Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Impressions from Monday Redskins practice

Text from one source:

Washington Redskins general manager, Bruce Allen was on ESPN 980 today when he accidentally let it slip that he was on the phone with the Oakland Raiders this morning discussing a potential trade. He did not say who the trade was for, or who initiated the talks, but despite the lack of information, it made one thing clear, the Raiders are still actively looking to upgrade their team.

While no specifics were mentioned, there is already speculation about who the Redskins may be looking to deal to the Raiders. A Redskins blog known as the Redskins Hog Heaven is speculating that it could be tight end Chris Cooley that the Raiders are after. That would make a lot of sense from a McKenzian point of view. Cooley is a veteran tight end with a lot of experience. He does not come with a big time price tag and would fit nicely in the Raiders offense.

No telling if the Raiders will be able to make a trade with the Redskins, but do not be surprised if the Raiders do make a move in the near future. Also don't be surprised if that move has absolutely nothing to do with Cedric Benson.

Apologies if I whiffed on this, but here's the link:

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/oakland-raiders/2012/7/30/3204815/oakland-raiders-chris-cooley-tight-end

Would Allen say he was talking a deal? I think he'd squelch either way. In any case, again, sorry if I goofed.

I thought Bruce Allen squelched that rumor in his presser yesterday.

Technically, Bruce Allen started all this too. But right now, everything is speculation, and Riggin's saying it's for a starting OL or a pick carries no weight. It being Chris Cooley carries no weight, too.

If we played in the NFC West, I would be less concerned. We play in the toughest division in football with the best pass rushers in football

But now the Skins have a QB that can move his feet in the pocket. Rex and John didn't have the ability too move in the pocket. The Steelers and the Packers have had terrible OL. The difference is that they have QB's that have pocket awareness and make plays with their feet. Big Ben and Rodgers get sacked a lot because they try to extend the play.

I am seriously worried about our offensive line now. We are incredibly thin at all spots. I would say it is time to give up on the Jamal Brown Experiment. Tried, and failed, but it can't be allowed to continue.

You can't give up on Brown at this minute. First of all, I believe he's on the active PUP, so he's not taking up a roster spot, and you have NO idea if he can play? The Shanahans are far more aware about him then we ever will be, I'm sure there's hope for him to see the field in week 1 - just need to make sure he gets there and they're doing the right moves at the moment.

Text from one source:

Washington Redskins general manager, Bruce Allen was on ESPN 980 today when he accidentally let it slip that he was on the phone with the Oakland Raiders this morning discussing a potential trade. He did not say who the trade was for, or who initiated the talks, but despite the lack of information, it made one thing clear, the Raiders are still actively looking to upgrade their team.

While no specifics were mentioned, there is already speculation about who the Redskins may be looking to deal to the Raiders. A Redskins blog known as the Redskins Hog Heaven is speculating that it could be tight end Chris Cooley that the Raiders are after. That would make a lot of sense from a McKenzian point of view. Cooley is a veteran tight end with a lot of experience. He does not come with a big time price tag and would fit nicely in the Raiders offense.

No telling if the Raiders will be able to make a trade with the Redskins, but do not be surprised if the Raiders do make a move in the near future. Also don't be surprised if that move has absolutely nothing to do with Cedric Benson.

Apologies if I whiffed on this, but here's the link:

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/oakland-raiders/2012/7/30/3204815/oakland-raiders-chris-cooley-tight-end

Would Allen say he was talking a deal? I think he'd squelch either way. In any case, again, sorry if I goofed.

No worries. With all the chatter going back and forth, these things seem to change daily.

Bottom line, I doubt the Raiders would trade us an OL for Cooley. Heck, I don't think we'd get much of anything for Cooley at this point, but this is the Raiders we're talking about. Who knows?

yeah, I read that and swallowed my gum. What are we going to do, besides go back to this post in October and say, "I told you so."?

I hate being a pessimist but it's like only a few people are on board with what i'm saying. Everyone else thinks the Skins will be fine at O Line. Alright then...

But now the Skins have a QB that can move his feet in the pocket. Rex and John didn't have the ability too move in the pocket. The Steelers and the Packers have had terrible OL. The difference is that they have QB's that have pocket awareness and make plays with their feet. Big Ben and Rodgers get sacked a lot because they try to extend the play.

Big Ben actually makes his line look worse than it is at times by holding on to the ball forever. Sometimes he makes a big play, sometimes he takes a big sack.

Rex generally makes decisions pretty fast -- it's a big reason our line looked decent the last four games last year even though it was all backups.

Beck... Sweet Jesus. I've never seen a QB hold on to the ball forever just to check down or take a terrible sack.

I am seriously worried about our offensive line now. We are incredibly thin at all spots. I would say it is time to give up on the Jamal Brown Experiment. Tried, and failed, but it can't be allowed to continue.

Shanny really ending up with egg on his face for this one. He put way too much stock in this guys ability to recover.

Sucks.

Shanny really ending up with egg on his face for this one. He put way too much stock in this guys ability to recover.

Sucks.

There's no way to know if Shanahan put any stock into his full recovery at all. Saying anything else is purely speculation. Cap-wise, we're kind of stuck with him, so what do you expect to hear from the HC? He's done everything he reasonably could for the OL this offseason. We'll see how it plays out, but pretending to be privy to Shanahan's thoughts, hopes, or expectations is silly.

Worried about the Oline. After 4 days of training camp you ask? Absolutely

I agree... second-team defense was beating their rears today... unacceptable... the OL something we have to address every offseason... a decent line isn't enough, we need depth, too, just so one injury doesn't decimate the offense

Guys need to settle down about the OL. It's not the ideal situation at all but its not that bad either. The guys stepping in did a great job last year with virtually no time to prepare, at least this season they will have all that experience plus a full offseaon. In addition to that we have the rookies who long promising too.

If we can stick it out for one year we can go heavy OL and secondary in the draft and FA next year anyway.

The offensive line the last four games of the season last year was:

LT Willie Smith

LG Mo Hurt

C Monty

RG Chris Chester

RT Tyler Polumbus

That's where we are at right now with the exception of Trent Williams playing left tackle. It's not a big deal right now. Give them a couple of days.

Actually might be better off with the RT there and getting Lich back.

When do most cuts usually take place during NFL training camps?

There are set dates by which you have to be under a reduced roster limit. The cuts to watch though are after the last preseason game before you set the 53 man roster for week 1. I can see us being very active scanning that waiver wire for help at OLine for guys who are in that last round of cuts.

Would have rather have drafted Reiff for tackle than RG3?

Kalil was picked 4th and we would not have gotten him.

Bobbie Massie was the 8th tackle taken and we could have gotten him instead of Cousins but he is weak on pass protection and probably will switch to guard inthe NFL. Do not get nervous, we will have a line.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 05:22 PM ----------

Remember we still have $18 million penalty next year which hurts free agent activity and no first round pick, so we need to develop what we have.

Trade something for a good tackle prospect. I am furious with the Cousins pick now.

---------- Post added July-30th-2012 at 09:37 PM ----------

Then why are the national media saying they don't look good?

Dont you know that the homers know better than the national media - the national media has an agenda that involves saying terrible things about the redskins...........

:ols:

I agree... second-team defense was beating their rears today... unacceptable... the OL something we have to address every offseason... a decent line isn't enough, we need depth, too, just so one injury doesn't decimate the offense

Please join the thread about Shanny neglecting the oline - I need help. lol

Archived