Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest pass-rusher in NFL history?

Sticksboi05

this list is interesting, you say Deacon Jones is #1 yet have no one else who played before sacks were officially documented.

Not hating on Deacon, but I feel he is rated by many so highly because he was in the media for a long time and told everyone he should be. For instance, why not Alan Page or Jim Marshall? Why no Bob Lilly? (Cowboys bias aside) LC Greenwood?

Deacon talks the most and so I just feel people place him high because of that. Thats not hate on Deacon Jones and I have nothing really wrong with your list, but I am curious about his peers also.

The reason I include Deacon Jones is, as another poster indicated, some historian have gone back to count what his sack numbers would have been had that stat been official. Haven't seen that type of thing done for any of the others, which is why I included the caveat. Even a guy like Gastineau has pre-1982 sack number that weren't official (in fact, i recall seeing a stat that he unofficially recorded 20 sack in either 1980 or 1981, with Joe Klecko recording about the same number).

Others who may actually be in the top 10 are Derrick Thomas, Randle, William Fuller, Howie Long, etc. Just too many to get a really solid list together.

I would probably have to go with:

Reggie White

Bruce Smith

Demarcus Ware

Dwight Freeny

Only because those are the four I have seen. I can't say anything about the Deacon because I don't know....

What I do know is that JPP could skyrocket on this list. That dude is a freaking animal. Thank God we got Trent. He is like the only one that can contain him.

this list is interesting, you say Deacon Jones is #1 yet have no one else who played before sacks were officially documented.

Not hating on Deacon, but I feel he is rated by many so highly because he was in the media for a long time and told everyone he should be. For instance, why not Alan Page or Jim Marshall? Why no Bob Lilly? (Cowboys bias aside) LC Greenwood?

Deacon talks the most and so I just feel people place him high because of that. Thats not hate on Deacon Jones and I have nothing really wrong with your list, but I am curious about his peers also.

The reason I include Deacon Jones is, as another poster indicated, some historian have gone back to count what his sack numbers would have been had that stat been official. Haven't seen that type of thing done for any of the others, which is why I included the caveat. Even a guy like Gastineau has pre-1982 sack number that weren't official (in fact, i recall seeing a stat that he unofficially recorded 20 sack in either 1980 or 1981, with Joe Klecko recording about the same number).

Others who may actually be in the top 10 are Derrick Thomas, Randle, William Fuller, Howie Long, etc. Just too many to get a really solid list together.

I got one for you guys that is old school. Just as "fearsome" as Deacon Jones, just as good and old school.

Played for the Chicago Bears and New Orleans Saints- Doug Atkins!!!

John Facenda described him in NFL films as a "tornado ripping through a Kansas farmhouse."

But Deacon Jones is #1 to me.

I read LT's book Over The Edge 8-9 years ago, and he would always talk about how much other teams (especially ours) would scheme against him, and how he would still get his sacks. Dude made Ron Jaworski's life a living hell. He also had a lot of respect for Gibbs and the Hogs. Certified Nightmare On Elm Street.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 12:53 PM ----------

he retired for 3 years and came back and got 6 sacks for the Panthers. Reggie White was not human, lol.

Jones I believe would have 173 sacks; so 25 less in 41 less games than Reggie White.

Jones I believe would have 173 sacks; so 25 less in 41 less games than Reggie White.

He played a 12 or 14 game season. Expoliate that with added games and he's easily over 200. White, Smith and Taylor played their whole careers with the 16 game schedule.

Lawrence Taylor. Unlike the other guys on the list, he only sometimes rushed the passer - half the time he was breaking up plays across the middle or run stuffing. Yet when he did go for the passer, he caused more pure disruption than anyone. He was a total PITA.

Pass rusher is what he was asking, but I do agree with you that LT was all over the damn field. He could sniff out (gee, I wonder why) any play.

Lawrence Taylor

Although I will note that the thread title and the question in the OP are not one and the same.

I see what you mean. LT has to be the most feared. Most dominant may be Reggie White. Most prolific must be Bruce Smith right? This is a hard question to formulate.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

Dwight Freeny

Freeney was a good add. He's the most skillful pass rusher I've ever seen.

this guy is unplayable. Its scares me how good he is and could become. He has only played football for like 5 years too.

When he was a draft prospect, I kept seeing him do all of these back-flips. I was like, that dude is athletic, he is going to be a beast one day. I was so blown when the Giants drafted him. Out of all the teams, he had to go tto the one who is notorious for making pass rushers even better. :ols:

Archived