Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Kyle still be calling our plays on offense?

terrifNick21

Sorry Mods I didn't see this in any other thread.

It seems to me that Kyle seems like he either is over his head play calling or simply isn't good at it. I know he was the OC with the Texans prior to coming here but I believe Gary Kubiak called the plays. So my question to you all is simple....

Does Kyle deserve to call these plays or should his father take on this duty? I understand that prior to today our team was either #1 or #2 in scoring offense but I tend to side with the league not having enough tape on RG3 and that was why we were scoring. 5th week and the Falcons were able to limit him or was it the case of Kyle calling a bad game? I think a combination of both but why Josh Morgan wasn't targeted why there was no down field plays called until Cousins is in speaks volumes. I really think for us to be successful Kyle needs to stop calling the plays.

Thoughts????:point2sky

It is impossible for us to say because we don't know which calls are all his, scripted ahead of time with heavy input from others, a join decision in a specific situation, etc. We also don't know how much different and more or less effective a Mike Shanahan offense with the personnel we have would be. We all know Mike Shanahan from his days in Denver, but when we saw their classic offense putting up many yards and points/going to the superbowl most of the time he had Gary Kubiak calling the plays.

I don't really like the play calling we've had for all of Mike's tenure here. They tend to get away from things that work, and try to be too cute with quick screens, end arounds, and sometimes the often/read dive offensive looks this year. If you look at the way we were running the ball you have to wonder why we weren't going heavy with a mix of playaction bootlegs today. There were two I remember and one of them was the injury play which came at what? 3rd and 7 or 8? The purpose of a bootleg is simple: you are somewhat effective calling in on 1st down, 2nd and less than 6, or 3rd and short. That is about it. I don't know why we would bother playfaking and rolling out a QB on 3rd and long when they know we're passing and we would have to be idiots to run the ball. When we're breaking off 4,5,6+ yards each run and gashing a defense like that, we should always be going to a play action boot on 2nd and medium/short. We should almost always be running out of 3 WR or 2WR 2 TE single back sets. This gives us a lot of flexability when it comes to showing a team the same look and running a different play out of it. Why would we run a run 5 times out of one formation and then run our pass out of a different one? I saw plenty of that today as well. Also on these playaction passes we should almost always be sending somebody deep on either a deep cross or post and give the QB 2 other short options minimum. With the way we were running today there is no reason why we couldn't come out, run Morris to the left and fake a boot for 6 yards, come out on 2nd down and run a similar run play bootleg with Pierre Garcon doing a deep cross from left to right. The way their safeties were sticking their noses into the box after Morris was gashing them we likely could have hit on some big ones and if we didn't and completed for a 1st down to Fred Davis underneath, come back out the next play and run a similar pattern on 1st down and see if we can get it.

It just seems we're doing obvious things in obvious situations, and then when a situation calls for us to do the obvious thing, to not **** around, and to just get the tough yards the old fashioned way, that's usually when we get cute with some stupid play that takes a lot of effort to ultimately do nothing.

Sorry Mods I didn't see this in any other thread.

It seems to me that Kyle seems like he either is over his head play calling or simply isn't good at it. I know he was the OC with the Texans prior to coming here but I believe Gary Kubiak called the plays. So my question to you all is simple....

Does Kyle deserve to call these plays or should his father take on this duty? I understand that prior to today our team was either #1 or #2 in scoring offense but I tend to side with the league not having enough tape on RG3 and that was why we were scoring. 5th week and the Falcons were able to limit him or was it the case of Kyle calling a bad game? I think a combination of both but why Josh Morgan wasn't targeted why there was no down field plays called until Cousins is in speaks volumes. I really think for us to be successful Kyle needs to stop calling the plays.

Thoughts????:point2sky

I think you're operating on some very limited observations that make it impossible for you to judge the worthiness of Kyle's playcalling. This is what most people do and the end result is them concluding that the playcalling is good or bad based on the outcome of the play, regardless of the level of execution of the play.

