Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Impressions from Monday Redskins practice

We read one day that the Oline looks good,opening big holes and the offense marches down the field, not once...or twice..but three times.

Next day, the defense is everywhere, disrupting plays and causing turnovers.

I think they call this phenomenon Training Camp.

Boom. Exactly. Let's see some preseason action before we throw in the 2012 towel.

The offensive line the last four games of the season last year was:

LT Willie Smith

LG Mo Hurt

C Monty

RG Chris Chester

RT Tyler Polumbus

That's where we are at right now with the exception of Trent Williams playing left tackle. It's not a big deal right now. Give them a couple of days.

THIS.

Gentlemen, it is no secret that our offensive line is our biggest weakness, or at least question mark going into the season. That is as much a testament to the work Shanahan has done in building depth at positions like linebacker, defensive line, running back, receiver, and yes, even quarterback. Is it a weakness? Yes, but Shanahan HAS built depth and continued to draft guys their - 3 linemen again this year.

There are several things Shanahan has been very successful at throughout his career. He gets the most credit for finding running backs anywhere in the draft and turning them into studs. A huge part of this that Shanahan is not often given enough credit for is the fact that he is also EXCELLENT at finding offensive linemen anywhere in the draft or free agency that fit perfectly in his scheme.

There is no such thing as a complete team in the NFL. Everyone has weakness. The Patriots had the worst defense in the league last year and were still a dominant team because their offense was so good. Now, our offense is not going to be that good this year, but we are a much more balanced team with a defense that could be excellent this year. Keep in mind in these practices that our weakness is going against our best and deepest group - aka the front 7 of our defense - which is not only the best group on our team, but in my opinion will be among the top 5 front 7's in the league this year.

Now, as DC9 stated above, our offensive line was in far worse shape at the end of last year because we were missing our best linemen in Trent Williams. He is back and healthy, as is Montgomery and Chester. I've been watching a lot of last year's games lately and guess what - that group of nobody's performed pretty well at the end of the year, especially in the run game which HEY, guess what, opened up the play action game which is a huge part of our offense.

So while I'm concerned about keeping RG3 upright and healthy, and I fully admit the offensive line is our weakest link, I'm not going to concede that it's a piss poor group or that we don't have quality depth (our starters are not great, but there isn't much of a dropoff when they are replaced, hell you could argue the backups played better at the end of the year, with the exception of at LT). If the group of guys that are out there can establish Shanahan's running game using technique and quickness, and not necessarily by always being great linemen, our running game can excel, as it did with Helu and Royster at the end of the year. If this opens up our passing game for RG3 as much as it did for Rex last year, then I'm not overly worried about missing a guy like Jammal Brown because RG3 can take advantage of it much more than Rex did. Brown being out, imo, hardly even hurts us. We will definitely miss Lichtensteiger - he's very good in our scheme - if he can't play for a while or takes extra time to regain form, but I've read that the coaches are very impressed with the progress that Hurt has made, and obviously the coaching staff felt pretty good about LeReibus in the draft.

The sky is not falling people.

THIS.

Gentlemen, it is no secret that our offensive line is our biggest weakness, or at least question mark going into the season. That is as much a testament to the work Shanahan has done in building depth at positions like linebacker, defensive line, running back, receiver, and yes, even quarterback. Is it a weakness? Yes, but Shanahan HAS built depth and continued to draft guys their - 3 linemen again this year.

There are several things Shanahan has been very successful at throughout his career. He gets the most credit for finding running backs anywhere in the draft and turning them into studs. A huge part of this that Shanahan is not often given enough credit for is the fact that he is also EXCELLENT at finding offensive linemen anywhere in the draft or free agency that fit perfectly in his scheme.

There is no such thing as a complete team in the NFL. Everyone has weakness. The Patriots had the worst defense in the league last year and were still a dominant team because their offense was so good. Now, our offense is not going to be that good this year, but we are a much more balanced team with a defense that could be excellent this year. Keep in mind in these practices that our weakness is going against our best and deepest group - aka the front 7 of our defense - which is not only the best group on our team, but in my opinion will be among the top 5 front 7's in the league this year.

