Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo/AP: Tough ID laws could block thousands of 2012 votes

Larry

Why is this a debate?

No ID=YOU DON'T GET TO VOTE.

It should really be that simple.

Oh what's that? You forgot your ID at home? Then go back and get it.

If you're not capable of understanding this simple concept, you probably shouldn't be voting anyway.

---------- Post added July-8th-2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

Twenty million hoops? Let's not be melodramatic.

It's not that hard to get an ID.

It can be for elderly people born at home, with no birth certificate. Lots of these folks have voted their whole lives.

Pennsylvania congressman said that "new voter id laws will ensure Mitt Romney gets elected". He said it, out loud, in a speech. Admitted what the agenda is. Voter fraud is not a problem. Shrinking the electorate so fewer people decide what happens to all of us is not cool. Especially when they're admitting it!

How about we show Voter Registration cards?

I'm sure we can make exceptions for the .005% of the people born in a house in a town with no internet or hospitals

If you are a minority or old you get to vote no matter what this year and in 2016 you have to have ID that is provided for free.

And EVEN THEN if you are a minority you still get to vote if you misplaced it as long as you sign something saying thats what happened.

Caucazoids must present ID though under 62yrs of age.

We all know Maryland is a Sanctuary State:

Voter Registration Card:

What information do I need to provide on the application?

In addition to basic identifying information, federal law requires that you must provide a Maryland driver's license or MVA ID Card number or, if you do not have a driver's license number, at least the last four digits of your social security number on your voter registration application. Your application will NOT be processed unless you provide this information or affirm, under penalty of perjury, that you do not have a driver's license or social security number.

Seems reasonable to me. Could we at least agree on the easiest way to vote and work from there?

SkinsMaryDu: Just as an excercise, do you think there may have been context behind that comment that might have been meant to make things more "equal" to allow Romney to win. Or is nuance only for the democrat writings?

No, that was an actual quote. He was touting the new laws passed, saying "done" after each one. And he said "Done" after the new voter id law too. I'll find it. You'd be shocked that he actually said it. I know I was.

edit-It's in a Boston Globe Editorial today as a matter of fact. And the quote "will allow Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania" is right there in the first paragraph.

What used to be the law in Virginia:

You register to vote using the required documents.

Virginia mails you a voter ID card. Gee, it doesn't have a photo, but it does have your polling place.

You take your Virginia-issued voter ID card to the polling place.

The poll workers takes the card, looks you up and double checks the address on the card with the polling sheet, and checks off your name. The poll worker then hands you a card permitting you to vote.

You get in line. When a voting position opens up, you take your card, give it to another poll worker and then you vote.

Now, of course with the Republicans in charge of everything in Virginia and the newly passed voter ID law, I will have to show my drivers license along with my Virginia-issued voter ID card.

It's ridiculous. It's like the bad old days when there were poll taxes and people had to answer "citizenship questions" in order to vote. It's restrictive and designed to prevent bona fide registered voters from voting.

We could also institute the "blue thumb" that Iraq did to indicate that people had already voted. We could also move voting day to the weekend days. And how does one see restricting pre-voting day voting to a couple of days down from a couple of weeks like Florida has done, or the wholesale purge of the voting rolls? All these laws are designed to restrict people from casting ballots. Our nation has an atrocious record of having low voter turnout. We should be encouraging our citizens to vote, not restrict voting. And notice I wrote "citizens."

LSF: I haven't presented a voter id card in a decade of voting. (I just tell them my name and read the address the lady has the ruler under).

---------- Post added July-9th-2012 at 09:22 AM ----------

No, that was an actual quote. He was touting the new laws passed, saying "done" after each one. And he said "Done" after the new voter id law too. I'll find it. You'd be shocked that he actually said it. I know I was.

edit-It's in a Boston Globe Editorial today as a matter of fact. And the quote "will allow Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania" is right there in the first paragraph.

So you don't see any other reason for it being said like his handler mentioned? Or are you reading only one article and calling it a day?

"Voter ID -- which is going to allow Gov. [Mitt] Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania -- done," Turzai told a group of cheering attendees at a Republican State Committee meeting.

Again: So you don't think he meant even if he is 100% wrong... Now that we have voter id we have leveled the playing field.... I get it, a gotcha moment that shouldn't go unsaid.

Though being a believer in some form of voter ID myself I agree with him to a point. Though like most issues i think there is a easy middle ground that helps the people and gives us a standard that should be maintained.

So you don't see any other reason for it being said like his handler mentioned? Or are you reading only one article and calling it a day?

I believe there is video of him saying it as well and it sounds as bad as it reads. What context do you think he meant it in? Do you believe the guy thinks that several hundred thousand illegal ballots were cast last election because that was the margin of victory in PA for Obama.

