Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Rick Reilly: The Redemption of Brian Banks (Redskins offering a tryout)

terpskins10

This girl really is a POS. For 5 years, she kept her mouth shut, knowing he was in there because of a lie. Then when he gets out, she decides to hit him up on facebook. There are two scary stories here. 1) how the judicial systems failed him and, 2) how indifferent someone can be like she is. What environment was she raised in to make her think this was acceptable?

While I am extremely happy that he is no longer a convicted felon and getting a shot at the NFL, why is he suing the state? Why isn't he suing the lying beotch that put him in prison? Why isn't the school district's insurance company suing to get the money back? Why isn't she going to jail?

I'm not saying Banks is guilty, I'm just reminding some people on this board that it was Banks' decision to plea rather than fight allegations.

you're saying he should have gone to trial rather than take a plea?

While I am extremely happy that he is no longer a convicted felon and getting a shot at the NFL, why is he suing the state? Why isn't he suing the lying beotch that put him in prison?

Because you ALWAYS sue the deep pockets. Miss thang probably doesn't have a dime to her name anymore.

you're saying he should have gone to trial rather than take a plea?

I'm not an attorney, my only knowledge of the legal system comes from novels and Law and Order. But if it was me, I would have fought the charges tooth and nail. No way would I roll over and let that ***** send me to prison.

I apologize for hijacking the thread, maybe this beast should be moved to the tailgate.

I'm not an attorney, my only knowledge of the legal system comes from novels and Law and Order. But if it was me, I would have fought the charges tooth and nail. No way would I roll over and let that ***** send me to prison.

I apologize for hijacking the thread, maybe this beast should be moved to the tailgate.

in principle, i'm with you one thousand percent. but in reality, youre being told you essentially have 2 choices, bad and worse, when its your own freedom on the line, and you have 60+ years hanging over your head, and youre hearing from your counsel that you will probably lose, its a little harder to stand on principle.

i had 99 years hanging over my head once. it was that, or plea to a more serious charge that i was not guilty of that carried a 5 year max. the judge wakes up and doesnt get his coffee that morning, your screwed.

kind of a quirk in the CJS, but very effective.

I don't think finding DNA evidence to convict someone, or to save someone from being wrongly prosecuted is so hard, criminals all loose hair, skin tissues, semen, etc.... on a crime scene. You can find them not necessarily on the body of the victim, but on the floor, bed, sofa.

I didn't make that part up: "Today, Brian Banks is out. But this happy ending leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of Mr. Brooks. Also director of the CIP, it is particularly well placed to observe the limits of American justice. "The sad thing is that this case was literally the voice of the complainant against the accused. There was a certain lack of evidence and no DNA test was done. " :)

I'm cool don't worry, sorry if my post seemed to be aggressive, that was not my intention, I just wanted you to clarify your opinion and discussing it.

Translated link

I know that you're not a bad guy. :)

The fact that the guy who was fighting for him saying that there was no DNA test done doesn't do anything for your point, though. As is mentioned later in the thread, finding his hair/skin/whatever wouldn't prove or disprove anything. I've been at crime scenes before, and I'm not a criminal. Your hair ends up in places, especially in a school, so that wouldn't do much. Semen dies less than 120 hours after a crime, and it doesn't just slowly fade away. Remember that the part with DNA, the sperm, is actually "alive", so when it dies, it decays, and there isn't any DNA. Skin is the same as hair.

Anyway, the reason that he took the plea is because of *******s like the rapist who quarterbacks the Steelers. He's big and he's an athlete. And he's black. His lawyer was right to advise him to plea, because he wasn't getting a "not guilty" verdict. If you're effed either way, then you take the plea.

I'm glad that he was exonerated and that her story was recanted. Unfortunately it stokes the baseless stereotype that all accusers are liars, and that's pretty much the opposite of the truth.

I understand but the fact is he was going to resist but didn't. The fact is, he would have probably gotten 40 years. And never had a chance to clear his name.

