Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Kyle still be calling our plays on offense?

terrifNick21

For a decade the Skins have averaged 18 points a game. In just the third year of this tenure we are averaging 26 a game with a Rookie phenom who we have been clambering for for years. Trouble now is the D is averaging 28 points against. Last I checked Kyle doesn't have much to do with this defense. What he does have his hand in is putting RG in positions to succeed. RG succeeding at being the Skins QB beyond a shadow of a doubt is something we can ALL agree upon. As a matter of fact I in 20 + years of watching NFL Football have not been more impressed or excited about a player ever. This in large part has quite a bit to do with Mike And Kyle Shanahan coaching and putting RG in situations to look like the next coming. Just my .02

This was a very poor offensive game plan against Pitt today, 2 of their top starting secondary players out and we are throwing for 3 yards on 3rd and 11. Yes every receiver had butter fingers, but you dont survive against defenses like the steelers planning to play around the D line and LB core. Poor RG3 threw perfect passes today and did his part for sure.

I don't see it as having much to do with the game plan and most all to do with the butter fingers you mentioned. You say that RGIII threw perfect passes and they must have been to someone that was open as a result of the "game plan". When you drop balls that would be first downs it hurts.

I don't see it as having much to do with the game plan and most all to do with the butter fingers you mentioned. You say that RGIII threw perfect passes and they must have been to someone that was open as a result of the "game plan". When you drop balls that would be first downs it hurts.

Yep.

The pass to Robinson should have been a TD or a PI call. The play that Griffin missed a wide open Paulsen could have gained 30 or 40 yards and put us in position to score again. The offense struggled with execution but I thought we "looked" OK all game. There were only a handful of plays where we didn't have a shot to execute.

and I really think he gets too clever for his own good at times - resulting in more awful calls. what was it when we sent RG3 down field' date=' 3rd & 4 ? outrageous.[/quote']

Tried to catch them off-guard, backfired... RG3 took a hard hit, too.

---------- Post added October-28th-2012 at 08:50 PM ----------

Kyle

Desperation.

---------- Post added October-28th-2012 at 05:07 PM ----------

Nobody else was catching the ball, right?

Good point :)

No! Kyle needs to change his play calling and go deep more often. The dink and dunk doesn't work. Reminds me of Jim Zorn II!!

It's unfortunate, that other than RGIII and Albert Morris, we simply don't have any speed, talented and physical playmakers at TE or WR. Our WRs are a joke.

No! Kyle needs to change his play calling and go deep more often. The dink and dunk doesn't work. Reminds me of Jim Zorn II!!

It's unfortunate, that other than RGIII and Albert Morris, we simply don't have any speed, talented and physical playmakers at TE or WR. Our WRs are a joke.

This is our best group of WRs in a very long time. We have more guys consistently contributing at that position than I can remember in a very long time.

The only playcalls I really disagreed with vehemently today were the flea flicker to RG3 where he almost got killed by Clark and that screen garbage to Paulsen late. Everything else was more or less fine. I didn't love the QB draw on 3rd and goal before the Moss TD, was WAY too obvious(called it as soon as I saw empty backfield so I'm sure the Steelers knew too), but a little better execution and we would have scored.

Playcalling is a silly thing thing to judge in hindsight because in hindsight you could just point to every play that doesn't work and say "well that call stunk!" Nevermind the plays that did work, you never hear Kyle getting praise for them.

Yes. Kyle has a finally has a good qb, again and has the offense looking good. The O is one of the top scoring and rushing attacks in the leauge. One bad game against an innovative DC, in Dick LeBeau doesn't negate how well the O has done thus far.

Kyle didn't look so hot as OC the past two years but what did he have to execute his O? McNabb then Grossman/Beck? Wow pardon me if I don't get their busts ready in Canton. This is an example of a growing pain (sadly more so for the veteran recievers than our qb). Losses like these are going to happen some time. Heck it happen to the Texans who have a prolific Offense and a devastating Defense. I repeat this isn't something to base the teams long term future on.

I am furious that there hasn't been any urgency in forever. When we are down 15, why we are not running no-huddle?

You do not have to be in the no huddle to score quickly . The main element (theme) so to speak in this offense is missdirection and subtifuge subbing in different sub packages and keeping the defense unsure of what is comming .

You can pairall tat down to run a very simple offense which we are capable of running but look at the end of the first half - we went into a kind of no huddle look and 3 incomplete passes later gave the ball right back having taken 13 seconds off the clock .

I was actually impressed with the play with the QB out as the receiver had it worked ... and it would have worked well had the defense remained in man- but they showed man and then dropped into zone meaning when Griffin had to wait for the ball from Morgan the defender was able to close quickly - but had it been a slightly better throw that lead Griffin he was behind the defender and there was no way Clark was going to catch him in a foot race .

It would have also sent a message to defensive co-ordinators that they have to account for Griffin even after the hand off . Griffin has done a good job of learning to put his hands up to show he no longer has the ball when he comes out of the hand off which stops defenders in their tracks and they go off to seek out the ball carrier . But there is nothing to stop him sloping off down field to become an eligable reciever again .

I like what the Shanahans are doing - and other than the occasional call (or any call that doesn't work) then I have been impressed . I mean they must be doing something right or would we be a top 5 offense ?

You do not have to be in the no huddle to score quickly . The main element (theme) so to speak in this offense is missdirection and subtifuge subbing in different sub packages and keeping the defense unsure of what is comming .