Now, as DC9 stated above, our offensive line was in far worse shape at the end of last year because we were missing our best linemen in Trent Williams. He is back and healthy, as is Montgomery and Chester. I've been watching a lot of last year's games lately and guess what - that group of nobody's performed pretty well at the end of the year, especially in the run game which HEY, guess what, opened up the play action game which is a huge part of our offense.

So while I'm concerned about keeping RG3 upright and healthy, and I fully admit the offensive line is our weakest link, I'm not going to concede that it's a piss poor group or that we don't have quality depth (our starters are not great, but there isn't much of a dropoff when they are replaced, hell you could argue the backups played better at the end of the year, with the exception of at LT). If the group of guys that are out there can establish Shanahan's running game using technique and quickness, and not necessarily by always being great linemen, our running game can excel, as it did with Helu and Royster at the end of the year. If this opens up our passing game for RG3 as much as it did for Rex last year, then I'm not overly worried about missing a guy like Jammal Brown because RG3 can take advantage of it much more than Rex did. Brown being out, imo, hardly even hurts us. We will definitely miss Lichtensteiger - he's very good in our scheme - if he can't play for a while or takes extra time to regain form, but I've read that the coaches are very impressed with the progress that Hurt has made, and obviously the coaching staff felt pretty good about LeReibus in the draft.

The sky is not falling people.

If we played in the NFC West, I would be less concerned. We play in the toughest division in football with the best pass rushers in football

If we played in the NFC West, I would be less concerned. We play in the toughest division in football with the best pass rushers in football

Maybe they will blitz every time at the new rookie and he will get outside and throw it deep every time for a TD.

*rolls eyes*

First off, the NFC West ain't exactly lacking pass rushers. Chris Clemons, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Sam Acho, Calais Campbell, and I would hesitate to say our division has the best ANYTHING. NFC East is so overrated it's ridiculous.

Second, if our divisions pass rush is so big and bad, how did our back-ups manage to hold the Giants and the Iggles to only 1 sack in the two games we played them in at the end of the season? Trent Williams stone walled DeMarcus Ware so bad that he had to start rushing off the opposite side just to bring any pressure. Hell, the Eagles supposedly "great" pass rush only got two sacks in two separate games versus us.

Third; it's great all these teams have such awesome pass rushes. Too bad they all have glaring weaknesses elsewhere. Only Dallas seems to be able to stop our run game consistently in a way where we literally can't run the ball on them. Everyone's secondary sucks. Philly can't tackle.

The NFC East isn't the glamour division. It's the most overrated division, that just so happens to be in four of the country's largest media markets. We all beat on each other pretty good, but just about anytime anyone but the Giants comes up against a real NFC powerhouse, they lose.

The line will be fine. Don't panic. The teams in our division aren't as good as you think they are.

Not to worry, it's a proven fact the defense always starts out looking better then the offense on most NFL teams. As others stated, its the injuries that concerns me. May God protect our players and team for at least the next decade, we have had more than our share of injuries in the past.

I am seriously worried about our offensive line now. We are incredibly thin at all spots. I would say it is time to give up on the Jamal Brown Experiment. Tried, and failed, but it can't be allowed to continue.

So do you have someone better lined up? Because if you know something Shanahan doesn't about some great, cheep, free agent O linemen that everyone else has missed, I'd love to hear it.

The bottom line is we aren't exactly rolling in cap space to bring in a good vet and we used our 3rd, 5th, and a 6th draft pick on the O line so I don't know how much more we can do. If a better option than Brown steps up, great. If not, then let the "experiment" continue. At least until next year. It's not like we have a choice.

So do you have someone better lined up? Because if you know something Shanahan doesn't about some great, cheep, free agent O linemen that everyone else has missed, I'd love to hear it.

The bottom line is we aren't exactly rolling in cap space to bring in a good vet and we used our 3rd, 5th, and a 6th draft pick on the O line so I don't know how much more we can do. If a better option than Brown steps up, great. If not, then let the "experiment" continue. At least until next year. It's not like we have a choice.

