Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Impressions from Monday Redskins practice

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/41258/impressions-from-monday-redskins-practice

Griffin's getting rave reviews around these parts for his attitude and the way in which he is balancing his dual responsibilities of fitting in with and taking charge of the team. After hearing a comment Griffin made about his ability to break arm tackles, cornerback DeAngelo Hall made him carry his pads Monday, telling him it would help him build up the strength to keep breaking those arm tackles. And he's working on his rendition of "My Girl" for the team's rookie talent show, which begins Tuesday night. But he's also looking for opportunities to lead, and chasing after Kehl on a play that was basically over was one.

Of course, what you want to know is how he looked while actually practicing. My first impression was that he looked like a rookie -- a beat too slow with his decision-making in some key spots and a little bit off with throws in part as a result of that. This is what you'd expect a rookie quarterback to look like less than one week into his first training camp, and so there's no reason to be overly concerned about it. He throws a great-looking ball, obviously, and when he runs with it he looks fantastic. The issue is getting used to the speed of the NFL game. He's got plenty of time for that, and to hear him tell it he's got help from his teammates on the defensive side of the ball.

Some other thoughts from my first day here at Redskins training camp:

The offensive line looks like a real problem area, and it's down two starters. Left guard Kory Lichtensteiger had arthroscopic surgery to clean out cartilage in his surgically repaired knee, and while the scope showed no damage to knee ligaments, Shanahan said he's hoping Lichtensteiger will be back by the first regular-season game. And right tackle Jammal Brown is still awaiting news on his recurring hip problem. So Maurice Hurt was starting at left guard and Tyler Polumbus at right tackle with the first-team offense Monday, and the line was overmatched, even against Washington's second-team defense. It needs to jell quickly. Griffin is, as you may have heard, a considerable investment for this organization. It'd be good to keep him upright if possible.

Veteran Santana Moss is the shrimp of a wide receiver corps that includes Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan and Leonard Hankerson, but he looks great and sounds motivated, and I wouldn't count him out as a starter opposite Garcon. The Redskins used Hankerson and Morgan in the slot as well as Moss during practice Monday.

Evan Royster looks very good in the competition at running back. Tim Hightower sat out team drills due to his recovery from his knee injury, so Royster, Roy Helu and Alfred Morris got the reps. Royster made one excellent leaping one-handed catch and skittered through the defense for a big gain on another play.

The defensive line rotation is very fluid on the first-team unit. There were plays on which Jarvis Jenkins and Stephen Bowen were the ends on either side of nose tackle Barry Cofield, plays on which Adam Carriker and Bowen flanked Cofield, plays on which Carriker and Bowen played the ends with Jenkins in the middle... That's the way they want to run it, to keep everyone fresh, if possible.

I am seriously worried about our offensive line now. We are incredibly thin at all spots. I would say it is time to give up on the Jamal Brown Experiment. Tried, and failed, but it can't be allowed to continue.

You would think we would've abandoned it a while ago but for some reason he manages to stick around, injured hip and all

Defense always tends to dominate the O, esp the first few practices with pads on. Let's talk in one week.

That's true and yet we are returning the same starters at offensive line and now 2 are down. Raises concerns even if the O-line generally has to play catch up. The only good thing to come from it is the rookies we drafted will get more opportunities but still they won't be ready to be week 1 starters

One report after one practice is no reason to panic. Also, NONE of our other position groups have gotten negative reviews. That's pretty cool. Last year there were problems all over the team. Seems to me like there's a lot less this year. And yes, there is still time for the O-line to get it together.

I would say it is time to give up on the Jamal Brown Experiment. Tried, and failed, but it can't be allowed to continue.

I agree, but at the same time we don't have anyone better. Is it better to stick in a guy who isn't at talented, but he's more durable? Possibly. But I'm not advocating for cutting Brown loose until we get a better player to replace him. At least we can conservatively say that Brown will play some games this season and help us in stints. Replace him as soon as possible, or sooner, because he can't stay healthy, but I don't think he's getting replaced this season.

That's true and yet we are returning the same starters at offensive line and now 2 are down. Raises concerns even if the O-line generally has to play catch up. The only good thing to come from it is the rookies we drafted will get more opportunities but still they won't be ready to be week 1 starters

The offensive line the last four games of the season last year was:

LT Willie Smith

LG Mo Hurt

C Monty

RG Chris Chester

RT Tyler Polumbus

That's where we are at right now with the exception of Trent Williams playing left tackle. It's not a big deal right now. Give them a couple of days.

The offensive line the last four games of the season last year was:

LT Willie Smith

LG Mo Hurt

C Monty

RG Chris Chester

RT Tyler Polumbus

That's where we are at right now with the exception of Trent Williams playing left tackle. It's not a big deal right now. Give them a couple of days.

We're also trying to win a division and keep our Rookie QB upright. Sure in an emergency situation, the line is what it is, but I want to win this year

I know we have said it before but man, Graziano is so much better than Mosley.

We see it every year, injuries in camp. ShanAllen have been working on the depth issue and we are getting younger, so let's not say the sky is falling yet. Goff was not going to be a starter but some nice depth at LB but I think we are still good there and we were all questioning Brown around the draft. The good news is that Lich's ligaments look good and it was just a scope.

We're also trying to win a division and keep our Rookie QB upright. Sure in an emergency situation, the line is what it is, but I want to win this year

We all 'want to win this year'; but realistically it's gona' be years 4 and 5/ 2013/2014 before that starts happening on a consistent basis.

Hail.

Nice to get some objective reporting for a change. So far everything has been homer or hater

Not too worried about OLine. Shanny is very specific for what he wants out of his OLineman... Which is mostly smaller and quicker with better endurance that shows up throughout the course of the game. Doesn't surprise me that they look shaky in Head to head drills

Also, keep in mind that cut blocks are a very important part of the scheme, and I'm positive Shanny doesn't want his OLine cutting his starting dlineman in practice

Why is Lichy JUST getting his knee scoped now??
Eh, they can't diagnose unless they present I guess. Probably the first real work that knee has received. Hope he heals quick especially after what Trent Williams said about having him back is like a comfortable shoe.

I'm more concerned at the OL health than their performance at this point.

I agree....health is the key issue to me....because whoever the starting unit will be on the O-line, they will need plenty of time to gel between themselves, and with RGIII. The defensive front is same as last season for the most part.....so makes sense that they would shine initially.

Also....nothing about the secondary?

Trade something for a good tackle prospect. I am furious with the Cousins pick now.

---------- Post added July-30th-2012 at 09:37 PM ----------

This offensive line played damn well the last 4 games. Hurt, Polumbus, Chester all have 1 more year in their belt and had an entire offseason with shanny and ZBS. no one really sees that!

Then why are the national media saying they don't look good?

We read one day that the Oline looks good,opening big holes and the offense marches down the field, not once...or twice..but three times.

Next day, the defense is everywhere, disrupting plays and causing turnovers.

I think they call this phenomenon Training Camp.

Archived