Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monday 8/6: Training Camp Tweets

On Cooley playing FB (Keim):

1. Tight end Chris Cooley wanted to show the coaches he could stay healthy. He also likes reminding them of his versatility. To that end, he hasn’t missed a practice and he’ll line up at fullback in the preseason opener vs. Buffalo.

Cooley played fullback last season when Darrel Young was injured (Mike Sellers was healthy at the time).

All the tight ends need to learn fullback in case Young gets hurt (he’ll likely be the only fullback on the roster). But the only tight end right now capable of filling this role is Cooley. Second-year tight end Niles Paul said last week he’s not comfortable in that role yet, though even Cooley said it would only take Paul about three weeks into the season to reach that point. So, for now, it’s an advantage but one that can change as Paul gets more experienced at the position (tough to see Fred Davis in this role or even Logan Paulsen). That’s why it’s hard to tell if that versatility is a major plus in his favor or not.

Cooley understands his role when moving to fullback.

“Would you ever look at me as a punishing Mike Sellers, Darrel Young blocker?” Cooley said. “No, but I’ll get the block in the hole and I’m gonna get my hat on the linebacker and the running backs always have a chance to make the cut.”

2. The big question with Cooley, obviously, is his left knee, which limited him to five games last season. And two of his past three seasons have ended on injured reserve (an ankle injury in 2009).

“I’ve worked hard to get myself in position to play and play at a high level,” Cooley said. “I expect to stay healthy and I think everyone expects me to stay healthy, so it’s a good feeling so far. Now it’s going to have to transition into me putting myself on the field… It’s not going to be that great a feeling if I’m standing on the sidelines. So I have a lot of work to do.

“I couldn’t move well last year. I had a lot of fluid in my knee at all times. I had a hard time going two days in a row. I’m continuing to build speed, I’m continuing to get better on my feet. My routes have looked better. I feel like I’m getting back to the player I know I can be. I think our staff knows what I can do. I know what I’m capable of. That’s what everyone expects of me. I have to continue to provide that on a daily basis.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-notes/article/2504112

I swear, cooley was whiffing like made the few chances he got to FB, was it last year? ... I remember seeing him trying to play bock and just scratching my head.

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't impressed with him at fullback and haven't been impressed with him at all over the last couple of seasons... what little he's played.

I just hope Young will be okay. Those hammies can linger.

I just hope people get it through their heads that Cooley is not the type of player that you look for excuses to keep him on a team. That right goes to the Lorenzo Alexander's of the world.

Davis on his continuous drug testing:

Davis, who was suspended for the final four games last season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, said he is subject to drug tests two to three times each week.

The 26-year-old tight end also said he’s been meeting with a counselor each week since being suspended last December for a drug test he failed during the 2011 season.

“It does help to talk to somebody,” Davis acknowledged.

Davis said he and Trent Williams, who was also suspended for the final four games, speak often and offer support for one another.

“I knew when I made that mistake, me and Trent both knew it was wrong,” Davis said. “Just talking to each other, knowing never to put our team and jeopardize them like that again, that’s the main thing. Talking between each other really helped us.”

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/redskins-talk/Testing-counseling-a-regular-part-of-Dav?blockID=752113&feedID=6458

OMG this Tweetup event is who can post the most tweets and they win some surprise. Someone is camping and tweeting the entire time. I just want to see the players play

I'm done tweeting till I see some action. I posted some Q+A to. Bruce Allen see what happens hahah

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

Depth chart lists: RB1 Hightower, RB2 Royster, RB3 Helu; WR1 Garcon/Armstrong; WR2 Moss/Hankerson/Morgan; TE2 Cooley, TE3 Niles, TE4 Logan

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

Rex on RG3 & the playbook: "We’ve got a couple plays that he put in, that he feels good with, that he asked to get put in there." #Redskins

I thought THT was still working on the knee. Doubtful he is the #1, maybe that is the goal by regular season.

I think that is the "If everyone is healthy" depth chart. Injury / rehab will determine who actually starts / plays against Buffalo.

Archived