Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 5 athletes who could've been more

Sticksboi05

We all know in sports that sometimes, as great as a player is, their true potential is never reached for one or more reasons. So what five players come to mind when you think, what could've been. Ranked or un-ranked lists are fine.

This includes great players who could've done more or players about to be great but never were etc.

Warning: Sean Taylor will probably be in a lot of these lists, that is100% fine. Just do not start a pissing match with anyone over it or his accomplishments/legacy. That's what all the annoying threads in the Stadium are for.

My childhood hero: Bo Jackson. the hip injury stopped football and baseball cold. He continued to play baseball but never could live up to the speed he had before.

And really... who didn't have this poster of baseball card as a kid?

bo-jackson-the-ball.jpeg

Len Bias is #1 for me- I was a teenager when he was playing at MD. I kind of idolized him a bit. Tore my heart out not only hearing when he died, but the cause.

Eric Lindros- Was supposed to be the next Gretzky

Kerry Wood- Was supposed to be the next Roger Clemens (minus the roids)

Davey Allison- Died way too young and in his prime

Jerome Brown- Would probably be better than Reggie Whie. White said that himself.

In no particular order

Len Bias

Bo Jackson

Lawrence Phillips(trust me, when he was at Nebraska, I thought we was going to be the next big thing at RB).

Terrell Davis

Mark Prior

Honorable Mention: Kerry Wood, Brien(sp) Taylor, Jerome Brown, Marcus Dupree, Sean Taylor

Mike Tyson - Imagine if Cus D'Amato didn't die so early in his career and he never went to jail for rape.

Michael Westbrooke - This dude could've been special with his build, but he was just a mental case.

Ovie - It's time to step it up, sir so please cut the clubs and other **** out!

Chris Webber - Always a very good player but he had the athleticism to be in the HOF he just could never grow up except for like 3 years in Sacramento.

I'm listing mine, more than 5 as how do you rank them? potential lost, body of work shown so far? No order for the list below, but like most people here, Taylor is pretty high up on my list in terms of rank.

Tony Gwynn my all time favourite baseball player. Although he never was a speed demon, I always though he could have hit .400 a few times had he dropped some lbs.

Roberto Clemente- scarry to think how long he would have played and what numbers he would have put up.

Gale Sayers- he is in the HOF, but only played 5 years due to knee injuries, injuries that now would not be career ending.

Doug Fluite- had someone in the NFL gave this a guy a shot, I think he could have won a Superbowl. Wade Phillips has been quoted many times that his single biggest mistake as a NFL coach was letting Rob Johnson start that playoff game instead of Doug.

Derrick Thomas- the man was a beast

Sean Taylor- he was a meast

Bo Jackson- he knows

Marcus Dupree

Tony Conigliaro- msot wont remeber the name, but I am sure this cover of sports illustrated rings a bell.

SI_Tony_C.jpg

In no particular order

Len Bias

Bo Jackson

Lawrence Phillips(trust me, when he was at Nebraska, I thought we was going to be the next big thing at RB).

Terrell Davis

Mark Prior

Honorable Mention: Kerry Wood, Brien(sp) Taylor, Jerome Brown, Marcus Dupree, Sean Taylor

holy christ, my early 1990's baseball card collection almost forgot about Brien Taylor. I think his story was he got in a fight at home and screwed up his arm.

Yeah right now he's on the verge of being on this list, but there's hope for him yet.

My first thought was Semin...at least considering his career with the Caps, though not sure he's top 5. I'd put Pat Tillman on an honorable mentions list too...he may not have been the greatest ever, but he could have been more. Maybe Joey T as well...I mean he was great, obviously, but he could have been greater.

Top 5 (in no particular order)

Bo Jackson

Len Bias

Sean Taylor

Barry Sanders

Bobby Orr

Though...I think it'd be interesting to do a list of people who could have been more but decided on their own terms to quit vs athletes who could have been more but were forced to quit because of other circumstances.

Edit: I just have issues picking a top 5 anything :silly:

My all time would be Andre Agassi. After his book came out and how he stated that he hated to play tennis, the light came on for me. He still won a ton of majors late in age. Can you imagine if he had Pete Samprass' work ethic. I think people would be comparing Federer to Agassi as the greatest of all time.

Archived