Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Rick Reilly: The Redemption of Brian Banks (Redskins offering a tryout)

terpskins10

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7986979/redemption-brian-banks

It's not every day that the Washington Redskins call up a man convicted of rape and ask him if he'd agree to a one-day workout, but it happened Tuesday.

Oh, and the Kansas City Chiefs called Tuesday, too. And the Miami Dolphins. And they were three days behind the Seattle Seahawks, who will work him out on June 7.

Why are all these NFL teams eager to check out a convicted sex offender, a man who served five years in prison and wore a GPS ankle bracelet for another five?

Because Brian Banks didn't do it.

I, for one, am extremely glad we reached out. He had years of his life taken away and his future put in doubt, but our team is offering a chance to help him achieve his dreams.

I'm very proud of our organization today.

That is really, really cool of our team to do. I heard about this guy, felt incredibly sorry for him, and wondered if any NFL team would even give him a sniff.

Our classy organization did. :)

I would love to see him learn from Fletch and make it.

I hope that lying ***** of an accuser does some serious jail time. Not only did she screw over Banks, but she just added a shred of doubt to every woman who is legitimately raped.

To come through all that and still have a positive attitude is astonishing. Would be great to have a guy like that who would appreciate it soo much being on your team. I'll be rooting for him, here or somewhere else.

Yeah, that's pretty unreal. I'd love for his guy to still have the potential he had when he was robbed of his freedom. Hope he makes a team.

It said he's been training non-stop since October with an NFL trainer, so he may well still be in good football shape. His numbers he can do right now look good ...."dead-lift 545 pounds, box jump 55 inches flat-footed, broad jump 10-plus feet and run a 4.6 40, all at 6-foot-2 and 245 pounds. "

I was just reading about this brother's case last week and hoping that he would get an opportunity.. i'm so happy for him... I hope he does well enough for them to keep him through camp.. :) good for Mr. Banks!

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 11:52 AM ----------

That woman needs to go to jail for a long time. Unreal

and she needs to give back every single penny she got.

First Chase Minnifield, now Brian Banks. If both of them pan out, this might be one of the best UDFA classes in a long time.

*not comparing the two situations by any means. Just saying that our post-draft signings could become significant contributors to our team.

Such a shame that people are able to manipulate the justice system like this, but props to Brain Banks for taking the high road.

The most egregious thing about this situation is that she just started talking to him again like they were old friends and he just got back from a long vacation. It seems like she is completely oblivious that she stole almost ten years of the man's life.

I was just reading about this brother's case last week and hoping that he would get an opportunity.. i'm so happy for him... I hope he does well enough for them to keep him through camp.. :) good for Mr. Banks!

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 11:52 AM ----------

and she needs to give back every single penny she got.

Well I was reading this past weekend, she's now receiving govt. assistance as she blew all of that money. But I'm glad they reached out to Brian Banks and offered him a tryout. She deserves everything bad that comes to her.

I hope they bring charges against her. She's a POS. She should have to sit in prison for perjury.

I remember having a similar conversation when Mark Sanchez was accused of rape. I had a friend who was accused of rape and didn't do it, and I've had a conversation with a girl who claimed to have been raped and then later said it didn't happen.

I seriously doubt the whole, "the accuser should go to prison" thing will ever happen is because people would turn it into a stand against victims who come forward without proof. I wish there were a way to fix it, because I think anyone who falsely accuses someone of something that causes their life to be forever changed like that, should be lit on fire in a public square. But at this point if you even breathe a word of support for someone who's been accused, no matter how much you know about the situation, people will freak out whether or not they know anything about the people or the situation.

It's pretty messed up that in a system of "innocent until proven guilty" the guy is nearly always immediately labeled the liar, rapist, or criminal and his lawyer thought he had no shot at a fair trial apparently. Complete and utter BS and it should never happen. Here's to our imperfect ****** up world.

She wanted to get back together with him. Just ponder that for a moment. She wanted to get back together with him!!!

"Hi, Brian? It's me, Wanetta. You know, the girl who completely destroyed your reality? Listen, I'm really sorry about falsely accusing you of rape and sending you to prison and all that. Yes, I realize that I stole the best years of your life in return for $75,000...my bad! Say, what are you up to this weekend?"

That's some seriously low down ****. I'm rooting big time for Brain Banks, whether it be here or for some other team.

First Chase Minnifield, now Brian Banks. If both of them pan out, this might be one of the best UDFA classes in a long time.

*not comparing the two situations by any means. Just saying that our post-draft signings could become significant contributors to our team.

Banks is the longest of long-shots...IF he even makes the practice squad, expect Hollywood to come up with a script for his story. I wouldn't hold my breath that he makes the team (or any NFL team). What I do hope is that he can somehow get his life back in order through employment somewhere. I read that the Arizona D-backs have offered him a FO job.

Only concern I have is if he gets a tryout with Seattle (scheduled June 7th) first, he will never make it out of their w/o a contract. They will sign him that day as Carroll had him coming to USC before all this crap happened. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we work him out before they do.:)

Archived