I believe there is video of him saying it as well and it sounds as bad as it reads. What context do you think he meant it in? Do you believe the guy thinks that several hundred thousand illegal ballots were cast last election because that was the margin of victory in PA for Obama.

Yes, there's video. And it does sound bad. And he meant what he said. They mean to keep hundreds of thousands of people from voting, and it's a targeted demographic.

So let me get this Straight: President Obama says the Private sector is fine and we need to understand what he meant.

A republican makes a statement and thats it... there was no meaning behind the sound byte?

Again, what do you think his meaning was? That there were hundreds of thousands of illegal votes last year and this will clean it up?

Again, what do you think his meaning was? That there were hundreds of thousands of illegal votes last year and this will clean it up?

Florida spent tens of thousands to find out they had less than 4% of their welfare recipients using drugs.

They then claimed that because 1400 didn't show up for the tests, that they were also drug users and the program was a success.

So they "caught" 4% of more than 119,000 recipients.

And amazingly, even though it was a major failure and a waste of taxpayer money, their followers eat it up and congratulate them on taking a tough stand on a problem that wasn't really a problem, (but just try to tell your avg. GOP voter that.)

Now they want to "catch" probably a smaller amount of fraudulent voters... who apparently are a major major problem, big enough to inconvenience millions and make it harder for legal citizens to vote.

(If you don't have anything to hide, then what do you have to worry about? Seems we've heard this logic before...)

Basically, anything they can do or say to keep the rubes and elderly fearful and angry at the 'undesirables' ruining their country is fair game.

It's amazing they can't see through it.

But then again, it's really not.

~Bang

Why is this a debate?

No ID=YOU DON'T GET TO VOTE.

It should really be that simple.

Oh what's that? You forgot your ID at home? Then go back and get it.

If you're not capable of understanding this simple concept, you probably shouldn't be voting anyway.

---------- Post added July-8th-2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

Twenty million hoops? Let's not be melodramatic.

It's not that hard to get an ID.

Agree 100% TJ. I mean, who here didn't know to bring an ID to a voting booth. I've only been doing that since 1988. It really is not that hard.

---------- Post added July-9th-2012 at 10:02 AM ----------

Everyone in this thread needs to realize that just because it is easy for you to get an ID doesn't mean its that easy for everybody.

Really? My wife wasn't even born in this country, but she showed the proper paperwork when she wasn't a US citizen, applied for a drivers license, passed the test and has been able to renew her license once when she became a citizen and the next time when we moved to a different address. I mean, unless you are illegal, you should be able to get a proper ID card with the required paperwork.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/floridas-voter-purge-explained/2012/06/18/gJQAhvcNlV_blog.html

Here is a good article on what is really happening with the Florida purge.

Homeland Security refused to give the State their list of noncitizens, which the state COULD have used to cross check and flag on voter rolls. Instead, the State had to use a method relying on DMV records.

It also shows that there were a total of 2700 people that were flagged. 2700........Not the tens of thousands the left wing screams about.

And of those, 500 people responded to the inquiry with the proper documents, and were NOT purged from the lsit. 40 people were found to have been registered to vote illegally. The rest did not or have not responded, so if they show up to vote, they will have to prove they are legal.

The other interesting fact in this article is that 178 of Voter Fraud have been referred to the Fla Dept of Law Enforcement since 2000.

All in a state where a National Election was decided by 537 votes.

We may be dealing with very small percentages. But sometimes elections are that close.

I'm not opposed to voters needing ID, but than every state should spend whatever it takes to ensure that every citizen has the proper ID.

Why should the state be responsible for providing IDs for everyone? That's on you to obtain one. It's not like they cost a fortune. About $15-$20 dollars.

Why should the state be responsible for providing IDs for everyone? That's on you to obtain one. It's not like they cost a fortune. About $15-$20 dollars.

Because last time I checked, voting is a right and not a privilege. It shouldn't cost a single dollar for any legal citizen to be able to vote in this country.

Because last time I check, voting is a right and not a privilege. It shouldn't cost a single dollar for any legal citizen to be able to vote in this country.

If we call it a tax, would that make it okay? We could even force people to vote.

I registered to vote in VA when I moved and went to the DMV and used Motor Voter to register. VA sent me a voter ID card on card stock and it probably cost the state very little and I didn't have to pay for it. But that wasn't good enough for the Republicans, so now I and every other registered voter with a VA issued voter ID card has to also present a photo ID. And that's just until the Republicans come up with some other sorry law to prevent legally registered voter from voting.

Because last time I checked, voting is a right and not a privilege. It shouldn't cost a single dollar for any legal citizen to be able to vote in this country.

And because it would also be illegal per the 24th amendment that bars poll taxes. I'd think that case could probably be argued successfully if it went to SCOTUS. That if the states are going to require IDs to vote in federal elections and they are not providing those IDs for free, then it is the equivalent of a poll tax.

Archived