Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Kyle still be calling our plays on offense?

terrifNick21

Play calling isn't necessarily the issue....it's more philosophy has to change....by that I mean take the gloves off rg3 and open up the offense a bit more......I know our opine issues have been masked a bit but why not open it up and pass a bit more instead of just churning out rush after rush......also maybe time to stop scripting plays

I agree. Luck threw 55 times. They are letting him sling it. Not saying Robert needs to throw that many times. But the kid can throw with the best of them. Morris is a beast. But we need to start riding Roberts arm, it will only make Alfred that much more effective by opening up the passing game. We were way to predictable today. Run on first. Run on second. Then pass on third.

I agree. Luck threw 55 times. They are letting him sling it. Not saying Robert needs to throw that many times. But the kid can throw with the best of them. Morris is a beast. But we need to start riding Roberts arm, it will only make Alfred that much more effective by opening up the passing game. We were way to predictable today. Run on first. Run on second. Then pass on third.

Luck threw 55 times because the Colts were trailing the whole game.

You run with the lead to grind the clock down. Yes, you do have to throw it also, but you do more running than passing when you have the lead.

They let Luck throw it because 1.) Arians traditionally throws the ball way more than he passes (that's half the reason he's not in Pittsburgh) and 2.) they have no run game. This was Donald Brown's best game of the season and he only rushed for 82 yards. Also, like Hitman said, they're usually behind and have to throw a ton to get back into the game.

And despite that, Luck has a 54.2 completion percentage, 7 touchdowns, 5 picks, and a quarterback rating of 77.1. Call me foolish, but I like our way better.

I'll also add that a lot of the people who are claiming we need to throw it more were the same people who spent the previous two seasons complaining about how Kyle didn't know how to run a balanced offense. Now we're more balanced and it's all about how we need to be less balanced.

Luck threw 55 times because the Colts were trailing the whole game.

You run with the lead to grind the clock down. Yes, you do have to throw it also, but you do more running than passing when you have the lead.

I don't post here often, but I have to ask: Is that not the textbook definition of "playing not to lose"? It's a difficult task to recall a game where the Redskins have had a lead comfortable enough to "settle" into a run game a as a strategic measure.

I thought the whole idea of having message boards on here to talk and discuss various topics. I see several members in here trying to clown a valid question on a Redskin message board. So you that feel this post is beneath you why must you come across as so condescending? Who are you exactly to want to lesson or discredit a post? What is it because you have 7000 posts your and Extremeskin God or something? Nothing is knee jerk about a OC that seems to be in way over his head. Nothing is knee jerk when you have been the OC for 3 damn years and your 3rd down conversion rate hasn't gotten better especially when you see teams like the 49ers Saints and even the Lions go in one year from worst to first and then you all sit back here like God's saying the same things year after year. I guess what it boils down to is that you all are so damn smart and have such a high football IQ that the newbies or people on here that have more to do in life than post 200 posts per day don't warrant or aren't able to ask questions to try to learn and get a maybe a different view of what all other 31 teams appear to exploit when they face us. Personally for over 20 years this team and organization has been a laughing stock to the media and NFL in general. So excuse me for wanting to talk about and develop some different takes on Kyle as our OC and whether or not he really is fit to call the plays or whether him calling plays is a direct result of who his Daddy is and the fact that Daddy is also the HC for the very same team that for the most part with 4 different QB's in 3 years we still pretty much suck when it's 3rd down. It obvious that RG3 can run and pass and surely there isn't any other OC out there that would have a higher percentage rate in 3rd downs with RG3 as his QB....Okay thanks I will make sure to never create another post here until I get as smart and insightful as you............

I don't post here often, but I have to ask: Is that not the textbook definition of "playing not to lose"? It's a difficult task to recall a game where the Redskins have had a lead comfortable enough to "settle" into a run game a as a strategic measure.

Generally I agree with you, but when the run game works as well as it was last night (especially against a high-powered offense), you have to dance with the woman who brought you. You can't just run run pass every series, but you need to keep the ball away from the other team's offense as much as possible.

