Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WESH: Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

China

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

FDLE looking into deputy-involved shooting

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. -

Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies shot and killed a man they assumed was an attempted murder suspect on Sunday, but they now know they shot the wrong man.

In the early-morning hours, deputies knocked on 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott's door without identifying themselves as law enforcement officers. Scott answered the door with a gun in his hand.

"When we knocked on the door, the door opened and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at deputies, and that's when we opened fire and killed him," Lt. John Herrell said. "Even though this subject is not the one we were looking for when he opened the door. He was pointing the gun at the deputy and if you put yourselves in the deputy's shoes. They were there to pick up someone who was wanted for an attempted homicide."

Officials said the deputies did not identify themselves because of safety reasons.

Click on the link for the full article

Wow. So, this dude thinks strangers are at his door at 1:30 AM so he arms himself for protection. Shame the cops didn't identify themselves, this could have been avoided.

I understand their reasoning for not identifying themselves, but they acted way too fast. Hard to put much of the blame on the victim here.

I guess the thinking is they didn't because the guy was wanted for attempted homicide and they didn't want him shooting at them from the house. A smart course of action...predicated upon them actually getting the house right in the first place :doh:

That's a shame. These days, I don't have much company. If somebody is knocking on my door at 1:21 am, I'm answering that door armed as well.

If you were going after somebody at that time of night, who has already tried to kill somebody, wouldn't you double check your info? Wrong door? Idiots.

Wow. So, this dude thinks strangers are at his door at 1:30 AM so he arms himself for protection. Shame the cops didn't identify themselves, this could have been avoided.

I understand their reasoning for not identifying themselves, but they acted way too fast. Hard to put much of the blame on the victim here.

Hard to put ANY of the blame on the victim.

Never aim a weapon in the direction of something you don't intend to destroy. Period.

Let's say the guy is clueless they're cops. (And apparently he was.) Is it standard procedure to open your door and make someone stare down your barrell before you ease up a little?

And spare me the "he thought someone was breaking in" routine. Someone up to know good isn't going to knock.

Sucks they knocked on the wrong door, but good shoot, IMO.

Sucks they knocked on the wrong door, but good shoot, IMO.

Are you ****ing kidding me? If you live in a less than great apartment building and you get a knock on the door at 1:21am, are you answering the door unarmed? With your girls inside?

Are you ****ing kidding me? If you live in a less than great apartment building and you get a knock on the door at 1:21am, are you answering the door unarmed? With your girls inside?

Armed, and aiming the weapon at the person, are two different things. If you blindly answer your door, pointing a gun at someone, you're an idiot. Who's to say it's not a 10-year old girl running to your apartment because her's is on fire?

But hey, **** the police and all. They should have just gotten shot for doing something they have EVERY legal right to do.

And spare me the "he thought someone was breaking in" routine. Someone up to know good isn't going to knock.

Agree with everything you said except this. I wouldn't put anything past people.

There was a rash of crimes in Baltimore where a crew imitated police (including fake uniforms) knocked on the door, pushed their way in claiming some kind of search, and then robbed the homeowners at gunpoint. A few victims were even shot and killed. I don't recall whether the perpetrators were ever caught.

Agree with everything you said except this. I wouldn't put anything past people.

There was a rash of crimes in Baltimore where a crew imitated police (including fake uniforms) knocked on the door, pushed their way in claiming some kind of search, and then robbed the homeowners at gunpoint. A few victims were even shot and killed. I don't recall whether the perpetrators were ever caught.

I should have qualified that with "most of the time," certainly.

*edit* I also should KNOW how to spell the two-letter word "no." :ols:

And that sounds like a God-awful case. Wow.

I can attest to this. I work for a property management company (apartments) and see incident reports every day of crimes. Although break-ins do occur, it's not uncommon for people to knock on resident's doors claiming they are somebody else, only to force their way in.

Armed, and aiming the weapon at the person, are two different things. If you blindly answer your door, pointing a gun at someone, you're an idiot. Who's to say it's not a 10-year old girl running to your apartment because her's is on fire?

But hey, **** the police and all. They should have just gotten shot for doing something they have EVERY legal right to do.

I am pro-police, but your loyalty is misguided. They shot an innocent man to death in his own home doing something that HE had every legal right to do.

