Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Rick Reilly: The Redemption of Brian Banks (Redskins offering a tryout)

terpskins10

This is a terrible and sad story that happened to him, I wish him well, and hope he can recover from his jail time. Can't believe the court sentenced him without a DNA test !.

That's a common misunderstanding. In the vast majority of sex crime cases, there isn't DNA evidence.

I'm thrilled to see that he's getting another shot. I'll be pulling for him.

That's a common misunderstanding. In the vast majority of sex crime cases, there isn't DNA evidence.

I'm thrilled to see that he's getting another shot. I'll be pulling for him.

Why do you say there is no DNA evidence in most of the sex crimes ?

DNA is easily retrievable from one’s blood, saliva, semen, hair or skin tissue.

In this case, as I understood it, they didn't even try to look for DNA evidence !.

Why do you say there is no DNA evidence in most of the sex crimes ?

DNA is easily retrievable from one’s blood, saliva, semen, hair or skin tissue.

In this case, as I understood it, they didn't even try to look for DNA evidence !.

I say that because there is no DNA evidence in most sex crimes. :)

Biological evidence is unbelievably fragile. Think about all of the ways that you can die: Too hot, too cold, not enough air, no food, no water, etc.

Quick: Tell me *EXACTLY* what you're supposed to do if you experience a sexual assault. From the absolute second it is over. Eat? Bye bye, DNA. Drink? Bye bye, DNA. Brush your teeth? Bye bye, DNA. Pee? Bye bye, DNA. Shower? Bye bye, DNA. Change clothes? Bye bye, DNA. Put your clothes in anything that's not an aerated paper bag? Bye bye, DNA. Wait more than a couple of days to report? Bye bye, DNA.

I also think that you're making that last part up. It is part of EVERY investigation to find as much evidence as possible. Nobody gains anything from being sued, and we're not talking about someone with a lot of political clout.

Calm down. :)

I say that because there is no DNA evidence in most sex crimes. :)

Biological evidence is unbelievably fragile. Think about all of the ways that you can die: Too hot, too cold, not enough air, no food, no water, etc.

Quick: Tell me *EXACTLY* what you're supposed to do if you experience a sexual assault. From the absolute second it is over. Eat? Bye bye, DNA. Drink? Bye bye, DNA. Brush your teeth? Bye bye, DNA. Pee? Bye bye, DNA. Shower? Bye bye, DNA. Change clothes? Bye bye, DNA. Put your clothes in anything that's not an aerated paper bag? Bye bye, DNA. Wait more than a couple of days to report? Bye bye, DNA.

I also think that you're making that last part up. It is part of EVERY investigation to find as much evidence as possible. Nobody gains anything from being sued, and we're not talking about someone with a lot of political clout.

Calm down. :)

I don't think finding DNA evidence to convict someone, or to save someone from being wrongly prosecuted is so hard, criminals all loose hair, skin tissues, semen, etc.... on a crime scene. You can find them not necessarily on the body of the victim, but on the floor, bed, sofa.

I didn't make that part up: "Today, Brian Banks is out. But this happy ending leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of Mr. Brooks. Also director of the CIP, it is particularly well placed to observe the limits of American justice. "The sad thing is that this case was literally the voice of the complainant against the accused. There was a certain lack of evidence and no DNA test was done. " :)

I'm cool don't worry, sorry if my post seemed to be aggressive, that was not my intention, I just wanted you to clarify your opinion and discussing it.

Translated link

Why in the hell did this guy voluntarily make a plea that put him in jail for 5 years??? Something is fishy here. If I knew I was innocent, no way in hell would I plea.

His attorney advised him to plead No Contest. He said that he was a teenaged black kid. No jury would believe him.

I don't think finding DNA evidence to convict someone, or to save someone from being wrongly prosecuted is so hard, criminals all loose hair, skin tissues, semen, etc.... on a crime scene. You can find them not necessarily on the body of the victim, but on the floor, bed, sofa.