Okay thanks I will make sure to never create another post here until I get as smart and insightful as you............

u-mad-1.jpg

But in all seriousness this franchise was as bad as any has ever been in the league when Shannahan took over. No talent, no structure, nothing. One of the big reasons is anytime something didn't go well our owner/gm generally Maddened it and made the ole switcheroo. The problem is in the real NFL you have a to have a vision of the type of team and players you want. You have to build toward that vision. Sometimes it takes awhile to see the fruits of that, but we've been down the switcheroo route way to often, lets have some stability for a change.

As to those screaming what has Kyle done to earn this spot, how about being O coordinator for the Texans and doing a damn good job. He would not consider working with his dad until he had established himself on his own merits.

We need stability, a vision for the team, more talent, and time for the team to grow together and we'll be all right. Stay the course!!!

PS: If any coach should be on the hot seat it's Danny Smith.

I thought the whole idea of having message boards on here to talk and discuss various topics. I see several members in here trying to clown a valid question on a Redskin message board. So you that feel this post is beneath you why must you come across as so condescending? Who are you exactly to want to lesson or discredit a post? What is it because you have 7000 posts your and Extremeskin God or something? Nothing is knee jerk about a OC that seems to be in way over his head. Nothing is knee jerk when you have been the OC for 3 damn years and your 3rd down conversion rate hasn't gotten better especially when you see teams like the 49ers Saints and even the Lions go in one year from worst to first and then you all sit back here like God's saying the same things year after year. I guess what it boils down to is that you all are so damn smart and have such a high football IQ that the newbies or people on here that have more to do in life than post 200 posts per day don't warrant or aren't able to ask questions to try to learn and get a maybe a different view of what all other 31 teams appear to exploit when they face us. Personally for over 20 years this team and organization has been a laughing stock to the media and NFL in general. So excuse me for wanting to talk about and develop some different takes on Kyle as our OC and whether or not he really is fit to call the plays or whether him calling plays is a direct result of who his Daddy is and the fact that Daddy is also the HC for the very same team that for the most part with 4 different QB's in 3 years we still pretty much suck when it's 3rd down. It obvious that RG3 can run and pass and surely there isn't any other OC out there that would have a higher percentage rate in 3rd downs with RG3 as his QB....Okay thanks I will make sure to never create another post here until I get as smart and insightful as you............

:cheers: It was a totally valid thread. And it lead to some good discussion. Clearly, Kyle's abilities and his role for this team strike a nerve with people. I find the argument that he worked with the Texans for two years to be unconvincing. To me it really is analogous to Josh McDaniels' success in New England. And the fact that the Texans haven't lost a step indicate that he wasn't that integral to their offensive success to begin with.

Yes, this is a message board, and yes, you can feel free to post your opinions.

And if you are willing to post those opinions, you must also be willing to except that people are going to find those opinions are misguided, or silly, or stupid, or ludicrous. Discussion is good. Unilaterally ignoring points that others make because you feel that you are right regardless of the evidence people bring that is to the contrary is not good.

You feel that Kyle Shanahan is not a good coordinator. Clearly, their are many others that think he is. If you're expecting a club of people who will automatically agree with you, that isn't very bloody likely.

I agree, Kyle's time in w/ the Texans means nothing considering Kubiak came from Nike's coaching tree. I always look at the Texans playcalling. Foster and the backup get plenty of run. They run to pass the ball. I'd love to see them put more bootlegs and playactions in the gameplan. Kyle's play calling always seems to lean on way per possesion. It's either pass or play. I watched Matt Ryan read our defense and call plays off if that. Griffin is more than capable of doing the same thing.

Kyle's hiring has smacked of nepotism from day one; I've seen nothing during his tenure here to suggest he should be our O-coordinator, We have been among the worst in the league on 3rd down during his tenure. But, more fundamentally, he seems to have no real feel for the flow of the game, which is something that any NFL caliber playcaller should possess in spades. I'm not calling for his head, because it isn't realistic to think anything will change, but I don't think he's the right man for the job, and I think Mike S. made a bad move bringing his son in.

Was it nepotism when Gary Kubiak made him the offensive coordinator of the Texans? He already had the same job, and was doing great at it. So stop talking like Mike Shanahan was doing his son a favor.

Was it nepotism when Gary Kubiak made him the offensive coordinator of the Texans? He already had the same job, and was doing great at it. So stop talking like Mike Shanahan was doing his son a favor.