Kyle's hiring has smacked of nepotism from day one; I've seen nothing during his tenure here to suggest he should be our O-coordinator, We have been among the worst in the league on 3rd down during his tenure. But, more fundamentally, he seems to have no real feel for the flow of the game, which is something that any NFL caliber playcaller should possess in spades. I'm not calling for his head, because it isn't realistic to think anything will change, but I don't think he's the right man for the job, and I think Mike S. made a bad move bringing his son in.

Well Alfred Morris has a 6.1 YPC average. No throws down field until Cousins is in. Josh Morgan not being thrown to. That direct snap to the meat of the offensive line knowing our strength is to Trent's side.......Bush league play calling if you ask me. Seems to me that RG3 being such a great athlete tends to mask Kyle's deficiencies. Where is another Gary Kubiak when you need him.......

What about the reverse to Leonard Hankerson??? I mean, really?

We're gonna be alright. We went up against a more talented team and lost our franchise QB. We just don't have enough talent now to over come that. Griff is still very raw and learning every snap. Odds are in that same situation inte future you see that ball go out of the back of the endzone. Other than special teams I was pretty happy with the plan and the players. We just need more talent, but THANK GOD we have our QB now, we can fix the rest. ,Super Bowl run coming your way in 2014!!

Kyle's hiring has smacked of nepotism from day one; I've seen nothing during his tenure here to suggest he should be our O-coordinator, We have been among the worst in the league on 3rd down during his tenure. But, more fundamentally, he seems to have no real feel for the flow of the game, which is something that any NFL caliber playcaller should possess in spades. I'm not calling for his head, because it isn't realistic to think anything will change, but I don't think he's the right man for the job, and I think Mike S. made a bad move bringing his son in.

Agreed 100%

I think you're operating on some very limited observations that make it impossible for you to judge the worthiness of Kyle's playcalling. This is what most people do and the end result is them concluding that the playcalling is good or bad based on the outcome of the play, regardless of the level of execution of the play.

Well Alfred Morris has a 6.1 YPC average. No throws down field until Cousins is in. Josh Morgan not being thrown to. That direct snap to the meat of the offensive line knowing our strength is to Trent's side.......Bush league play calling if you ask me. Seems to me that RG3 being such a great athlete tends to mask Kyle's deficiencies. Where is another Gary Kubiak when you need him.......

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 12:30 AM ----------

Agreed 100%

Your post smacks of overreaction.

Play calling isn't necessarily the issue....it's more philosophy has to change....by that I mean take the gloves off rg3 and open up the offense a bit more......I know our opine issues have been masked a bit but why not open it up and pass a bit more instead of just churning out rush after rush......also maybe time to stop scripting plays

God I'm sick of this ****. No matter what he does, because he's Mike's son, people will question him every time the team scores less than 35. There's a certain percentage of fans that will always assume nepotism no matter what. I, for one, am more than happy with the job he's doing.despite disagreeing with some of the play calls. It's such a subjective thing to try and judge.

Yes he has done a good job with wht he has....... He has avg/poor off line. 1 wr garcon who reallhy is a #2 three other wr's who are #3's 1 good TE, 1 Rookie qb and 1 Rookie RB in a tough division with a crazy hard schedule. being 2-3 really isnt that bad... if we had at least a AVG def we would be 3-2 poss 4-1.. but our D cannont lock anyone down,

This teams 1 more draft and FA class before they are going to compete.

Lot of hate around here today, we lost a game we were supposed to loose.

I think the coaching staff has done a lot to turn around the team in the three short years. From no offense to a real threat. Get rid of jim hasslet and this team is a winner. Ofc, defense looked average today, so thats a plus...

His work in Houston qualified him for work as this team's offensive coordinator, even if Shanny helped him get hired by Kubiak there. This team's personnel aren't so talented that chemistry/timing/experience in the system don't matter. Things take time. Frankly, I think they're right on schedule.

Archived