week 17.... At this point, that seems unlikely.

Agreed. Everything is pointing to a three-team showdown for the division on Week 17. We need to take care of our business first which are the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

cheers

Actually there is no Monday night game. There hasn't been a Monday night game in week 17 in quite a while now.

This is correct. They got rid of the MNF game in week 17 to get the most options for scheduling the first round of the playoffs (since you couldn't have one of the MNF teams play on Saturday of the playoffs).

There *WILL* be a SNF game in week 17. They don't schedule anything ahead of time because they intend to flex a game into place.

Well, this flex thing won't matter much in the future. I fully expect the marquee Redskins games in the future to be national broadcasts. The networks will want as much as RG3 as possible.

I fully expect at least 3 SNF matchups and probably a couple of MNF matchups next season. The Skins will be in primetime the maximum amount of times that is allowed.

As a STH I prefer the 1pm games....lol

I live near Frostburg, Md though, so gameday for me is a 12-13 hr adventure...leave house at 7am, get 2 fedex at 930, get back home at 8-9pm.

For the Monday night game I took off work Monday and Tuesday and stayed in a hotel down there...lol We had planned it that way though to do some Christmas shopping.

I don't think I could make a Sunday night game without missing work, but if that's the price of having a winning franchise I'll take it!!

Archived