You can pairall tat down to run a very simple offense which we are capable of running but look at the end of the first half - we went into a kind of no huddle look and 3 incomplete passes later gave the ball right back having taken 13 seconds off the clock .

I was actually impressed with the play with the QB out as the receiver had it worked ... and it would have worked well had the defense remained in man- but they showed man and then dropped into zone meaning when Griffin had to wait for the ball from Morgan the defender was able to close quickly - but had it been a slightly better throw that lead Griffin he was behind the defender and there was no way Clark was going to catch him in a foot race .

It would have also sent a message to defensive co-ordinators that they have to account for Griffin even after the hand off . Griffin has done a good job of learning to put his hands up to show he no longer has the ball when he comes out of the hand off which stops defenders in their tracks and they go off to seek out the ball carrier . But there is nothing to stop him sloping off down field to become an eligable reciever again .

I like what the Shanahans are doing - and other than the occasional call (or any call that doesn't work) then I have been impressed . I mean they must be doing something right or would we be a top 5 offense ?

Clearly misdirection doesn't work when this team is trailing. The steelers weren't biting and kept gap control and didn't bite. The offense got the ball at 8:45 and they were in the huddle and hiking the ball under 5 secs in the playclock. Are you serious? they basically banked on the fact that they were only going to get 1 more possession. by the time they failed that 4th down, it was 3:45 left on the clock. You are basically counting on a 3 and out lol or an onside kick. If we managed to score by 5 or 6 mins, we could have added another possession but MS doesnt think like that.

Two plays that he calls week in and week out are really beginning to make me explode:

1) 3rd and less than 2 yards- Stretch play. REALLY? You have a rookie RB that has "zero" speed to get around the edge with teams having 8 in the box and you try to run east/west? He calls this play every godamn time. Morris is a better runner between the tackles. Put a FB in front of him, leading up in the hole, where he can shrug off first contact like he always does.

2) QB draw. This was a good play at the beginning of the season. Now everyone knows it's coming. Fake the QB draw and let the kid throw (gee, you know, like he did when he hit Santana for the TD?). Let the kid throw. He can throw. He has a hellava arm. Let him throw dammit.

Fake the QB draw and let the kid throw (gee, you know, like he did when he hit Santana for the TD?). Let the kid throw. He can throw. He has a hellava arm. Let him throw dammit.

So you're saying we should let him throw? :ols:

Nah, I agree though. I knew the Steelers' scheme would give RGIII a tough time today. That QB draw was very close. Tough pill to swallow (as were the blatant holding and PI non-calls). He was still making great throws, including the 4th and 17 to Moss.

Maybe they should call San Diego to get them to overnight some of that sticky substance...

Two plays that he calls week in and week out are really beginning to make me explode:

1) 3rd and less than 2 yards- Stretch play. REALLY? You have a rookie RB that has "zero" speed to get around the edge with teams having 8 in the box and you try to run east/west? He calls this play every godamn time. Morris is a better runner between the tackles. Put a FB in front of him, leading up in the hole, where he can shrug off first contact like he always does.

2) QB draw. This was a good play at the beginning of the season. Now everyone knows it's coming. Fake the QB draw and let the kid throw (gee, you know, like he did when he hit Santana for the TD?). Let the kid throw. He can throw. He has a hellava arm. Let him throw dammit.

that stretch to the left sets the pa boot to the right (griffin's strong side)

those stretches were part of the reason the PA was so effective yesterday, he had alot of green to throw from yesterday, and his passes were mostly on target (hitting guys in the hands should be a catch)

I have no problems with the stretch, as it sets up so many things.. and normally AM is good for getting a yard or two on them.

So you're saying we should let him throw? :ols:

Nah, I agree though. I knew the Steelers' scheme would give RGIII a tough time today. That QB draw was very close. Tough pill to swallow (as were the blatant holding and PI non-calls). He was still making great throws, including the 4th and 17 to Moss.

Maybe they should call San Diego to get them to overnight some of that sticky substance...

I was over the Giants loss easier last week than this week. We played well against NY, but we looked like hot garbage yesterday. It stung more HOW we lost then actually losing. So, I'm really trying to bite my tongue with my posts today. I'd really love to have a thread in some obscure place where we could turn the profanity filters off and just be able to go off with a diatribe of cursing. I am really trying to hold it together today.

---------- Post added October-29th-2012 at 09:38 AM ----------

that stretch to the left sets the pa boot to the right (griffin's strong side)

those stretches were part of the reason the PA was so effective yesterday, he had alot of green to throw from yesterday, and his passes were mostly on target (hitting guys in the hands should be a catch)

I have no problems with the stretch, as it sets up so many things.. and normally AM is good for getting a yard or two on them.

Stretch is good on 1st and 2nd downs. The problem with him calling it is on 3rd and short. Almo is not a speed back that can turn the corner. If you want to run the stretch on 3rd and short, you would have to have someone like Helu carrying the ball. I do have a problem with "when" he calls it. It doesn't work. It hasn't worked ALL year. I see it every damn game and every damn game it fails on 3rd down.

I am furious that there hasn't been any urgency in forever. When we are down 15, why we are not running no-huddle?

I was watching the clock and time was not a factor. The Redskins had enough time for the two possessions they needed but just dropped the ball.

What killed me was in the first half, when your offense is clicking, you call a silly trick play on a third and four. That was my only complaint about Kyle yesterday. That was just before the Rocca shank and, with the benefit of hindsight, seemed like a turning point.

Archived