I didn't make that part up: "Today, Brian Banks is out. But this happy ending leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of Mr. Brooks. Also director of the CIP, it is particularly well placed to observe the limits of American justice. "The sad thing is that this case was literally the voice of the complainant against the accused. There was a certain lack of evidence and no DNA test was done. " :)

I'm cool don't worry, sorry if my post seemed to be aggressive, that was not my intention, I just wanted you to clarify your opinion and discussing it.

Translated link

From what I read he allegedly assaulted her at school. Finding his hair/skin cells in a school he attends proves nothing.

Why in the hell did this guy voluntarily make a plea that put him in jail for 5 years??? Something is fishy here. If I knew I was innocent, no way in hell would I plea.

You are very uninformed about our justice system, then. There are actually many innocent people that are influenced to take a plea, because they are told they have no chance in court. It's a choice between 5 to 10 or 25+ usually. Many cases never make it to court because of this.

Skins are doing a nice thing, giving this guy some press and such. I'd have to say it's a ridiculous longshot that he makes an NFL roster. This is basically a 26-year old high school senior who hasn't played ball in 10 years or ever even played college ball. To say he's got some catching up to do is an understatement. Sounds like he'd be well-served to take the D-backs job.

Also...maybe he could consider taking a college scholarship. I wonder if USC still wants him.

Not only did she screw over Banks, but she just added a shred of doubt to every woman who is legitimately raped.

No one ever adds this kind of qualifier to other false charges of crimes (for example a person falsely accused of murder or a false charge of theft.) Suffice to say, I no longer care about how hard it is for this or that person, I care about Banks receiving justice and recompense.

I've even heard people say "the worst thing is this will make it harder." No, the worst thing is Mr. Banks had his life and dreams stolen away and our system made it easy for it to happen.

If a top prospect headed to USC or Michigan can have this happen when he didn't even have sex with the girl and the rape kit was negative..what do you think is happening all over this country with Joe Averages?

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 09:34 AM ----------

And he was given, what, 10 minutes to decide...lol

Great system we have going here. Don't think for a minute that Banks is the only one either. With that particular kind of crime, I think people underestimate (greatly) the number of false allegations that are successfully brought to trial (if not where a conviction is made.)

From what I read he allegedly assaulted her at school. Finding his hair/skin cells in a school he attends proves nothing.

Depends...finding his DNA at the precise spot of the alleged rape may hold some merit. I highly doubt his DNA is on every inch of the school...and I highly doubt the accuser would know where those exact spots are that have his DNA.

The important part would be what type of DNA evidence he would have left behind. If it's semen, you can't chalk that up to him simply being a student at the school lol...("He's a student here! Why, his semen is probably all over the school hallways!")

Keep in mind that Banks went to jail not because a court wrongfully found held him guilty of the charges against him, but because he pled no contest to Gibson's accusations.

as someone with some experience regarding plea bargains, when your attorney tells you that you may very well be found guilty of a charge and sentenced to a very long prison sentence, or you could plea and be guaranteed to serve far less time, you suck it up and take the plea.

I just hope that he is not just given a spot based on his story. He needs to earn a spot just like everyone else.

You do not need to worry about that. We aren't wasting a roster spot on a mascot/press opportunity.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 12:37 PM ----------

Keep in mind that Banks went to jail not because a court wrongfully found held him guilty of the charges against him, but because he pled no contest to Gibson's accusations.

We have all kept that in mind. Keep in mind that Banks had an attorney who convinced him that as a gigantic black teenager, he was better off taking the plea than risking most of his life in jail. This is the reality of the situation he was in.

We have all kept that in mind. Keep in mind that Banks had an attorney who convinced him that as a gigantic black teenager, he was better off taking the plea than risking most of his life in jail. This is the reality of the situation he was in.

as someone with some experience regarding plea bargains, when your attorney tells you that you may very well be found guilty of a charge and sentenced to a very long prison sentence, or you could plea and be guaranteed to serve far less time, you suck it up and take the plea.

I'm not saying Banks is guilty, I'm just reminding some people on this board that it was Banks' decision to plea rather than fight allegations.

Archived