Think about it. He was in a no-win situation because the DA was going to nail him. I would DEFINITELY fight a murder charge but rape is just...it's not the same in this society. Ultimately, his bad decision (in your eyes) saved his life.

Do you get that? He would have been out of sight and out of mind, forgotten even by his persecutor.

This girl really is a POS. For 5 years, she kept her mouth shut, knowing he was in there because of a lie. Then when he gets out, she decides to hit him up on facebook. There are two scary stories here. 1) how the judicial systems failed him and, 2) how indifferent someone can be like she is. What environment was she raised in to make her think this was acceptable?

American society is very accepting towards lying to achieve a certain end, especially if it's money on the line. People are socialized to lie for benefits. Calumny is not even a word familiar to most people.

Just give him a job - on the field, front office, I dont care - the guy deserves it!

---------- Post added June-1st-2012 at 01:01 AM ----------

you could fight the charges until you were blue in the face, so what??? - I watch law and order too (lol) and the one thing I have learned is take the plea!!! - I mean he had to know on the advice of his own lawyer that things were not looking good taking it to trial - so you would have risked spending half your life in jail or taking the plea?? 16 year old african american who is a bigshot football player gets accused of rape - he wasnt exactly holding the cards you know? - The accuser should be put in jail for 5 years.

If I know I'm innocent, I choose to fight the charges, as would 99% of same people.

YOU know you are innocent, but YOU'D have to convince 12 other people and physically prove it. Unfortunately in this particular case, it was his word against hers and you know who they would have believed.

If I know I'm innocent, I choose to fight the charges, as would 99% of same people.

99 percent of sane people would take a .1% chance of winning vs. 40 years behind bars over guaranteed being out in 5?

Remember, it isn't like new evidence came out to clear Banks's name a few years after the case. The very fact that he was out of jail was the only reason Gibson contacted him and, as a result, confessed to lying. Had he stood his ground and took it to trial, there's a 99% he'd be in jail for the next 30ish years, barring parole.

I understand principle, and I understand faith, but this is how our justice system works. Unfortunately, we send many innocent people to jail every year and Banks, in 99% likelihood, would have just been another.

YOU know you are innocent, but YOU'D have to convince 12 other people and physically prove it. Unfortunately in this particular case, it was his word against hers and you know who they would have believed.

Actually, you just need to convince 1 of the 12 because the jury needs to be unanimous. If 1 holds out, the jury is hung and there is no conviction. BUT... he would still have that monicker of being a rapist.

I'm with you. I think we do everything we can to get him a backup role and on the field for special teams. I really hope he is in shape!! Everyone is rooting for this kid!

I wouldn't go that far.

He was accused, and subsequently convicted, of rape. I'm glad that the guy got another shot, but I'm in no way willing to give him a job at McDonald's if he doesn't qualify/earn it (Robert Henson reference of the day), let alone giving him a roster spot.

Yes, I know, he was a star in high school and was being recruited by USC, but thousands upon thousands of kids are recruited and don't end up even making their college squads.

A real man wants his redemption, and that's a whole different can of worms from a pity position.

His lawyer gave him the right advice. Rape is the one charge where the burden of proof is on the accused, not the accuser. This girl got a 1.5 million dollar settlement from the school system over this, and even after he got out of jail told him she wouldn't clear him of rape in court because she didn't want to lose that money, she wouldn't have backed off from those claims at his original trial either. She's already going to hell, I just hope our justice system is willing to actually provide justice and put her in jail for 30+ years.

I wouldn't go that far.

He was accused, and subsequently convicted, of rape. I'm glad that the guy got another shot, but I'm in no way willing to give him a job at McDonald's if he doesn't qualify/earn it (Robert Henson reference of the day), let alone giving him a roster spot.

Yes, I know, he was a star in high school and was being recruited by USC, but thousands upon thousands of kids are recruited and don't end up even making their college squads.

A real man wants his redemption, and that's a whole different can of worms from a pity position.

Convicted of something that DID NOT OCCUR, and the "victim" even said so straight to a private investigator. Hell, the "victim" friended him on Facebook first.

Archived