I am pro-police, but your loyalty is misguided. They shot an innocent man to death in his own home doing something that HE had every legal right to do.

It's not "loyalty." It's an honest evaluation of the facts. I don't care if they're cops or not. If someone, again legally, knocks on someone else's door (cop or not) and finds a gun in their face, they have every right to defend themselves with deadly force.

---------- Post added July-17th-2012 at 11:07 AM ----------

What were they supposed to do? A suspected murderer's bike was parked in front of the apartment. They knock on the apartment door. They find a gun in their faces.

"Woops, pardon me, sir, but do you have any Grey Poupon?"

GTFO.

I pretty much agree with this. Its tragic that it happened but you don't ever point a gun at someone unless you very much intend to shoot them so the cops had to assume the worst. Especially since they were coming for someone who they believed had attempted murder already. If you feel you need to answer the door late at night with a gun then that can make sense but, as you alluded to, there is an enormous difference between having a gun and actually pointing it at someone.

Note that this is assuming the guy did point the gun at them. I am NOT calling those cops liars; I give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm just saying there is really no way for us to know 100%; people do panic.

It's not "loyalty." It's an honest evaluation of the facts. I don't care if they're cops or not. If someone, again legally, knocks on someone else's door (cop or not) and finds a gun in their face, they have every right to defend themselves with deadly force.

You are encroaching on someone elses property. They have every right to have a gun on their property. If someone came onto my property at 1:30 AM knocking on the door, and I went to the door with a gun, It would be completely in my rights to point a gun at them, and not within theirs to point one at me. Its my property. While I wouldnt do that as I dont think its a good idea, it would be within my rights to do so.

If it was a little girl I bet the same thing would have happened to her, that happened to the cops. Nothing.

Blind allegiance, not shocking. Heros don't make mistakes, right?

Was the guy making the best decision to point the gun towards them, when opening the door? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know what was going on in his life, maybe he had gambling problems. Who cares, he was within his rights and did nothing wrong, at all.

You are encroaching on someone elses property. They have every right to have a gun on their property. If someone came onto my property at 1:30 AM knocking on the door, and I went to the door with a gun, It would be completely in my rights to point a gun at them, and not within theirs to point one at me. Its my property. While I wouldnt do that as I dont think its a good idea, it would be within my rights to do so.

Encroaching? Really? Which states have laws against walking onto someone's porch and knocking on their door?

And I'm sorry, if you draw down on someone, it's kill or be killed. And damned skippy I'm going to try like hell to get a round off before you do.

If it was a little girl I bet the same thing would have happened to her, that happened to the cops. Nothing.

Blind allegiance, not shocking. Heros don't make mistakes, right?

I said nothing of the sort, and you know that damned good and well. It's a shame you have to resort to the tactics of less-educated, less-equipped-to-debate people and fabricate **** just for the sake of being able to argue with it.

It doesn't matter WHO you are, cop or not, if someone points a gun at you, you have the right to kill them. (I hope you were able to see that that time.)

Was the guy making the best decision to point the gun towards them, when opening the door? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know what was going on in his life, maybe he had gambling problems. Who cares, he was within his rights and did nothing wrong, at all.

:ols:

I have problems too. So I can just draw down on whoever I choose and expect people not to defend themselves? Sweet. :rolleyes:

I said nothing of the sort, and you know that damned good and well. It's a shame you have to resort to the tactics of less-educated, less-equipped-to-debate people and fabricate **** just for the sake of being able to argue with it.:

Riiiiight. If the guy whos door got knocked on was the cop and the two guys were knocking on it and shot him, your story would flip faster than a dog offered bacon. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt be surprised if the cops are lying about the "gun pointing at them" part
They are the only (living) witnesses. But split them up and get separate statements, and see how credible their story is.

There are a lot of facts missing. Were they plainclothes officers? Was there a peephole on the door or a window where the victim could have seen the cops with their weapons drawn? If they have their guns drawn and are not planning to identify themselves as the police, why are they knocking? If they are afraid that the suspect is going to resist arrest, wouldn't it make sense to force their way in and have the element of surprise? It seems like if you knock, then you should identify yourself.

Riiiiight. If the guy whos door got knocked on was the cop and the two guys were knocking on it and shot him, your story would flip faster than a dog offered bacon. :rolleyes:

OK. I get it. You can't argue with what I've actually said. I didn't think so.

Archived