Not to mention we aggressively pursued guys like Eric Winston and Demetreus Bell. It's not like they weren't trying. That whole "robbed of cap space" thing kind of bit us in the ass.

It's training camp. Injuries happen. It sucks, it's a little worrisome. But the situation is what it is. We will adjust and we will move forward.

Worried about the Oline. After 4 days of training camp you ask? Absolutely

Relax. :)

Word came from practice today that the coaches were INTENTIONALLY giving RG3 heavy pressure to see how he dealt with it. To see if he could make decisions in a very short time.

IOW, they are using artificial means to introduce the speed of the game to RG3 and get him used to it.

As Zoony said, we run a ZBS. Which means they are smaller, quicker guys. They can't always practice the way they play.

Relax. :)

Word came from practice today that the coaches were INTENTIONALLY giving RG3 heavy pressure to see how he dealt with it. To see if he could make decisions in a very short time.

IOW, they are using artificial means to introduce the speed of the game to RG3 and get him used to it.

As Zoony said, we run a ZBS. Which means they are smaller, quicker guys. They can't always practice the way they play.

Unfortunately, it's less the play and more the injuries that have me worried. It's something we should have addressed more in the offseason.

We really should have used our 4th rounder on an OT instead of gambling at backup QB. (By the way, he looks awful so far, from what I hear - INT machine).

Unfortunately, it's less the play and more the injuries that have me worried. It's something we should have addressed more in the offseason.

We really should have used our 4th rounder on an OT instead of gambling at backup QB. (By the way, he looks awful so far, from what I hear - INT machine).

Cousins is a 4th round QB who'll take a year to develop on the practice squad. You could argue that we could have got better value with a 4th round pick on the OL, but how many 4th round lineman become starters in their first year? The front office did what they could to bolster the line, given that the best players weren't going to come to a team that couldn't pay them.

Maybe Kory will be OK for the rest of the season. Maybe Brown will return pre-season if the MRI is clear. We actually have better depth now than last year, especially with Locklear gone, and last year the OL was not "bad" but merely "average". Hell, the Giants won the division with an OL that was hardly dominant.

We read one day that the Oline looks good,opening big holes and the offense marches down the field, not once...or twice..but three times.

Next day, the defense is everywhere, disrupting plays and causing turnovers.

I think they call this phenomenon Training Camp.

:ols: Laughing like Burt Reynolds :ols:

---------- Post added July-31st-2012 at 08:24 AM ----------

Why is Lichy JUST getting his knee scoped now??

He had been doing his rehab in the offseason. First few practices he was OK, then he felt some discomfort. Loose particles. The original surgery to repair the ligaments is fine. He should be back by week 1.

---------- Post added July-31st-2012 at 08:27 AM ----------

Hence, why the staff is throwing the kitchen sink at them now. Better be bad now, then in 6 weeks. 4th day of camp man and first day in pads. Let them get used to hitting. And, as someone mentioned, we do alot of cut blocks, so I'm sure Shanny doesn't want our OL cut blocking our DL at this point.

The offensive line the last four games of the season last year was:

LT Willie Smith

LG Mo Hurt

C Monty

RG Chris Chester

RT Tyler Polumbus

That's where we are at right now with the exception of Trent Williams playing left tackle. It's not a big deal right now. Give them a couple of days.

The problem now isn't so much THOSE guys. (except that I think Hurt is a weak link there) they did play together for a stretch in live games and did o.k.

The problem now is depth.

Our main back ups now are Willie Smith, who got blown up so bad by ROB JACKSON, that he hurt himself. And a rookie in Josh L.

We did sign the veteran Black, but he was previously cut by another team and is brand new with the line.

If Jammal can't play this season, and Kory L. takes an extended time to come back.. one more injury to this line will hobble us. 2 injuries will ruin us.

Word is they may be looking to trade CC#47 to the Raidas for an OL or pick.

It's on RiggosRag.

I'd hate to see this as I LOVE Cooley. However, we have Davis, and DY or Alexander (slash) ... if we pull the trigger on #47 for a starting quality OL I would only be bedridden for a week or so with depression if this happened.

Archived