Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nas vs Jay-Z. Who's the better rapper?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Nas by a landslide. Illmatic is the greatest hip-hop album of all time.

Jay "I dumbed down for my audience and doubled my dollars" Z can take the popular vote, but true hip hop heads will always know the truth.

Although I won't go as harsh as that, I'll definitely agree that he has just become nothing more than a complacent businessman than a pure artist these days. I admittedly still listen to pretty much all of his stuff even now, but it is nowhere near the level of stuff that he put out 7-8 years ago. He is more "Mainstream wine and cheese" now than Nas, who still maintains nearly all of the grittyness that he came out with.

I know Jay kinda sounded off on that in "On To The Next One," but it's the truth.

And on a side note if you have not listened to Mecca and the Soul Brother, I will stop you in your tracks if you tell me you're a diehard hip hop fan. Cause you ain't. I mean I know so-called hip hop fans that haven't gone through Illmatic or Enter the Wu. It's like...what.

And on a side note if you have not listened to Mecca and the Soul Brother, I will stop you in your tracks if you tell me you're a diehard hip hop fan. Cause you ain't. I mean I know so-called hip hop fans that haven't gone through Illmatic or Enter the Wu. It's like...what.

You can't front on me...

QUOTE=Sticksboi05;9000113]Swimmin' in beats like a Dolphin, so call me Don Shula or a Raider, well, like Art Shell, crazy defense, a Pro Bowl with soul for local events.

I doubt most dudes around our age have even heard that song before. Pete Rock is Legend.

QUOTE=Sticksboi05;9000113]Swimmin' in beats like a Dolphin, so call me Don Shula or a Raider, well, like Art Shell, crazy defense, a Pro Bowl with soul for local events.

I doubt most dudes around our age have even heard that song before. Pete Rock is Legend.

Would estimate of hip hop fans well over 75% our age have never gone through MATSB and it's a damn shame.

Ive never been a Nas fan. Ive tried to make myself like/listen to him, and I just cant. I like the usual three songs everyone likes (Ether, Got Yourself A Gun, and Hate Me Now ) but thats it. Team HOV all day. But, to each his own.

...Get it? More in Carmen...

It's a classic debate however no one is either right or wrong. It's a matter of taste and who really speaks more to you. It's like asking who is the best football, baseball or basketball player. Everyone will have a different answer for valid reasons. Or even who is the sexiest woman, we will never agree because people like different things.

I remember arguing with a friend of mine back in the day about who the best was between Biggie and Tupac. We argued for hours when we finally realized we weren't going to convince the other person because we valued different things in a rapper. I was always Team Biggie because I believe his word play was flawless. While my friend was Team Tupac because he felt like he was a voice for the people.

I used to always say Nas, and now I say Jay-Z. But, Illmatic and It Was Written are better than any Jay-Z albums. While most Nas albums recently have been decent, they have nothing that makes you go back to them.

Early Nas > All Jay-Z

Jay-Z > Nas post It Was Written

Biggie > All.

Most people who don't say Biggie argue he didn't have enough music...thats garbage. Dude was the best rapper hands down. Flow, word play, story telling, the man did it all.

Ive never been a Nas fan. Ive tried to make myself like/listen to him, and I just cant. I like the usual three songs everyone likes (Ether, Got Yourself A Gun, and Hate Me Now ) but thats it. Team HOV all day. But, to each his own.

...Get it? More in Carmen...

That may explain everything because none of those are on Illmatic.

I'm not going to vote in this poll because I feel that both are good at doing their thin own thing. With that being said...

Before I stopped listening to secular rap, the last album I listened to was American Gangster by Jay Z. The album was a classic imo. The flow, the beats, and the storytelling was all there.

But like I said, I am not voting. It's too close to call.

I still listen to T.R.O.Y. Actually I listen to a lot of older stuff, it has a lot more meaning that the crap that is put out today. Hell, I still got Mobb Deep, Hell on Earth in my CD changer in my car.

I got to go with NAS on this one. I feel that he doesn't even really try and the stuff he puts out is great. When he decides to get serious, it goes to a whole new level. He's the best to me.

Nas has higher highs and lower lows.

Illmatic beats anything Jay did or can ever do. Its just that good. NY State of Mind. Life's a *****, Whose World is This, Halftime, One Love, It Aint Hard To Tell. Jay can never touch that.

But I AM. Complete Crap.

Um, Streets Disciple? I think not.

Even HipHop is Dead wasn't anything special.

Jay tried to be like Nas and realized that he's got to stay in his lane cause people don't like teh introspective Jay-Z.

But neither could touch Pac. Nas is only great cause he's doing what Pac can no longer do because he's no longer here. And Pac called him on that in Against All Odds.

I still listen to T.R.O.Y. Actually I listen to a lot of older stuff, it has a lot more meaning that the crap that is put out today. Hell, I still got Mobb Deep, Hell on Earth in my CD changer in my car.

I got to go with NAS on this one. I feel that he doesn't even really try and the stuff he puts out is great. When he decides to get serious, it goes to a whole new level. He's the best to me.

I have a Pete Rock & CL Smooth mix CD that I just made last week bumpin in my car now. So many classic tracks. The beats and storytelling are second to none.

Archived