Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest pass-rusher in NFL history?

Sticksboi05

JPP is good but Trent can work him. Aldon Smith is the guy who truly scares me. He's like a monstrously strong NBA power forward and knows how to play the game better than JPP did. He's so monstrously long and powerful and fast and athletic. Great hands, freakish second bounce springiness, tremendous first few steps, and probably the biggest wingspan and biggest hands at his position in the NFL. He would probably be a 2 blocks per game defender if he played basketball. You're getting a nice variety of ways he can attack, can go inside unlike Clay Matthews and Von Miller, or he can bend the edge against most tackles.

I also think JJ Watt is going to be a complete force and that Texans defense will be scary.

Marcell Dareus will be good too, and I think Nick Fairley could be a monster for the Lions if he could ever manage to stay healthy. His speed on that playing surface paired inside with Ndamukong Suh will be tough to deal with.

And speaking of Suh, if the guy cleans up his act off the field, he could go down as an all time great.

I also think Robert Quinn is a freak, maybe even more so than JPP, and potentially the most gifted pure edge rusher in the NFC. When the Rams defensive line finally grows up, between him, Chris Long, and Michael Brockers, they'll be unstoppable. If they can use that bounty of draft picks we gave them to fix that awful offensive line and add some offensive weapons they'll be a Superbowl caliber team.

• 1 month later...

So I was at the game yesterday. I was stone cold sober at the time and am not exaggerating one word of this. I was attending the Redskins / Panthers game today with my buddy Matt who is a huge Panthers fan. It was a beautiful early November day. Clear skies and high 40’s with the hope that it would warm up a little before kickoff. We had snagged some great seats at a good deal the day before on Stub Hub. Soon after we snaked across the asphalt wasteland of Fed Ex Field and parked a little too close to the port-o-johns, we walked to the Stub Hub trailer to put the tickets in hand.

It was Homecoming weekend for the Redskins who brought back 140 or so former players who were going to walk in a parade around the road that circles the stadium at 10AM. On the way back to the car we saw Jon Jansen and Bobby Beathard signing autographs so we stopped for a minute to see who else would show up. A bus stops in front of us and lots of large men step off the bus wearing burgundy suit jackets. My buddy quizzed me on who everyone was. I didn’t do too well but I did shake Charlie Taylor’s hand.

Then I noticed 8 time pro bowler Deacon Jones sitting in a golf cart in front of me. What a pimp. He is in a seated position like as on a throne wearing a big gold ring, holding a bejeweled cane in his hand. If I had been drinking at 10 in the morning I would have added a kingly robe to this story. Truthfully there was no robe but there was damn close to a scepter. I made several grand proclamations all of the general theme of Deacon being the man and shook his hand. I stared into his grey leathery face for what seemed like an eternity and that’s when he looked at me with those cold, dark eyes and said the following words “Yo hands is cold as ice” and he really drew out the word “ice” turning it into a 3 or 4 syllable word with his Southern drawl. The best comparison I can use to describe my reaction was how a puppy would act if you said “do you want to play with the ball?” I started jumping up and down, rubbing my hands on my pants leg trying to warm them up for the man who is widely considered to be one of the greatest defensive players in the league’s history while he continually shouted words of encouragement to me. I think it’s safe to say it was an odd scene.

My friend Matt, along with many others, observed this curious situation and soon brought up a segment on his phone that NFL Films did on the best pass rushers of all times. The Pro Football Hall of Famer who invented the word “sack” Deacon Jones on the head slap: “…because any time you go upside a man’s head, or a woman, then they have a tendency to blink they eyes or close they eyes and that was all I needed.” The “yo hands” and “or a woman” phrases were repeated often for the remainder of the day.

Hard to compare eras, but Deacon Jones wins the name battle. I mean, if someone tells me that, sight unseen, I have to fight/compete/whatever against a guy named Reggie or Lawrence, I'm nervous but not psyched out. If my unseen opponent is named Deacon, that brings a whole new dimension into it. Only bad sons of ****es are named things like Deacon, it sounds like a guy you fight at the end of a video game.

Archived