Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo/AP: Tough ID laws could block thousands of 2012 votes

Larry

I think the Dems are on the losing side of this issue. Most think showing identification in order to vote is a reasonable requirement.

1) Yeah, it sounds perfectly reasonable. (Especially if you've been fed a steady diet of claims that the other side has legions of people voting illegally.)

2) Heck, I like the idea.

If it weren't for the fact that I have firsthand knowledge of just how difficult it can be, for some people (in my case, the elderly. And I assume that for the homeless, it's even tougher.) to obtain the stupid ID.

(I also like the idea of putting some effort into catching and prosecuting people who vote illegally. Frankly, I suspect that just a little bit of enforcement would go a long way to preventing whatever fraud that there is. Let's face it: One vote really doesn't count much. If there's so much as one chance in 1,000 that I might get hit with a $25 ticket, then nobody's going to do it. Because the reward is so small.)

(Although, if I were going to go after people voting illegally, what I'd look at are people who own multiple properties, voting in both places. My suspicion is that that particular kind of illegal voting would be ridiculously easy to do, at least if the multiple homes are in multiple states.)

I think the Dems are on the losing side of this issue. Most think showing identification in order to vote is a reasonable requirement.

You are correct. If you can keep the analysis to "soundbite" level, this is a clear winner for the GOP.

The result is the same, that's why it's a valid comparison.

"Democracy in action" can also be used to describe and justify the passing of the laws and measures like the "voter purge" in Florida.

No legal person is being denied the right to vote. And your definition of difficult is a variable. SOME action is required on the part of the voter. Youre arguing that the action proposed by the GOP is wrong, but that the actions proposed by the DEMs are right. I say they are the same.

Hmm, I wonder if you'd see it the same way if it were gun rights at issue instead of voting rights. I'm sure you would. :)

Hmm, I wonder if you'd see it the same way if it were gun rights at issue instead of voting rights. I'm sure you would. :)

Actually, his logic is great for people who have guns and might want to shoot people. You can shoot whoever you want because, hey, they were going to die some day anyway. The result is the same.

The cadet's logic is sound.

I'd rather see a better informed and knowledgeable electorate than a bigger one.

And you sir, don't understand the reason our nation was formed. It was meant to include everyone, not just 'the smart people'.

My little HS diploma from the state of VA outweighs most "college-educated" folks here in GA, and I'm not joking. I watch and pay attention to more news than anyone I know or work with.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 07:18 AM ----------

I would think that the United States would make it as easy as possible for registered voters to cast ballots using methods including but not limited to: voting holiday, move voting to several official days including a weekend day, extend early voting, early absentee ballots that are returned in time for vote counting instead of being counted as an afterthought in case the margin of victory is small, and so on.

It's disgraceful that our so-called "democracy" or "republic" has such low voter turnout. Everyone who is eligible to vote should register and should vote. Instead, we have lower voter turnout than some of the newer "democracies" including the ones we went to war to create.

I want voter expansion to all those eligible, not voter supression. And our state laws should facilitate this, not supress voters.

Where's that "like" button when you need it?

#equivalencyfail

You're absolutely right. It is a #equivalencyfail. It's OK impose an ID requirement on something as petty as a partisan press conference, yet it's not OK when it come to electing those who will rule your world.

So you agree. The less important the function, the greater the need for screening. Great!

You're absolutely right. It is a #equivalencyfail. It's OK impose an ID requirement on something as petty as a partisan press conference, yet it's not OK when it come to electing those who will rule your world.

So you agree. The less important the function, the greater the need for screening. Great!

Please go back and read the previous pages since it's already been well discussed and you will see what the objections center around.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 01:47 PM ----------

And you sir, don't understand the reason our nation was formed. It was meant to include everyone, not just 'the smart people'.

My little HS diploma from the state of VA outweighs most "college-educated" folks here in GA, and I'm not joking. I watch and pay attention to more news than anyone I know or work with.

I've hammered him a lot in this thread, but I do think what your saying here is unfair. He doesn't mention educational background and his point was simply that whoever is voting that he would rather them know about the choices and the positions they have on different issues. Doesn't matter if the person voting has 10 college degrees or is a high school drop out. Many people don't bother to know anything other than if there is an R or D besides the name and that's not necessarily a positive in a democracy.

The Dems are CONSTANTLY trying to limit access to guns. Personally, I support most of their efforts. But I think it's a great comparison. Both issues are about how difficult we make a "right" in this country to obtain.

The GOP is certainly making it less easy to cast a vote. And the Dems are making it less easy to buy a gun.

Both "rights" as spelled out in the Constitution.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 09:51 AM ----------

That joke was so yesterday :D

I slept in.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 09:53 AM ----------

^^^lmfao...I told Kilmer about the voter purge in his state, a while back, and he had no clue it was going on.

Hmmm. I dont think so there sugarbritches. But please tell me with your advanced HS degree why you know more about FLA politics than I do.

In Texas, a Student ID is not acceptable, but a Gun License is. Go figure.

To get a Gun License in Texas, you must already have a Legal License or Photo ID. Maybe we should require everybody to get a Gun License in order to Vote?

Kinda silly once you think about it yeah?

Now now. You know the intellectuals are better at this sort of thing than you.

~Bang

Not according to her- "My little HS diploma from the state of VA outweighs most "college-educated" folks here in GA, and I'm not joking. I watch and pay attention to more news than anyone I know or work with."

We can talk about how silly it is that million of people don't have ID, but that doesn't change the fact that an estimated 11% of eligible voters do not have proper photo ID to vote. Mostly poor, elderly, and minorities.

Yes, it is easy in our opinion to get ID.

Yes, it is seems insane that folks live without ID.

Yes, you have had an ID since you were 15 and can't imagine a world not having it or using it.

That is great. I actually agree. But all of that doesn't change the fact that MILLIONS of folks don't have proper ID, don't know how to get it, and/or are unable to get it.

If you want Photo Voter ID - Then state governments should fund enormous multi-year campaigns that does everything possible to make sure that 11% has a photo ID.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 10:41 AM ----------

I'd rather see a better informed and knowledgeable electorate than a bigger one.

Smaller electorates lead to extremists unwilling to compromise on both sides.

Our current low voter turnout models are creating a system where only the most conservative, most liberal, least compromising candidates are being elected - this is especially true in state governments where election turn outs are even lower than national elections.

IMO - when fewer people vote, you don't get more informed electorate, you get more extreme electorate.

Smaller electorates lead to extremists unwilling to compromise on both sides.

Our current low voter turnout models are creating a system where only the most conservative, most liberal, least compromising candidates are being elected - this is especially true in state governments where election turn outs are even lower than national elections.

IMO - when fewer people vote, you don't get more informed electorate, you get more extreme electorate.

I would say that an uninformed electorate will definitely lead to the same extreme partisanship currently on display in our government.

Personally, I think it's peoples civic duty to be a well informed voter and that we should have near 100% participation.

Archived