Don't bother, he's just going to ignore that and plowing his nepotism agenda.

So there is no chance Gary Kubiak "GAVE" Kyle that position based on all Mike did for Gary right? I mean that possibility is totally without any credence or possibility right?? Even though Mike the father has admitted to his number one reason for coaching again was to help his son?? :evilg:

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 06:16 PM ----------

I sure would like to see what our 3rd down conversion rate would be with Sean Payton calling the plays. Hell I would like to see what our 3rd down conversion rate would be with Gary Kubiak calling the plays. I damn sure know it would exponentially increase over what Kyle is doing. I don't care for me Kyle is our downfall most on offense. Great play callers and OC are able to mask weaknesses. Kyle isn't that advanced yet and may not ever be. Seriously......

So there is no chance Gary Kubiak "GAVE" Kyle that position based on all Mike did for Gary right? I mean that possibility is totally without any credence or possibility right?? Even though Mike the father has admitted to his number one reason for coaching again was to help his son?? :evilg:

You really think Kubiak was in any position to give a OC spot to someone he didn't think was his best choice for the job???? Really???

You don't get many HC'ing shots in the NFL and to make a decision for one of the most important spots on YOUR staff as a favor to someone?? Not likely.

And not just that but it would have had to go over with Rick Smith and him be ok with it too.

The crux of everyone's problem with Kyle is that he's Mike's son.

I mean that's sort of it. It's a solution in search of a problem. People have already made up their minds that the only reason Kyle is here is because his Dad wanted to hire his son. (Despite that whole thing where even though Mike wanting Kyle here, he advised Kyle to stay in Houston because he wouldn't have to deal with this exact sort of thing).

If you believe Kyle's only here because he's Mike son and not because he's a talent coordinator, there's nothing any of us can say to change your mind. You already figure nepotism has more to do it. So it doesn't matter when Kyle calls a great game; or more over, when he calls four great games. All that matters is the game where the offense was a little sluggish. Then boom; you have you excuse and you have a reason why Kyle sucks.

Actually, there's a second reason people don't like Kyle; he's not Joe Gibbs and he doesn't run the offense like it's 1991.

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 06:16 PM ----------

I sure would like to see what our 3rd down conversion rate would be with Sean Payton calling the plays. Hell I would like to see what our 3rd down conversion rate would be with Gary Kubiak calling the plays. I damn sure know it would exponentially increase over what Kyle is doing. I don't care for me Kyle is our downfall most on offense. Great play callers and OC are able to mask weaknesses. Kyle isn't that advanced yet and may not ever be. Seriously......

I'd like to see our 3rd down conversion rate with Andre Johnson catching the balls to, not gonna happen though.

You really think Kubiak was in any position to give a OC spot to someone he didn't think was his best choice for the job???? Really???

You don't get many HC'ing shots in the NFL and to make a decision for one of the most important spots on YOUR staff as a favor to someone?? Not likely.

Kubiak being HC hell yeah he had the position to give a OC spot to his mentor's son. That's called paying it forward. Also Kyle grew up around the Bronco's so I am sure he came with some understanding and with Gary Kubiak overseeing the offense and calling the plays Kyle being OC wasn't really that big of a deal. Hell Kyle left and didn't the Texans overall offense improve? Yeah I believe it did and the stats prove that........

Kubiak being HC hell yeah he had the position to give a OC spot to his mentor's son. That's called paying it forward. Also Kyle grew up around the Bronco's so I am sure he came with some understanding and with Gary Kubiak overseeing the offense and calling the plays Kyle being OC wasn't really that big of a deal. Hell Kyle left and didn't the Texans overall offense improve? Yeah I believe it did and the stats prove that........

Actually in 2010 the Texans had a drop off. The year Kyle left. Coincidence???? :ols:

HOU 2009 9 7 0 .563

HOU 2010 6 10 0 .375

For one year. The year after he left they ranked 3rd. Last year they fell to 13th, this year they rank 16th.

Kubiak wouldn't have given Kyle the job if he wasn't qualified. You're essentially saying that Kyle not only got the Redskins job because of Mike, but he got the Texans job too? That's a hell of a reach, and frankly, pretty idiotic.

Archived